Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

vCash
    [QUOTE=2sk8;4034189]I love Rachel's competitive spirit & Really wish her success at Sectionals, but this outcome supports the position of those who suggested she was not the one who should have gotten this international assignment. A skater who had an "unfortunate" outing and another outing with "a few under-rotations" at last year's qualifying events or during summer monitoring would likely not have gotten the assignment (in fact, they like would not have even been monitored). It is really a USFS issue, not a "Rachel" issue - either make assignments solely based on certain results (which should include summer monitoring closer to the assignments than last year's Nationals), completed elements and technical scores/completed technical elements (not PCS) or at least acknowledge that the assignments are "political" at the end of the day. If you have been out of the game for a couple of seasons, you should start from "go" (Regionals) with no "favors" along the way.[/QUOTE

Rachael did Regionals and still has to do Sectionals, so she didn't really get any favors. She certainly did a better job than Zhang did at Skate America. She didn't do a FS with all doubles like Czisny did at her Regionals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    She didn't do a FS with all doubles like Czisny did at her Regionals.
    Neither Alissa nor Rachael had stellar performances at Regionals, but the main goal is to do enough to qualify for Sectionals.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    In the two weeks since regionals, Flatt has now included all five triples in her two programs. Yes, there were UR called, but she is stepping it up. There are about 3.5 weeks before sectionals...let's look for continued improvement from Czisny and Flatt in the next month. :-)

vCash
    I don't think Rachel's technical scores are high enough to qualify for the Olympics, which I believe was the reason she was assigned to this international competition. Hopefully I'm wrong and someone who is more knowledgeable will correct me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Joubabe View Post
    I don't think Rachel's technical scores are high enough to qualify for the Olympics, which I believe was the reason she was assigned to this international competition. Hopefully I'm wrong and someone who is more knowledgeable will correct me.
    She already had the minimums from Skate America last season. Not that it's going to matter much...

vCash
    Thanks Zemgirl.

vCash
    (I'm reviewing: http://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/sectionals/)
    I don't think Rachel will have any trouble at all getting through sectionals to Nats. Yes, she will likely get beaten by Lam (152+ at Finlandia) and Wang (155+ at JPG Czech), considering their most recent scores. But other than that, her only tough competition is Keiser (161+ at Regionals.) Zhang seems unlikely to get things together, and I'm not sure the rest of the field has the technical scores to challenge. I suspect Rachel will land in 4th.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    She already had the minimums from Skate America last season. Not that it's going to matter much...
    I thought you had the get the minimum score to qualify for Worlds or the Olympics the year of those events not the previous year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I thought you had the get the minimum score to qualify for Worlds or the Olympics the year of those events not the previous year.
    According to Communication 1797:
    The Minimum Total Technical Score (not including Component Scores) is a Technical Score and must have been reached in an ISU recognized International Competition (as per Article 38, paragraph 7 of the ISU Constitution and Rule 107, paragraphs 1 to 9 of the ISU General Regulations) during the ongoing or immediately preceding season in both segments.
    (emphasis mine)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Cooper View Post
    In the two weeks since regionals, Flatt has now included all five triples in her two programs. Yes, there were UR called, but she is stepping it up. There are about 3.5 weeks before sectionals...let's look for continued improvement from Czisny and Flatt in the next month. :-)
    I agree these two "ladies" are role models for this sport no matter where they finish. I am disappointed that the current crop have such inflated egos. I always felt in success or disappointment Flatt and Czisny were gracious and class acts.

Banned Member
    vCash
    It seems RF is improving from month to month and is on a pathway which includes ongoing improvements. Probably, she will be stronger at Sectionals than Ice Graz, and stronger at Nationals than Sectionals, for which she will have about two months to prepare.

It seems Rachel is doing a steady job at progressing and returning to Nationals.

vCash
    Update:

Rach just made it to Nationals!!!! As well as Caroline Zhang!

Rachael was 2nd and Caroline 4th.

ps: this has been thee best day of skating; all my faves did great today ~ D&S 1st, Courtney Hicks 1st, and now Rach 2nd and Caroline 4th. *insert heart and big Thank You to God*

Banned Member
    vCash
    Rachel skated well. She did not need flip or lutz to easily get through Sectionals. However, her GOE was barely anything in the FS. Her PCS hovered just under 6.0.

Her score at Nationals, if she raises the level of her skating beyond "completing" everything, could be in the 165 range.

I think she would be pleased with that.

vCash
    I noticed RF did no Lutz or Flip in the LP. I hope you all are correct that she simply left them out because she did not need them, not because she's battling a chronic injury or something.

vCash
    Sounds like Caroline was almost as bad at Sectionals as she was at SA. This will probably be the last time she qualifies for Nationals unless she miraculously gains some skating skills that she's never had.

In the middle of a hair war with Alena Leonova.
    vCash
    Rachael did the flip in the warm-up but doubled it in the LP. I didn't see an attempt at a lutz at any time. In the SP, even though she made an error, everyone was dead silent and oohing because she was "oozing" at they say, performance-wise. Not so much in the LP. Every single lady appeared really slow and cautious. Death by twinkly piano. I kinda felt like Rachael was having a Butyrskaya moment because her Rachmaninoff was cutting in and out like it was on a scratchy record.

Caroline. I think her obvious problem is that she gives up right at the beginning of the program after mistakes. She closes up like a clam, starts to look like she's about to break down crying (which she might be), but hon, you've got 5 more jumping passes and at least 3 more minutes to go. It's very difficult to keep going if you're frustrated that what you've been able to do all your life wasn't there for you at the exact second you needed it (e.g. the flip you just did in warm-up, and an eeked out landing on the craziest lutz technique ever), but perhaps in a performance sport one must not shout, "Look, judges, audience, I give up. I just want to get off the ice." She landed some jumps, but other than that she looked outright miserable. It was unfortunate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Sounds like Caroline was almost as bad at Sectionals as she was at SA. This will probably be the last time she qualifies for Nationals unless she miraculously gains some skating skills that she's never had.
    I doubt she will continue after this season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I doubt she will continue after this season.
    Maybe for the USA but Caroline so wants to go to an Olympics that I could easily see her skating for Taiwan or Hong Kong in future years. I don't say China because there would be too much competition there.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Here's the latest, came from her official Facebook page: http://www.kcra.com/page/search/htv-...deirdres-diary . Glad to know skating is still on her agenda, in spite of life's little knocks.
    Last edited by Jot the Dot Dot; 11-28-2013 at 03:11 AM.

vCash
    Thanks Jot the Dot Dot for the the link . Best of luck to Rachael.

Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast