Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Hiding her injury was against USFS rules. She was hardly the first to do it, but she talked about it and was caught. It was a stupid thing to do, but the lesson is for skaters to hide injuries even more and not talk about it. I don't think she should have gone. I think she is old enough and smart enough not to have gone, but she was training under an influential coach with a track record of not caring about his skaters' injuries, and plenty of adults have buckled to demanding bosses in tough situations.
    Well, Czisny certainly learned from all this and kept her situation hush-hush...I don't think what Flatt did (or USFS' response to what she did, anyway) helped anyone in the long run. In some ways it's even a step back...folks are going to be afraid to speak up.

If you can get away with it, all the better it seems?

vCash
    Given her record, the USFS couldn't possibly have discerned whether Czisny was really injured, or just relapsing into her typical wildly inconsistent Olesya-self. I think Czisny herself suspected something was wrong, but she didn't know specifically about the torn labrum until she had an MRI after the disasterous competitions.

vCash
    Czisny, unless you believe that she herself is lying, DID NOT KNOW that she was injured.

Good luck to Rachael!
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    I think the 2008 team -- Meissner and Liang at least -- did a little better than how they had competed that year. It was Wagner who competed worse than how she competed all year. I think the 2010 team did okay at worlds too, with both making top ten.

The 2009, 2011 and 2012 teams had somewhat disappointing results--half of the team didn't make top ten.
    You can't really blame Ashley for help losing the 3rd spot at Worlds 2008. She was the youngest member of the team at 16 and shouldn't have had the pressure of keeping the 3 spots. No matter how they all skated that team wasn't keeping the 3rd spot. Meissner was on the way down and Liang was going to be lucky to finish in the top ten.

vCash
    If I dread clicking on this thread every now & then to see what new comments have been added, I can only imagine how Rachael must feel.

But in case she is reading, I would like to tell her "what one says about others says everything about him/her".

It's one of the principles of self-reflection: what people say about you is never about you. What people say about you is always about them and how they perceive their world.

Case in point, I know of someone wherein one of her mantras is never to tolerate being around people that judge beauty vocally. For instance she was with an acquantace that said "i don't think she's pretty" (referring to some female they had encountered) and my friend turned to her and said "Wow, I never before noticed how ugly you were before".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AxelAnnie View Post
    No, but she was not in condition to be at that competition, and she did not help win back a third spot. And hiding her injury was just not good sportsmanship.
    And so that's reason why she should not be competing this season? (That proverbial ship has sailed ... a long time ago ...)

There is absolutely no good reason I can see why Rachael shouldn't be competing this season. Money? No. Taking spots away from other "more deserving" skaters? No. Pride? No. (That's Rachael's business, not anyone else's.) Pissing off haterz? Well, I think I finally found another good reason for Rachael to compete!

O-
    (I have not been a fan of Rachael, but these lines of argument against her competing are just ridiculous and insupportable, IMHO.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesy View Post
    When can we start blaming Flatt for the government shutdown?
    W-O-R-D!

O-

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    There is absolutely no good reason I can see why Rachael shouldn't be competing this season.
    Anyone who is qualified and meets the deadline can compete to qualify for Nationals.

Flatt had to be appointed by USFS to go to Coupe de Nice. Anyone who pays their dues to USFS has the right to question why she's being appointed to a Senior B, since USFS is investing their $$$ in her. Perhaps the answer is in some kind of policy or precedent that hasn't been identified here. She did compete in Skate America last year and is 64 on the SB list. She met the 4C's/Olympics TES minimums and the Worlds TES FS minimum in Kent.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    I love Rachael's passion for skating. Hope she does well and surprises many.

vCash
    Flatt had to be appointed by USFS to go to Coupe de Nice. Anyone who pays their dues to USFS has the right to question why she's being appointed to a Senior B, since USFS is investing their $$$ in her.
    So tell me, who would you want to replace her? Everyone at the top 13 at senior nationals has at least one international event, as does everyone at the top 5 at junior nationals. Who's she stealing from?

God, the vitriol in this thread is embarrassing. It's a frigging senior B and she's a former Olympian and IIRC she scored somewhere in the high fifties for her SP at a summer competition. It's not like they're appointing her to the Olympic team. I hope she wins nationals. (I don't really, but maybe then everyone would shut up.)

vCash
    Anyone who is qualified and meets the deadline can compete to qualify for Nationals.

Flatt had to be appointed by USFS to go to Coupe de Nice. Anyone who pays their dues to USFS has the right to question why she's being appointed to a Senior B, since USFS is investing their $$$ in her. Perhaps the answer is in some kind of policy or precedent that hasn't been identified here. She did compete in Skate America last year and is 64 on the SB list. She met the 4C's/Olympics TES minimums and the Worlds TES FS minimum in Kent.
    I never said people can't question Rachael's being appointed to a Senior B. But I still stand by what I said -- that there is no GOOD reason why Rachael shouldn't be competing this season.

O-

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valyrian View Post
    So tell me, who would you want to replace her? Everyone at the top 13 at senior nationals has at least one international event, as does everyone at the top 5 at junior nationals.
    As well as another Senior lady besides Flatt who withdrew from Nationals due to injury (V. Lam) and the 2013 U.S. National Novice Ladies champ.

I'm impressed with USFS' international competition budget in this Olympic season!
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Title-less
    vCash
    Given the fact that you need a qualifying score to go to the Olympics, I can totally see why USFS would want any possible Olympic spot contender to compete for a qualifying score. And given the depth of the ladies field that does mean a lot of $$$$$$

Even Czisny, if she's healthy and skating reasonably well, deserves a chance to go get a qualifying score.

I hope all that $$$ is not at the expense of future envelope funding though...

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valyrian View Post
    God, the vitriol in this thread is embarrassing.
    Eh, it's not that bad. You should check out the Fumie Suguri thread in the trash can.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    You can't really blame Ashley for help losing the 3rd spot at Worlds 2008. She was the youngest member of the team at 16 and shouldn't have had the pressure of keeping the 3 spots. No matter how they all skated that team wasn't keeping the 3rd spot. Meissner was on the way down and Liang was going to be lucky to finish in the top ten.
    It was inevitable, sending the inexperienced Liang and Wagner, imo. Also, US judges were still stuck in 6.0 land and - I'm guessing - probably weren't giving the most helpful feedback to senior skaters at this point in time.

No one ever mentions this, but the US had only preserved three spots for ladies by 0.08 in 2007. And that was only because Rochette had a nervous, shaky SP and popped her Lutz in the LP. (I don't know if her PCS were 'normal' for her, but Hughes' PCS were 3 points higher than Rochette's!!!!)
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    There are only 30 women in the USFSA International Selection Pool. I think all have been offered competitions. If you know of someone who hasn't been offered a competition, please list their name.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rhumba View Post
    I wonder what were the criteria that USFS used to pick skaters to Nice? It's almost like the gift/vacation for non contenders??
    Let's look at the historical record, shall we? And I'm just talking about the Ladies the USFSA has sent to this particular competition.

We'll start with 2008, using this page and the links provided there.

2008: Abigail Legg, Amy Nunn
    2009: Chelsea Morrow, Tatyana Khazakova
    2010: Karen Zhou, Christina-Maria Sperduto
    2011: None
    2012: None
    2013: Kiri Baga, Rachael Flatt

So I would say, yes, giving non-contenders a vacation on the Côte d'Azur is pretty much the USFSA's intent in making its selections for this particular competition.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Let's look at the historical record, shall we? And I'm just talking about the Ladies the USFSA has sent to this particular competition.

We'll start with 2008, using this page and the links provided there.

2011: None
    2012: None
    2013: Kiri Baga, Rachael Flatt

So I would say, yes, giving non-contenders a vacation on the Côte d'Azur is pretty much the USFSA's intent in making its selections for this particular competition.

To be fair....I am sure that this is not a vacation for Flatt. She is a full time college student, and IIRC, Baga is also taking classes in Boston this semester.
    There are those who will nitpick anything Flatt is involved with, and there are those who appreciate what she has brought to the sport, not only as an athlete, but as someone who contributes outside of the sport.

Let's move on.....

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    To clarify - these 3 years cover the period when the U.S. Collegiate National top medalists were given partial funding by USFS' Collegiate program to attend this competition as a reward. They were not selected by USFS' international committee like Baga and Flatt were this year. The men and pairs selected by USFS to compete in Nice in recent years also were based on a majority vote by the international committee -- Max Aaron, Keegan Messing and Scimeca/Knierim last year, and Leng/LeDuc and Calalang/Sidhu this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    There are only 30 women in the USFSA International Selection Pool. I think all have been offered competitions. If you know of someone who hasn't been offered a competition, please list their name.
    I already answered this earlier in the thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post4007962
    Excerpt: "Only Alissa Czisny of the ISP ladies who have previously competed as a senior internationally has not been assigned an international to date and I assume she may not be competition-ready yet."
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Has USFS ever bypassed skaters in the International Selection Pool who weren't ill or injured?
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast