Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Tonia Kwiatkowski is one who comes to mind.
    Baldwin-Wallace College is not exactly Stanford. (no insult intended to BWC grads or attendees)

Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    So I guess Debi Thomas wasn't a successful singles skater.
    IIRC, during the season before the Olympics, Debi either took a leave of absence or cut back her academics to a minimal level. She didn't do full-time training + academics during this time.

Maybe Paul Wylie and/or Matt Savoie fit the description of full-time academics + skating, but I can't think of any previous ladies that do, so I guess I'm in AA's camp of thinking.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    That's what I remember reading as well, that Debi Thomas had cut back substantially on her academics that year. And she was also in excellent fighting shape. Neither can be said of Rachael.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jiejie View Post
    Baldwin-Wallace College is not exactly Stanford. (no insult intended to BWC grads or attendees)

IIRC, during the season before the Olympics, Debi either took a leave of absence or cut back her academics to a minimal level. She didn't do full-time training + academics during this time.

Maybe Paul Wylie and/or Matt Savoie fit the description of full-time academics + skating, but I can't think of any previous ladies that do, so I guess I'm in AA's camp of thinking.
    Exactly. Debi was still competing even while she was going to school Rachael on the other hand has been largely inactive since going to school. I hope she's in better shape then when she was at SA last season because she didn't even look like she belonged on the same ice as the other skaters.

vCash
    Of course Debi Thomas was successful. But this is my point:

As to Debi Thomas:
    In February of 1986, Thomas won the senior women's title at the U.S. Figure Skating Championships by successfully completing five triple jumps, an impressive athletic performance. She became the first African American to win a non-novice title, and the media seized upon the story of the hardworking Stanford freshman who planned to become a doctor after she competed in the Winter Olympics. Thomas's success was all the more remarkable in light of the fact that very few skaters at this level attended college while training, due to the full-time demands of figure skating. Thomas was studying medical microbiology at the time, a challenging program for any student. Her coach complained that she had no time to run, work out with weights, or do any other off-ice training. "She isn't able to eat or sleep at proper hours," McGowan told Sports Illustrated writer E.M. Swift. "When Debi arrives at the rink for training, she's exhausted."
    During her sophomore year, Thomas found it a bit more difficult to keep up the difficult pace of college and competition. In early 1987, she lost both her national title to Jill Trenary and her world championship crown to Witt. Beginning in the summer of 1987, Thomas took a leave of absence from school and began training in Boulder, Colorado, in preparation for the 1988 Olympic Games.
    Um - pretty much.

And Tonia she had similar problems during her college years. That is / was my point. Balancing the two is just too hard.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Debi Thomas may not have won the same gold medals in 1987 that she had in 1986, but she still won medals. I would define that as competing successfully.

And she didn't do any better internationally in 1988 when she eased up her school load.

If we're talking only about people who have the potential to win a 2014 Olympic medal, I don't think any of them is being shortchanged by not being given Flatt's spot at Cup of Nice. Anyone who might have gotten that spot instead would probably be thrilled to achieve what Flatt has achieved internationally in the past, let alone what Thomas achieved in 1987.

vCash
    If I am not mistaken, I think I read that Rachael is also President of her class at Stanford.

When young men and women are on the fast track, often they do as much as possible because keeping busy keeps them on target. Rachael knows that, in order to get into a good graduate school, whether it be medical, engineering or something else, one needs to have a fat resume, complete with good extracurriculars as well as great grades. So, in addition to taking top courses at a tiered college and doing very well, Rachel is skating at the highest level possible, and is participating in politics and I would imagine a few other things both in and out of school, like her summer internship with doctors in Colorado.

So, please let Rachael be and do not criticize her for trying. She'll give up skating when it no longer fits in her schedule. But right now she is handling it and a whole lot of other stuff very very well. Great kid. She will do just fine in life.

waiting for Spring :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    If I am not mistaken, I think I read that Rachael is also President of her class at Stanford.

When young men and women are on the fast track, often they do as much as possible because keeping busy keeps them on target. Rachael knows that, in order to get into a good graduate school, whether it be medical, engineering or something else, one needs to have a fat resume, complete with good extracurriculars as well as great grades. So, in addition to taking top courses at a tiered college and doing very well, Rachel is skating at the highest level possible, and is participating in politics and I would imagine a few other things both in and out of school, like her summer internship with doctors in Colorado.

So, please let Rachael be and do not criticize her for trying. She'll give up skating when it no longer fits in her schedule. But right now she is handling it and a whole lot of other stuff very very well. Great kid. She will do just fine in life.
    ITA - if she is expecting to have a high powered professional career - she will be expected to juggle - I say good luck and go for it - if she makes the team she deserves to go..
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AxelAnnie View Post
    Oh man. I think this is horrid. Could she just retire? There has not been, to my recollection one single solitary singles skater in the last 60 years who has skated successfully while pursuing a full academic course load. It is lovely she wants to get out there and skate, but could the competitive slots please be given to skaters for whom this is a career and who really have a chance to be successful on the Oly stage?

Just my 3 cents.
    Athletes at colleges and universities go to school and compete many more times a year than a skater does. There is really no reason a skater shouldn't be able to do the same if their training is handled properly.

I'm thrilled about the up coming competition at Nice.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    But it's college. Which she combined successfully with skating.

Yes, for one semester or two she did cut back. And later said it was a mistake and did not have improved results to show for it which backs up her assessment that it was a mistake. But the rest of the time she was going full-tilt at school while competing successfully.

So now we have a total of 4 people we can point out... which is four more than the ZERO that AxelAnnie can think of.

There are more, of course. But every name that comes up, someone will nitpick at it. That doesn't change the fact that it is possible for some people. It's hard, but it's possible. IMO, Rachel's problem is less that she's going to Stanford and more that she's struggling with injury. Shrug.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    Carol Heiss attended and graduated from New York University during her competitive career.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Btw, "the last 60 years" means any skater who skated from 1953 onwards. So I believe that would include a boatload of skaters including Heiss and quite a few of her generation. I don't think it was all that unusual to combine elite skating with college in the 50s and 60s or even the 70s for that matter.
    Last edited by MacMadame; 10-01-2013 at 06:21 PM.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    Cant wait for Rachael to compete at Cup of nice in late october

vCash
    As long as she is happy I fail to see why the rest of us should care. I admit that I wondered why USFS gave her Skate America last year, but it doesn't sound like they are giving her big events this year and if she wants to go out there and skate then why is it a problem?

I am sure some of us have hobbies that we will never be world class in. I run half marathons. I have no hope of ever winning one or even finishing in the top half, but that doesn't mean I am going to quit training and running them? So... why isn't she entitled to that same experience. I think she's smart enough to know what she can expect with what she has on her plate. Last year at Nationals she seemed fine with the outcome.

vCash
    ^ I agree...as long as her expectations are realistic and she enjoys it, I don't see why she should quit.

She reminds me of Em Hughes in 2009-2010 - people forget but Hughes made a run there, think she ended up 9th or so at trials (put's Cohen's attempt in perspective IMHO). That's probably what Flatt can expect - IF she puts her mind to it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post

Classy and well stated, Lacey, I agree.

Everything else is just sour grapes.

GOOOOOOOOO RACH!!!

*ADMIN EDIT* Colour fonts are annoying. Please stop.

vCash
    Why do you think someone (anyone) who was a National Champion would want to compete knowing they will not match their former achievements. I understand competing is fun, and in a perfect world, a competition is a marker in time of where you stack up against others.

However, watching an athlete who achieved greatness, compete past their prime always makes me sad. Whatever the sport - Joe Montana, Fumie Suguri. Sarah Hughes when she wasn't in shape after the Olympics. That is just my bias.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Why do you think someone (anyone) who was a National Champion would want to compete knowing they will not match their former achievements. I understand competing is fun, and in a perfect world, a competition is a marker in time of where you stack up against others.

However, watching an athlete who achieved greatness, compete past their prime always makes me sad. Whatever the sport - Joe Montana, Fumie Suguri. Sarah Hughes when she wasn't in shape after the Olympics. That is just my bias.
    Skaters (athletes in general) do it all the time (e.g., Kat Witt). Athletes have personal reasons for competing that we may not have any insight into. Witt's journey to Sarajevo and her reasons for competing were well-documented, but that isn't always the case. Surely she had no expectation to compete matching any former achievement. In fact, she was uncertain she would even make the German team.

As far as your bias, that is your bias and your issue, and has no relationship to Rachel Flatt or her decision to compete. You may not like it, but that isn't Rachel's issue. She seems to be happy and well-adjusted. I think if she's able to compete and wants to try it, she should. But that goes for just about everyone and everything in life, IMHO, as long as it's not hurting anyone.

O-

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    ^ I agree...as long as her expectations are realistic and she enjoys it, I don't see why she should quit.

She reminds me of Em Hughes in 2009-2010 - people forget but Hughes made a run there, think she ended up 9th or so at trials (put's Cohen's attempt in perspective IMHO). That's probably what Flatt can expect - IF she puts her mind to it.
    I agree for the most part but it also doesn't really matter if her expectations are realistic. She may well have the goal to get to the Olympics again. If she does, so what? It is not like her goals are hurting anyone. If she can compete and place higher than others then so be it. My dd thinks she is going to be a National Champion and go to the Olympics. I don't think that is a very realistic goal, but she is certainly entitled to it. I know I get really tired of well meaning parents scolding me for allowing dd to skate so much. "She is missing so much," they say. Well she doesn't see it that way and I suspect neither does Rachel. At some point people need to just make their own choices.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash

But this isn't about you. It is her life and she should not be worried about you being sad.

So she gets to decide what she wants to do and I have no idea why you think she might not want to compete.

I know a man who went to Olympics as a runner. The Munich Olympics....he is still running. He knows he is not going back to the Olympics but he loves it. And while you might be sad, he is happy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    As long as she is happy I fail to see why the rest of us should care. I admit that I wondered why USFS gave her Skate America last year, but it doesn't sound like they are giving her big events this year and if she wants to go out there and skate then why is it a problem?

I am sure some of us have hobbies that we will never be world class in. I run half marathons. I have no hope of ever winning one or even finishing in the top half, but that doesn't mean I am going to quit training and running them? So... why isn't she entitled to that same experience. I think she's smart enough to know what she can expect with what she has on her plate. Last year at Nationals she seemed fine with the outcome.
    Exactly. Its her money and her life. Gosh, If no one did anything that wasn't garuenteed the highest level of success, then no one would do anything.

Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast