Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I actually thought Rachael's SP from last season was nicely choreographed and her dress was one of the best she'd ever had. I think it's good that she's expanding and getting into choreography. By performing her own work she may be able to rustle up some clients. Maybe choreography will be how she stays in touch with the sport.

As for being competitive, I doubt if she will be. I don't see her anywhere near the podium but two solid performances from her may keep her in the top 10. I don't think she's coming back with the intention of making the team. Rachael is a smart girl; she knows her time has passed. Now it's just about the love of skating and being a part of that Olympic trials atmosphere. If she earns her way there I say why not go, enjoy yourself, do a couple of interviews about what it's like to make the team (only she and Mirai know) and soak in the experience.

More power to her...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PairSk8Fan View Post
    In comparison, she is "coming back" after a couple of years of lackluster and injured skating and not competing last year, while Alissa Czizny is also coming back after a season of not competing due to what is usually a career-ending labrum injury.

I think Rachel has more potential to do well than Alissa

While I think a comeback from Czisny is ill advised in the sense she could do permanent damage to her body at this point, Czisny still has far more chances to be competitive than Flatt at this point. Czisny if she makes to Nationals in one piece I would still give an outside shot (like maybe 15%) at that 3rd Olympic spot. Some would argue even higher, that the USFSA loves her so much and with no clear favorite for that spot as of yet they will give it to her if she somewhat stands up (albeit no easy feat for even a healthy Czisny, but she does skate better when not the favorite). Meanwhile Flatt's chances to even make the top 5 at this point would be something like 0%. Making it as high as 7th or 8th would be an amazing achievement, if she even qualifies for Nationals.

The thing with Czisny is she special qualities about her that the USFSA loved will always be there. That was NEVER being a particularly strong jumper or strong competitor. For Flatt the thing that held her at the top was being the strongest and most consistent jumper in the U.S for several years, and with that and all her reputation points now from the distant past long gone, she really doesnt have anything that could keep her up there anymore. Plus once a big favorite of the USFSA, after the 2011 Worlds debacle she no longer was (which should be true of Czisny after 2012 Worlds, but somehow the girl has 9 lives and more with the USFSA over the years). Flatt's strength was always her jumps and consistency and now there are many stronger jumpers, and with a bigger body, injuries, and much time away from serious training she is nowhere near as strong or consistent a jumper as she used to be. So you cant really compare the two.

I do agree with the posters who said she is doing this purely for the love of it at this point. She is far too astute and intelligent to delude herself she is seriously going for an Olympic spot. She simply wants to be part of the whole atmosphere of the Olympic Trials, and be noted as a former Olympic and National winner admist all that excitement, soak in the applause from knowledgable fans who know this, even while not in contention herself.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Rachael's Bio on IN has been updated with her self-choreographed program music:

Rachael Flatt (currently listed in ISP): http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/de...=100068&mode=I
    SP Music: "Adagio for Strings" by Samuel Barber
    FS Music: "Piano Concerto No. 2" by Sergei Rachmaninov
    Choreographer: Rachael Flatt
    Coaches: Justin Dillon, Lynn Smith
    College: Stanford University (2015)
    She picked two of my most favorite pieces of music. I adore Barber's Adagio for Strings, and Rach2 is a bit overused but wonderful skating music. I really hope she can bring her 'A' game to the nationals.

vCash
    So bold to be declaring that Rachel will be attending medical school after finishing at Stanford. I don't even think she's at the stage of applying yet. Not saying she won't score high enough on the MCATs or her GPA is weak - but really, she better be knocking on lots of wood.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by artsciboy View Post
    So bold to be declaring that Rachel will be attending medical school after finishing at Stanford. I don't even think she's at the stage of applying yet. Not saying she won't score high enough on the MCATs or her GPA is weak - but really, she better be knocking on lots of wood.
    Nothing wrong in setting goals early.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I couldn't think of less fitting programs for her.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stjeaskategym View Post
    If she's in good skating shape and wants to compete, why not now? Nationals in an Olympic year is always a very exciting, crazy time with a lot of attention, so maybe she wants to be a part of it.
    Attention for being the former national champ who has no chance of winning and has been out of shape for three years? That's not good attention but whatever she wants.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    Attention for being the former national champ who has no chance of winning and has been out of shape for three years? That's not good attention but whatever she wants.
    Well you're just a little ray of sunshine aren't you.

vCash
    No, attention for being the former national champ who is now a scholar/athlete that competes for the love of the sport. On a smaller scale this is not so different from Witt in Lillehammer. I thought Flatt at Nationals '12 was a highlight of the competition. There were many other goals vying for her energy by then, but she still every ounce of everything into that Firebird LP, and peformed so much better than most thought she could.

vCash
    I don't think it's too bold. She's plenty smart, and all of my classmates who went to medical school started working on the pre-med curriculum freshman year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I couldn't think of less fitting programs for her.
    Before I saw her skate to East of Eden I thought it was a crazy idea to choose that music but I really liked her skate to EOE. She wasn't Michelle but she was a very good Rachael.

Winning isn't everything. Some people compete for the love of the sport and the love of competing, and I think that's where Rachael may be at this point. I hope she enjoys her experience. If that's good enough to make the Olympic team, all the more kudos to her.

vCash
    With her more varied life experiences and extra-curricular achievements, Rachel will be more desirable to a medical school admitting panel than a nerd who's had his/her nose in the books for four solid years. And she has a great personality, always an optimistic outlook.

vCash
    Nothing like taking things out of context....

The author of the article, Erin Emery, made the statement:
    "Flatt will return to Stanford at the end of the month. Upon graduation, she will attend medical school."
    I believe the author probably meant to say that Flatt hopes to attend medical school.

Flatt's comments at the end of the article:
    “It will take a lot of studying; it will take a lot of preparation. But, at this point, I feel like I’ve had quite a bit of experience with managing my time,’’ she said.

I would be inclined to say that Flatt knows the protocol for applying to med school. She is a bright kid, and from our perspective, put the wheels in motion a long time ago to pursue her academic interests.

Re: her return to the ice. Good for her. If she feels she is healthy enough to pursue training again, good for her. IIRC, the last competition she did was '12 SA, and even at that event, and the subsequent w/d from the event in Graz, IIRC, was the chronic foot injury issues, as she mentions in the article referenced above. Flatt has always expressed a passion for skating, both on and off the ice. She has never said she wanted to walk away from the sport like others have said when the chips were down. I have to give her credit, for plugging away for 3-4 seasons now, with chronic injury issues in her feet and legs, taking time off, and re-evaluating. I liken it to the season where Ryan Bradley, for all intensive purposes, had walked away from the sport, but realized he just wasn't ready to skate away from competition, following a season of injury issues (2010...he had surgery on broken bones in his feet at the conclusion of the season). Ryan has obviously always loved to skate (and most of us really enjoy his ability to engage the audience), and perhaps, that is why Flatt is back on the ice. She loves the sport, and would like to close her competitive career minus injury.

vCash
    Do you know what kind of shape she is currently in?

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    With her more varied life experiences and extra-curricular achievements, Rachel will be more desirable to a medical school admitting panel than a nerd who's had his/her nose in the books for four solid years. And she has a great personality, always an optimistic outlook.
    With her stats, there's no doubt that she will go to medical school. It's just a question whether it will be Harvard/Stanford/UCSF or a something lower tier. But if you have good grades and a good MCAT score, you will get in somewhere.

vCash
    out of shape? Video from Reflections on Ice Show held in February 2013. She looks great to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRi9CywvS5c

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    out of shape? Video from Reflections on Ice Show held in February 2013. She looks great to me.

Rachael looks great! I wouldn't count her out.

O-

vCash
    But isn't she going to Stanford in the fall? That basically rules her out.

vCash

She looks lovely. She looks a little taller, a little thinner, and more flexible. Nice Ina Bauer and improved spins. Jumpwise she did only single axels, so it's hard to tell how good her jumps would be in an eligible competition. May be she just wanted to work on her presentation in this video, and she did very well in that regard.
    Last edited by Vash01; 08-23-2013 at 05:39 PM.

vCash

Yeah, really. I'm impressed. Loved her in this!

Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast