Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

vCash
    Christina Gao's first Senior B assignment was just this year (Nepela Trophy). Agnes Zawadzki did not have a Senior B before her Senior Grand Prix debut in the fall of 2010 (when she was still with Zakrajsek). Brandon Mroz never went to a Senior B until this past spring (his only international assignment last season). The Salt Lake Senior B gave USFS more slots and options starting last year. I assume Wagner has had the option to compete in a Senior B in recent years but has elected not to take it (she was able to test her FS at Japan Open this year, which is not USFS-assigned).

ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by ManiDani View Post
    I believe Rachael was assigned to Ice Challenge in Graz last season, but she had to withdraw due to her injury. Other than that, I cannot remember her being assigned to a Senior B.
    Last season was the first time Flatt only had one initial Grand Prix assignment. USFS often will assign a Senior B to a skater in such cases.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 10-18-2013 at 05:20 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Most of the time, it's considered "better" to be assigned to a SGP than a Senior B. To act like a skater consistently assigned to SGP events has somehow been passed over because they haven't also been assigned to Senior Bs is a bit mystifying to me.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Most of the time, it's considered "better" to be assigned to a SGP than a Senior B. To act like a skater consistently assigned to SGP events has somehow been passed over because they haven't also been assigned to Senior Bs is a bit mystifying to me.
    Most of the time? I think you could say all of the time. Senior Bs are kind of consolation prizes... I think it is better to be last at a Grand Prix than it is to win a Senior B if you weren't invited to the GP at all.

vCash
    Are Sr B events really a consolation prize? USFS has utilized Sr B events for the ice dance program on a number of occasions for their elite teams, ie Davis and White in 2009; the Shibs have been sent to two Sr B events. Consolation prize or different goals for US dance program?

Edited to add...
    Is it just about ISU points or getting a buzz going about certain teams/skaters as the SGP events start up?
    Last edited by B.Cooper; 10-18-2013 at 06:32 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Most of the time? I think you could say all of the time. Senior Bs are kind of consolation prizes... I think it is better to be last at a Grand Prix than it is to win a Senior B if you weren't invited to the GP at all.
    In terms of clout your skating carries with USFSA, that could well be the case. In terms of what that does for your ranking, not so much. Finishing 8th in a GP=191 pts (lower = no pts). Winning a Senior B =250 pts
    Last edited by ioana; 10-18-2013 at 07:24 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Cooper View Post
    Are Sr B events really a consolation prize? USFS has utilized Sr B events for the ice dance program on a number of occasions for their elite teams, ie Davis and White in 2009; the Shibs have been sent to two Sr B events. Consolation prize or different goals for US dance program?
    Maybe I haven't followed it closely enough, but it seemed for singles skaters, the ones who got Sr. Bs got them because they didn't get on the Grand Prix. Perhaps dance is different.
    Personally, I am really glad that this year they seem to be sending skaters to lots of senior Bs, including the GP skaters. I think it is better than the idea they are for also rans.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Cooper View Post
    Are Sr B events really a consolation prize? ...
    Is it just about ISU points or getting a buzz going about certain teams/skaters as the SGP events start up?
    Why not all of the above?

Giving skaters returning from injury, who may already have or be in the running for GP assignments, is yet another reason senior Bs have been used in the past.

Different skaters going to the same event may have been assigned for different reasons.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I think that who gets sent has changed as the rules changed. It's more common to send bigger names now to non-GP events because there is more to be gained by attending (i.e., points towards your ranking). I suspect that this is part of the reason the ISU has changed some of the rules they have changed -- to get skaters at these competitions and not just have the same handful of names competing at the same handful of comps year after year.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    I agree that the senior B events are getting more recogniition because of the changes, and it's a good thing for both the event and the skater. A win-win situation on both sides. jmho.

vCash
    Checking out something in Rachael's bio, I was surprised at how many coaches she has had during her career: 10. I thought she had always been with Tom until she went to Stanford.

What makes an event a senior B?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Getting early and continuing feedback from an international panel, especially on levels, has become increasingly strategic, as is using them as a warm-up for the GPs, they haven't been in international competitions since the previous March (or April, if they do WTT) . With fewer GP spots -- actual and available -- second-tier skaters and new Seniors wanting feedback on senior-level programs can use them to improve their programs. I haven't done a count, but it seems that teams are changing programs more regularly within the season, and Senior B's give them a chance to preview new programs and revised ones. For first-tier skaters with just a week or two before GP's, it gives them a chance to incorporate feedback they got from GPs and test drive them in front of international judges and panels. For second-tier skaters, getting the Worlds TES minimums has not been easy, and the Senior B's as a whole don't have the entry obstacles of a GP.

Reducing the number of GP spots, not replacing late withdrawals, and allowing for "comeback" skaters/teams is hard for all disciplines, but the "split couple" rule also impacts Pairs and Dance, and they have the smallest fields to begin with.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    It's an annoying internet term for international non-ISU (but ISU-sanctioned) competitions.

Such competitions have international judging and technical panels, aren't invitational (so anybody can enter, barring space limitations, provided they go through their national federations) and skaters competing in them are eligible for ISU ranking points (two such events count for points every season).

You can find a full list of all of them in the events calendar on the ISU website.

vCash

It is an ISU sanctioned event that is not part of the Grand Prix series or a Championship.

Oops- I got beat by Ziggy. But is it really an "internet term"? USFSA uses it on their website to define who is a member of Team USA. Why would they use it if it was just an "annoying internet term". http://www.usfsa.org/Athletes.asp?id=209

So maybe rather than internet term it is a US term? (The "B" series of events, as opposed to the A.)

vCash
    Checking out something in Rachael's bio, I was surprised at how many coaches she has had during her career: 10. I thought she had always been with Tom until she went to Stanford.
    Tom Zakrajsek was Flatt's coach for most of her career while training at the Broadmoor SC in Colorado Springs, CO (assisted by Becky Calvin, Erik Schulz, and Eddie Shipstad, among others). I assume you are referencing her wiki, and I believe the other coaches listed were the ones that started her out in San Diego and then the first year she qualified for Junior Nationals at the Juvenile level in 2001-02 when she represented the Rocky Mountain FSC in Westminster, Colorado (Cindy Sullivan still coaches at that club and currently coaches Mariah Bell). I know Flatt already was with Zakrajsek when she won her 2005 U.S. Novice title.

ETA: She must have started skating with Zakrajsek when she was skating pairs with Andrew Speroff from 2001-04. I found an old bio of Flatt's that includes "Formerly coached by Cindy Sullivan and Robi Chalmers (2000-01), and Tiffany Mayes and Suzy Semanick Schurman (1997-2000)."
    Last edited by Sylvia; 10-19-2013 at 03:31 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    But is it really an "internet term"? USFSA uses it on their website to define who is a member of Team USA. Why would they use it if it was just an "annoying internet term".
    Sorry it just rubs my OCD traits the wrong way.

It also seems to value non-ISU competitions as something worse (as in B-movies).

I think the usage of the term 'senior B' started on FSU and it became so ubiquitous, it ended up being added to the 'skating dictionary.'

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Sorry it just rubs my OCD traits the wrong way.

It also seems to value non-ISU competitions as something worse (as in B-movies).

I think the usage of the term 'senior B' started on FSU and it became so ubiquitous, it ended up being added to the 'skating dictionary.'
    Like chacking. And where did "flutz" first show up as a word?

vCash
    "Flutz" started in the skating community before the internet came along. But internet fans coined "lip" as the opposite and I have since heard it used by some coaches and officials.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    Like chacking. And where did "flutz" first show up as a word?
    You've heard a USFSA official say chacking, when speaking for the organization (not as a private person?)

It also seems to value non-ISU competitions as something worse (as in B-movies)
    At least until recently, I think USFS did value them lower than the GP- they were B-list. At least they don't call them Senior-Ds...nothing worse than a D-list celebrity... B is still valuable, just not as much so. If there were more in North America they probably wouldn't get this feeling, as they'd use them like the Euro skaters do to really rack up the ranking points. Now that minimums have to be met, I think the value of a B will go up quite a bit.

vCash
    Denver Post article: http://www.denverpost.com/olympics/c...ready-make-run

Rachael wrote an update (settling back into Stanford, a bit about skating) for her offiial site prior to leaving for Cup of Nice this week: http://www.figureskatersonline.com/r...ok-102013.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Denver Post article: http://www.denverpost.com/olympics/c...ready-make-run

Rachael wrote an update (settling back into Stanford, a bit about skating) for her offiial site prior to leaving for Cup of Nice this week: http://www.figureskatersonline.com/r...ok-102013.html
    I am tired just reading what she does

Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast