Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by giselle23 View Post
    This assumes Rachael was skating her best at the qualifying rounds rather than just doing enough to move to the next level. I doubt very much she will show up at Nationals if she can only do doubles. I don't think Rachael has a realistic shot at the podium because the competition is too stiff. But I also expect to see her do better than she did at Regionals and Sectionals.
    I wasn't asuming that at all. I was going strictly by this season's scores in senior comps. My hope that she scores over 150 (be it 155, 160, 165, whatever) allows for the possibility that she can in fact add more difficulty to her programs by Nationals.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    This assumes Rachael was skating her best at the qualifying rounds rather than just doing enough to move to the next level. I doubt very much she will show up at Nationals if she can only do doubles.
    Rachel's score at Sectionals was her highest all season. Her score at Regionals was higher than her Coup de Nice score (which was her lowest all season). She did not do "only doubles" at either event and did a 3Z+2T in her long at Sectionals IIRC.

This idea that she's doing the bare minimum to qualify is nice but isn't really born out by the evidence. On top of that, the gals who are a threat for the podium are posting scores in the 170-195 range and have been all season, not the 130-148 range.

Personally I think it does skaters we are a fan of a disservice to act like they are going to come to Nationals and suddenly post scores dramatically higher than they have been. It risks a situation where, if they do have the skate of their lives and place respectively, it will be seen as failure because they didn't pull off the impossible their supposed fans were predicting for them instead of the amazing feat that it actually was.

P.S. to Nomad… it wasn't really criteria. I was just thinking out loud Anyway, I had her as high as 15th in the 'everyone skates their worst' list so that's good, right? I mean if you're a Flatt fan. The reason I think she can do better is that she has more experience than a lot of the gals who have been ahead of her all Fall and also she has a history of doing well at Nationals while some of them have a history of not putting their best performance out at that comp.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    She did not do "only doubles" at either event and did a 3Z+2T in her long at Sectionals IIRC.
    You recall incorrectly.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post

Having said that, top 10 is within reach IF she makes dramatic improvements in the next month. But (it seems) top 4 will remain out of reach for her no matter what she does.
    She's got finals at Stanford this month and I don't think she is taking basket weaving classes. Translation: Rachael is pre-med and is supposedly taking science courses with labs which are nothing to sneeze at anywhere, let alone Stanford. Translation: how much time is she going to have for the drastic changes? I am guessing not much.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Why is Rachael rehabbing her back? Did she have a specific injury, or just a nagging soreness. Didn't she have a major back problem at some point?

I hope she doesn't try to skate injured.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    I have always maintained that 4th place at nationals is a podium finish. Because it is. So kindly stop telling me what I think or "very well know." How obnoxious.
    Not to mention that 4th place anywhere is nothing to sneeze it. It's still a great accomplishment, especially at the elite level.
    Congrats to my ♥Baroque Rock Princess Adelina♥Meryl&Charlie♥Tatiana&Maxim♥!Team ♥Mirai♥Adam♥Julia♥

vCash
    Yes she did have an injury in her back some years ago. Another poster can give details on what it was, I can't remember. When she was a novice, she had a spectacular layback, but since her injury her flexibility is very limited. Her back problems seem to flare up once in a while.

vCash
    ...P.S. to Nomad… it wasn't really criteria. I was just thinking out loud Anyway, I had her as high as 15th in the 'everyone skates their worst' list so that's good, right? I mean if you're a Flatt fan. The reason I think she can do better is that she has more experience than a lot of the gals who have been ahead of her all Fall and also she has a history of doing well at Nationals while some of them have a history of not putting their best performance out at that comp.
    It seemed as good a way as any to play with the numbers. Maybe she'll stay in the 130-148 range next month, maybe not. I don't know the extent of her back problems or how much training time she'll have. I'm not really expecting her to post a significantly higher score next month, but it would be nice to see her land five triples in the LP and finish higher than my numbers game predicted.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Rachael has bulging discs in her back. I've had this problem from time to time and it can be quite painful.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiralgraph View Post
    Yes she did have an injury in her back some years ago. Another poster can give details on what it was, I can't remember. When she was a novice, she had a spectacular layback, but since her injury her flexibility is very limited. Her back problems seem to flare up once in a while.
    Found a photo on Flatt's FB page, composite photo she posted on Nov 13th...lower right hand corner...Flatt's layback from Novice season (2004/2005):
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Her back was parallel to the ice in her layback.

IIRC, she injured her back at the start of the 06/07 season, and missed her JGP season, but did go thru the qualifying events (reg/sec at the Sr level in the US) and finished 5th at her first year at the US Championship level. And, from some of the interviews over the years, I belive Flatt has 3 discs that are bulging. The daily grind of training....ouch!!!!!

Hard to see these kids deal with chronic/long term injury issues. :-(

vCash
    ^^^ thanks for the information. Gorgeous picture of Rachael's layback.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    I saw her Regionals LP and she did a lot of doubles. Alissa did the same thing at her early competition, as I recall. Rachael won't do that at Nationals unless she makes a mistake. And in my opinion, no one is hurt or done a disservice if a skater does better at Nationals than at Regionals. Few fans even watch the qualifying rounds or know how skaters do in them. A great skate is a great skate, no matter what came before.

Rachel's score at Sectionals was her highest all season. Her score at Regionals was higher than her Coup de Nice score (which was her lowest all season). She did not do "only doubles" at either event and did a 3Z+2T in her long at Sectionals IIRC.

This idea that she's doing the bare minimum to qualify is nice but isn't really born out by the evidence. On top of that, the gals who are a threat for the podium are posting scores in the 170-195 range and have been all season, not the 130-148 range.

Personally I think it does skaters we are a fan of a disservice to act like they are going to come to Nationals and suddenly post scores dramatically higher than they have been. It risks a situation where, if they do have the skate of their lives and place respectively, it will be seen as failure because they didn't pull off the impossible their supposed fans were predicting for them instead of the amazing feat that it actually was.

P.S. to Nomad… it wasn't really criteria. I was just thinking out loud Anyway, I had her as high as 15th in the 'everyone skates their worst' list so that's good, right? I mean if you're a Flatt fan. The reason I think she can do better is that she has more experience than a lot of the gals who have been ahead of her all Fall and also she has a history of doing well at Nationals while some of them have a history of not putting their best performance out at that comp.

vCash
    I saw her Regionals LP and she did a lot of doubles. Alissa did the same thing at her early competition, as I recall. Rachael won't do that at Nationals unless she makes a mistake. And in my opinion, no one is hurt or done a disservice if a skater does better at Nationals than at Regionals. Few fans even watch the qualifying rounds or know how skaters do in them. A great skate is a great skate, no matter what came before.
    I think MacMadame was talking about fans expecting a skater to bring all of these dramatic improvements to nationals and then being disappointed when they don't. And on the flip side, no one should completely dismiss a skater based on a past performance or slow start to the season. It's all about having realistic (but not negative) expectations.

vCash
    Wagner and Gold will probably be 1-2 at Nationals

The fight for that last spot to Sochi will be between Nagasu, Gao and Hicks. Zawadzki will be in contention after the SP but fold in the LP.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    So I kind of have a crazy hope that Mirai gets the 3rd spot. Since no one else seems to want it...
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RockTheTassel View Post
    I think MacMadame was talking about fans expecting a skater to bring all of these dramatic improvements to nationals and then being disappointed when they don't. And on the flip side, no one should completely dismiss a skater based on a past performance or slow start to the season. It's all about having realistic (but not negative) expectations.
    That's not how I read it, but I'll admit I had trouble understanding the point.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    You recall incorrectly.
    You are right. It was Regionals that Flatt did the 3Z+2T. And also Coupe de Nice. As Sylvia says:

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Flatt landed 3Lz+2T in her free skate both at CP Regionals and Cup of Nice in October.
    Which begs the question: if she was doing the minimum at Regionals and Sectionals to get by, why do 3z+2T at Regionals? It was completely unnecessary there. The fact that she did it at Regionals and then soon after at Coupe de Nice suggests the opposite -- that she is going for all her content every time and landing it as often as she can.

Oh and at Sectionals she did 4 triples, 2 in combination, including a 3Lo+2T. Again, doesn't really support the "do the bare minimum to get by" strategy.

And good for her! IMO, this is her best strategy because of missing 2012 due to injury and not being on the GP this Fall. She needs the practice going for things in a pressure situation before the big show. Doing the bare minimum to get by wouldn't give her that experience. Not to mention, this is not a strategy that skaters regularly employ as it does not help them in the long run. This is a strategy you use in extraordinary circumstances, such as skating through a major injury where qualifying at all is in serious jeopardy.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    Here's a recent short interview from NBC; sounds like she's in better form. http://www.nbcbayarea.com/video/#!/o...peat/235823941

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Thank you. The headline says: Stanford's Rachael Flatt Ready for an Olympic Repeat

However, Rachael herself does not mention the Olympics.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I think Rachael has only skated bare bone programs so far, so her low scores are understandable. I think many are underestimating where she is at now. Look forward to seeing her skate and would like to see her do well after all she is putting herself through to do that.

Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast