Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Debi was already mentioned by me earlier, apatinar, along with Tenley, and now skatak has added Alain Calmat, that makes only three! (8^O

That's it??? No way, seriously I thought there would be at least a handful, considering what high achievers there are in f.s., but as I mentioned earlier becoming a doctor can even take a couple of decades. It's not easy. One cannot fake one's way through, at least I hope to God not, I certainly would not want a person that faked their way through to work on me!

Rachael makes me think back to Amina Bhatia, whom I went to school with from kindergarten to our senior year in high school, and who was honestly the smartest one in our school. Amina was an over achiever, she excelled in sports, class politics, everything! Anyhow, to my knowledge she's the only one that went on to become a doctor (she changed her major from lawyer to doctor). Huge smile just like Rach; I'll always remember her 6th grade birthday party at McDonald's.

Sorry for digressing everyone, back to Rachael, here's hoping she does whatever makes her happy!

vCash
    Not all high achievers are interested in medicine. There are skaters who turned to all sorts of field: Nathalie Pechalat is wrapping up a Masters degree in management, Alban Preaubert did the same while skating, Kristoffer Berntsson was working on a Masters in electrical engineering a few years ago, and of course Michelle Kwan turned to diplomacy and international relations, also obtaining a graduate degree. Paul Wylie went to business school, Timothy Goebel got his degree in mathematics, and Matt Savoie became a lawyer.

A lot of skaters study, though not all in traditional programs. Like any group, they have diverse interests. Good for Rachael Flatt for finding the field she is passionate about.

vCash
    Hi, Zemgirl

Thanks for the added info., like I said there are high achievers in f.s., that's a given, but imho the highest field to conquer is medicine. By the way, don't forget Mr. Button, he's done it all, literally. He's conquered every field, sports, business, law school, commentating, founder of Candid Productions, producer, master gardener, he even skated pairs (lol), innovator, creator, and the accolades don't stop. He truly is a legend. And on that note I hope manleywoman one day interview's him. What stories he can tell, memories he must have....

By the way, I've read tons of articles on Dr. Debi Thomas's journey through the years and I think she would be a great mentor for Rachael, if she needs one that is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NadineWhite View Post
    Debi was already mentioned by me earlier, apatinar, along with Tenley, and now skatak has added Alain Calmat, that makes only three!
    David Jenkins is another skater-doctor who comes to mind.

vCash
    this was expected but at least she has go plans for the future
    I'm sure she'll still be skating in some shows here and there

good luck to her future outside of skating

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Not all high achievers are interested in medicine. There are skaters who turned to all sorts of field: Nathalie Pechalat is wrapping up a Masters degree in management, Alban Preaubert did the same while skating, Kristoffer Berntsson was working on a Masters in electrical engineering a few years ago, and of course Michelle Kwan turned to diplomacy and international relations, also obtaining a graduate degree. Paul Wylie went to business school, Timothy Goebel got his degree in mathematics, and Matt Savoie became a lawyer.

A lot of skaters study, though not all in traditional programs. Like any group, they have diverse interests. Good for Rachael Flatt for finding the field she is passionate about.
    If we are going to brag about high achieving skaters, don't forget Sasha Cohen, who is at Columbia University, and Matt Savoie completed law school at Cornell. Of course Dick Button went to Harvard Law. The Hughes sisters graduated from Harvard and Yale, and Derrick Delmore did a double major at Stanford.

Andrea Gardiner used to say she had ambitions for a medical career, but the last rumor I heard is she is a dental hygienist. There's nothing wrong with that, and if it is true, I am sure she does a great job.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    I'm sure she'll still be skating in some shows here and there
    So you're saying we might get to see some of the urban street moves?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NadineWhite View Post
    Hi, Zemgirl

Thanks for the added info., like I said there are high achievers in f.s., that's a given, but imho the highest field to conquer is medicine. By the way, don't forget Mr. Button, he's done it all, literally. He's conquered every field, sports, business, law school, commentating, founder of Candid Productions, producer, master gardener, he even skated pairs (lol), innovator, creator, and the accolades don't stop. He truly is a legend. And on that note I hope manleywoman one day interview's him. What stories he can tell, memories he must have....

By the way, I've read tons of articles on Dr. Debi Thomas's journey through the years and I think she would be a great mentor for Rachael, if she needs one that is.
    What about Aerospace Engineering, aka Rocket Science? Nuclear physics? Cosmology?

Do we have any of those in skating?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by triple_toe View Post
    What about Aerospace Engineering, aka Rocket Science? Nuclear physics? Cosmology?

I think physicists all come from Russian skating

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by triple_toe View Post

Alf majored in aerospace engineering, and I am smarter than he is in a lot of ways. Plus he only has a BS, no need for 7 more years of schooling! Some people really take to certain subjects (physics and engineering comes quite naturally to Alf, where I'd sooner shoot myself!), so I wouldn't judge anyone's intelligence or drive based on whether they are a doctor or not. You obviously have to work hard and get great grades to get into medical school, but not all brilliant people choose to be doctors. Actually, the most brilliant people I know are into the social sciences. The folks I know who are getting through medical school are mostly there by sheer will.

vCash
    In case anyone is wondering what Rachael might be like in the lab, just think of her as a distant cousin to another adorable-cute-but-highly-intellegent gal: Lindsay Monroe Messer! http://i2.listal.com/image/3418727/9...na-belknap.jpg Okay, I know Lindsay is a crime scene investigater and not a biologist, but think of the possibilities: : CSI: Stanford .
    Last edited by Jot the Dot Dot; 03-07-2013 at 03:19 PM.

vCash
    Jan Hoffman and Stephan Pfrengle are Doctors

vCash
    Meredith (sp?) Feinberg, US elite skater of the 1980s.
    Last edited by Frau Muller; 03-07-2013 at 03:40 PM.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Lorraine Hanlon (1961 US Champ) is a doctor...AND I think she works at Stanford. Also a great potential mentor for Flatt.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    Alf majored in aerospace engineering, and I am smarter than he is in a lot of ways. Plus he only has a BS, no need for 7 more years of schooling! Some people really take to certain subjects (physics and engineering comes quite naturally to Alf, where I'd sooner shoot myself!), so I wouldn't judge anyone's intelligence or drive based on whether they are a doctor or not. You obviously have to work hard and get great grades to get into medical school, but not all brilliant people choose to be doctors. Actually, the most brilliant people I know are into the social sciences. The folks I know who are getting through medical school are mostly there by sheer will.

Not quite at the World level in skating, but still very accomplished...in both academics and skating
    Curran Oi, who attends MIT
    http://tech.mit.edu/V131/N26/aotwcurranoi.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    Lorraine Hanlon (1961 US Champ) is a doctor...AND I think she works at Stanford. Also a great potential mentor for Flatt.
    I think you meant 1962, as Laurance Owen won US Nationals in 1961 and the plane crash happened that year.

vCash
    Hanlon won the junior title at the 1961 United States Figure Skating Championships.

Hanlon won the silver medal at the 1962 U.S. Championships and the gold at the 1963 U.S. Championships.
    Last edited by Iceman; 03-07-2013 at 10:49 PM.

vCash
    sorry, double post

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sedge View Post
    Jan Hoffman and Stephan Pfrengle are Doctors
    Is Stephan Pfrengle married to Claudia Leistner?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    Is Stephan Pfrengle married to Claudia Leistner?
    Yes, their daughter, Julia, is a competitive skater: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3832242

Quote Originally Posted by B.Cooper View Post
    Not quite at the World level in skating, but still very accomplished...in both academics and skating
    Curran Oi, who attends MIT
    http://tech.mit.edu/V131/N26/aotwcurranoi.html
    He's scheduled to graduate in 2013... already?!

"Doctors on ice" article : http://www.amednews.com/article/2007...n/305079966/6/

From Yasmin Siraj's Team USA profile: http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/detail.jsp?id=101020
    IN MY WORDS
    I look up to ... Tenley Albright. She’s done it all and is nevertheless so humble.
    After I'm done skating, I want to ... be a doctor.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 03-07-2013 at 11:48 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast