Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Rachael is too competitive to be skating just for herself or just to be skating imho.

vCash
    She may as well try. It's a long shot, but I wouldn't be too surprised if she grabbed the third spot either, depending on how things go. And like Conga said, I would have liked to hear a little more about her current skating. She appears to be very focused on school and her future career, which is awesome, but the article made it seem like competing for a spot on the Olympic team was just a side project for Rachael.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RockTheTassel View Post
    It's a long shot, but I wouldn't be too surprised if she grabbed the third spot either, depending on how things go.
    I'd be shocked. But happy for her.

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    I'd be shocked too. If she does make it, US ladies skating really is in the crapper.

vCash
    One step at a time for her this season. I'll bet she is savoring every step of the way. Regionals first if I'm not mistaken, and hopefully those won't collide too harshly with her mid-term! Stanford's academic year starts quite late usually (as in only now, unlike the majority of college bachelor programs which start around Labor Day).

Good luck to her this season. Wishing her happiness and tremendous satisfaction with the experience of her journey this season, whether it ends on a podium or not.

vCash
    I'd bet the farm she wouldn't make any US team. But, I'm happy she wants to skate for herself. Any participation by RF only makes the whole process a little more interesting if only for the

vCash
    So Rachael apparently has switched clubs to the Central Pacific region (St. Moritz ISC)/Pacific Coast section, which makes sense because CP regionals will be held in Vacaville, CA Oct. 12-15 (SW is in Grapevine, TX), which is much more convenient for her, location-wise, if she decides to compete.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    That seems like a lot of foresight and planning for someone who is just doing this for fun
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    That seems like a lot of foresight and planning for someone who is just doing this for fun

I agree. With all the difficulties involved, I would doubt she is just doing this for fun. Rachael seems to give her all to whatever she does, and I believe she thinks too much of skating to do this half ass. And she has a very competitive spirit. I would be just as happy with her getting the third spot as any other skater.

vCash
    I wish Rachael the success and satisfaction she hopes for, whatever that may be.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    I agree. With all the difficulties involved, I would doubt she is just doing this for fun. Rachael seems to give her all to whatever she does, and I believe she thinks too much of skating to do this half ass. And she has a very competitive spirit. I would be just as happy with her getting the third spot as any other skater.
    If she's as much a type A personality as my sister (and it sounds moreso), she doesn't do anything half-assed! Even something for fun. Good luck to Rachael!

vCash
    I wish I was not traveling in mid-October, it'd be nice to see her at a Regionals!

Banned Member
    vCash
    deleted

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    So Rachael apparently has switched clubs to the Central Pacific region (St. Moritz ISC)/Pacific Coast section,
    Nice to see Mids decluttering itself a little bit!

vCash
    WOOOOHOOOOO, RACHAEL IS ENTERED FOR THE 18TH INTERNATIONAL CUP OF NICE!!!!

I just now read it in the K&C forum (thanks to poster Stephanie).

http://www.nice-baie-des-anges.fr/fi...rsNice2013.pdf

Lol I'm doing somersaults (in my head) and am just so darn excited!!!!

ETA: what lovely news to see when I first check out FSU for the day. (:^)

vCash
    CP Regionals is 10/12-15. Coupe de Nice starts on the 23rd, so it wouldn't keep her out of Regionals. I guess she's planning to do both, and Sectionals, too.

vCash
    Oh man. I think this is horrid. Could she just retire? There has not been, to my recollection one single solitary singles skater in the last 60 years who has skated successfully while pursuing a full academic course load. It is lovely she wants to get out there and skate, but could the competitive slots please be given to skaters for whom this is a career and who really have a chance to be successful on the Oly stage?

Just my 3 cents.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Don't worry, AA. I really doubt she will be seriously considered for an Oly spot at Nats.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AxelAnnie View Post
    There has not been, to my recollection one single solitary singles skater in the last 60 years who has skated successfully while pursuing a full academic course load
    Define "successfully." There have been a substantial minority skaters who competed at an international level while attending college full-time or close to it. Which isn't to say they might not have been more successful before and/or after college.

Tonia Kwiatkowski is one who comes to mind.

Obviously some course loads are more demanding than others. And skaters in other disciplines are more likely to succeed because the US ladies field is so deep to begin with and the jump demands tend to favor girls a bit younger than college age.

It is lovely she wants to get out there and skate, but could the competitive slots please be given to skaters for whom this is a career and who really have a chance to be successful on the Oly stage?
    For regionals, anyone can enter if they've passed the appropriate tests, are not ineligible, etc. To get to sectionals and Nationals she would have to qualify, same as anyone else who's trying to get to Nationals. Most who go through the qualifying process will finish far short of the Olympic stage.

By "competitive slots" being "given," do you mean the assignment to Cup of Nice?
    How should such assignments be given if they must be limited only to those who "really have a chance to be successful on the Oly stage?"

Should the International Committee make assessments as to who does or does not have the potential to make this year's Olympic team, or is still young and not yet at Olympic level but could get there by 2018, and give senior B assignments only to skaters who meet that criterion and don't already have GP or JGP assignments? Does number of college credit hours figure into their assessments of who does or does not meet it? How about any other non-skating activities a skater may be engaged in -- including coaching skating? Or family demands?

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AxelAnnie View Post
    Oh man. I think this is horrid. Could she just retire? There has not been, to my recollection one single solitary singles skater in the last 60 years who has skated successfully while pursuing a full academic course load.
    So I guess Debi Thomas wasn't a successful singles skater.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast