Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
    vCash
    ^She mentions 'one more time' in her interview. I think she'll effectively retire after this season.

vCash
    She's quite a lady.
    I'll enjoy seeing her in Boston, wherever she places.

vCash
    I read the Headline in the Link..Former Champion?

vCash
    OH,NO!!!!!!!!! Not Rachael Flatt!!! I hope she's not Retiring for a loooooooooooooooong time. She's too gorgous a Skater AND very well Loved!!

vCash
    In the pic with Rudy Galindo and Kristi Yamaguchi Rachael looks very pretty, very elegant in that black sequined dress. I was never a fan but I really admire the way that she sets her goals - and goes for them! I think I'm going to try her stickee trick to see if that helps me get more organized too. I keep forgetting things that I have to do!

vCash
    Rachel I wish I could see her swan song there.

vCash
    I'll bet she skates really well in Boston. As a veteran, going through this for her own personal reasons, the pressure won't be there. Hopefully she can skate and enjoy and be in the moment.

vCash
    Rachael wrote about her Thanksgiving holiday and her upcoming plans on her official site: http://www.figureskatersonline.com/r...ok-112013.html
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I am thinking that she is just one of the senior women that will come at these nationals, smarter trained and prepared then we have ever seen before. The nationals could turn out to be the best showing of US women in many years, whereas the young up starts make rookie mistakes and the older girls put on performances. But what will the judges do, that is the 64 dollar question now isn't it. In the end the fans really will win

vCash
    Rachael is long past competing for a spot on the podium.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I'm not a fan but I will never, ever count out Rachael Flatt. At 2012 nationals, she might have medaled had she not been in the penultimate group. This was after a horrific season, difficult practices, her looking out of shape, a less-than-ideal coaching situation and much less ice time than she was used to. Despite all those setbacks, she lit up the arena in 2012 in her long program. It could happen again. If I had to bet, I'd say she doesn't medal but I won't count her out just yet. And besides a 4th place finish at US nationals counts as a spot on the podium.

vCash
    While I am of the belief that Flatt will not be a contender for the 2014 team, if she can put out a solid showing (similar to what she did in 2012) and be happy with herself, that would be a victory in itself.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Two years ago Caroline Zhang somehow got a pewter medal. Weird things happen.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I was at 2012 and I am a Flatt fan. I completely disagree with the judgement that she 'lit up the arena' with her LP and that she would have medaled if she skated later. It was a valiant effort but she clearly ran out of steam at the end and placed right about where she deserved. As for this season, based on her scores so far, I think making the Olympic team is a pipe dream -- she didn't even win her Sectionals. An awful lot of other skaters would have to go down in flames for it to happen.

As a fan, I'm hoping for what RD wrote: a solid showing and being happy with herself and her skate.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I second that, MacMadame. I was there as well. Not a fan but I do admit she had a respectable showing in the LP, especially in comparison to the SP at the 2012 Nationals. But "lit up the arena" is a far cry from what happened.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    I was at 2012 and I am a Flatt fan. I completely disagree with the judgement that she 'lit up the arena' with her LP and that she would have medaled if she skated later. It was a valiant effort but she clearly ran out of steam at the end and placed right about where she deserved. As for this season, based on her scores so far, I think making the Olympic team is a pipe dream -- she didn't even win her Sectionals. An awful lot of other skaters would have to go down in flames for it to happen.

As a fan, I'm hoping for what RD wrote: a solid showing and being happy with herself and her skate.
    I was also there in 2012 so we will agree to disagree. I don't recall anyone getting a louder ovation than Rachael in the long program and that's coming from someone who was cheering for Wagner and was thrilled when she won.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post

^All of this! Including Rachael in discussions for a Sochi place is SILLY, I hope she's happy with her skates and we'll leave it at that.

vCash
    Who is saying she's going to Sochi? Jammers said she is long past competing for the podium and I argued that a top 4 finish is not impossible. She would need to skate cleanly and hope Gao, Hicks and Nagasu have meltdowns, but that's happened once this year for all of them, so it's not impossible. Like I said, I don't expect Rachael to place top 4 but I don't think it's as preposterous as everyone else thinks it is. Leave Sochi out of it. A podium finish and Sochi-bound are two entirely different things. It's not the same thing. Hell even if she finishes top 6, that's not a long way from the podium. That's just two spots away.
    Last edited by fenway2; 12-01-2013 at 02:02 AM.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    I was also there in 2012 so we will agree to disagree. I don't recall anyone getting a louder ovation than Rachael in the long program and that's coming from someone who was cheering for Wagner and was thrilled when she won.

There was a sizable Stanford contingent, being that the school is so close by. They made a lot of noise for Rachael, which is understandable. Chances are they don't know that much about skating and were supporting their classmate. That said, the standing ovation for Wagner was pretty intense.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    There was a sizable Stanford contingent, being that the school is so close by. They made a lot of noise for Rachael, which is understandable. Chances are they don't know that much about skating and were supporting their classmate. That said, the standing ovation for Wagner was pretty intense.
    Yes, I know about Stanford and its close proximity to the arena. Wagner did get a loud ovation, but I still stand by my comment that Flatt got the biggest ovation of the night. I can't even believe we're debating applause decibels from a 2-year-old competition. Nationals can't get here fast enough.

Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast