Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Good for her. It's great that she's found something outside of skating to focus on and be passionate about. As brainy as they say she is, I think she'd make a good doctor.

I don't see her skating competitively anymore. I'm sure she'll continue to skate b/c she loves it and she'll do shows here and there, but from what she says she's focusing more on getting healthy and school. There really isn't a point in her coming back to compete. Her time has passed and that's fine. She's had a very successful career and done more than what most will do in the course of their competitive career.

Here's to you, future Dr. Rachael Flatt!

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jot the Dot Dot View Post
    I tried the link, didn't work. Neither did her Facebook page have either the story or the photos

Don't know what to tell you, I can still see the photos on Rachael's FB page.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    That's ridiculous. Successful jumps are about timing, not about how much body weight you are carrying.
    No, it isn't ridiculous. Yes, jumping is about technique, but it is also affected by the athlete's strength to body weight ratio. (This is just basic physics.) Men may weigh more than women, but they are also stronger. When any one skater gets heavier without getting stronger, they are not able to get the same height and rotation. I still remember how much better Angela Nikodinov's jumps got after losing just a few pounds. Whenever a skater has enough subcutaneous fat to obscure her muscle definition, then she probably could benefit from fewer pounds, IMO.

That said, it does not do a skater any good to lose so much weight that they also lose muscle and strength. The key is finding the optimal point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NadineWhite View Post
    Rachael's going to be a FAB doctor! However, I have to say I'm not surprised considering her father is a biochemical engineer and her mother is a molecular biologist; science runs in the family! It got me thinking how many doctors are in figure skating? The only ones I can think of off hand are Debbie Thomas and Tenley Albright (Sarah Hughes wanted to at one time because of her mother being a cancer survivor but changed her major ). That said, I know there must be more seeing as how figure skating is loaded with high achievers, with doctor being top notch imho. It's something that takes extreme dedication after all, because to become a doctor one typically spends 4 yrs. in an undergraduate college, then 4 years in a medical school, followed by internship and medical residency, which can take anywhere from 2-6 years depending on the complexity of the specialty that the doctor is entering. That's a good 10-16 years! (8^O Nevertheless, it's most likely a cake walk to a figure skater considering they spend practically all their lives on the ice, so spending over a decade to become a doctor seems like nothing in comparison. Jmho. (:^)

GOOOOOOOOOOO RACHAEL!!!!

ETA: lol i was just thinking of what Tara Lipinski said once when asked if she would ever go to college, and she replied something to the effect of when she's ready she will and it won't be "basket weaving". Well, Tara, becoming a doctor is definitely *not* basket weaving, you have to have the smarts. Here's hoping you too eventually go to college (it's never too late to learn) and surprise us all with your major, I'm waiting...
    I remember in an interview long ago regarding Lipinski and college, Tara's mom said 'She promised me'. Guess Tara's holding off on that promise. Still, imo she's great at figure skating commentary. I wish they'd use her and Uncle Dick instead of of Bezic/Hamilton in Olympic tv broadcasts.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I think she would make a very good physician.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    I remember in an interview long ago regarding Lipinski and college, Tara's mom said 'She promised me'. Guess Tara's holding off on that promise. Still, imo she's great at figure skating commentary. I wish they'd use her and Uncle Dick instead of of Bezic/Hamilton in Olympic tv broadcasts.
    Luckily, Tara's commentating career coincided with the demise of televised skating. Sandy&Scotty set the bar pretty low, but Tara somehow still fails to rise above it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NadineWhite View Post
    Rachael's going to be a FAB doctor! However, I have to say I'm not surprised considering her father is a biochemical engineer and her mother is a molecular biologist; science runs in the family! It got me thinking how many doctors are in figure skating?
    A former French champion, that became World champion, also became a doctor... and a minister.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alain_Calmat

vCash
    Dr. Rachael Flatt...I love it!

vCash
    Best of luck to Rachael.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    Rachael posted on FB that she has declared in the the Biology program at Stanford and spent part of last week shadowing an orthopedic doctor in the ER. She's also got some great photos people took at the event in Washington last week as well. She looks great. https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...type=1&theater
    Got message: this content is no longer available.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Still works for us.....
    Ether way, check out Flatt's official FB page
    www.facebook.com/RachaelFlattUSA.
    Couple of photos there

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    Please no. I love Uncle Dick, but... He is not what he used to be

And just think an entire Olympics with giggles and constant references to her medal.

I think she's not even average as a sports commentator

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    You actually have to be logged into FB to see the photos..otherwise "not available"

vCash
    I just tried the same link as Iceman and got the same message about it being unavailable. I was logged into Facebook when I tried the link.

Best of luck to Rachael. COP is not kind to skaters who aren't flexible or like Rachael who have back problems.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Cooper View Post
    You actually have to be logged into FB to see the photos..otherwise "not available"
    I am, it directs me to her page, with my name/find friends/home at the top, but still says "This content is no longer available". The above link at post #91 directly logs me on to everything I can access through Facebook, but the link to the specific article is the one stumping me (and, I take it, Iceman as well). I myself have posted several direct links to specific facebook photos of Rachael, and on other occasions, Lucinda Ruh and Anjelika Krylova, perhaps someone can try posting a few that ways.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Cooper View Post
    I think you have to be FB friends with Rachael to see it.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    I LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT when a skater does well academically while actively skating and then when slowing down and finally retiring by simultaneously seeing the big picture and doing well in high school, college and graduate school to set herself up professionally. Good for Rachael, she has figured life out so far and seems to be on a great track.
    Last edited by Lacey; 03-02-2013 at 12:20 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Plushenko is capable of beating everyone else when at his peak. Flatt on the other hand...
    Had Rachael had not developed problems with her back, she probably would have been a lot more competitive. Her bulging discs limited what movements she could do, and I think this added to her boring factor.

She was/is a tough competitor. What season did she first injure it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    Had Rachael had not developed problems with her back, she probably would have been a lot more competitive. Her bulging discs limited what movements she could do, and I think this added to her boring factor.

She was/is a tough competitor. What season did she first injure it?
    Flatt was supposed to compete in the JGP series in the autumn of 2006,but withdrew due to the back injury (bulging discs) and missed the entire series, so she went thru the US qualifying competitions and finished 5th in her first season as a US Senior lady. Flatt competed internationally as a junior the following season 07-08, with a gold and silver in her two JGP events, finished 2nd at the JGPFinal, competed in Senior ladies at 2008 US Nationals where she placed second, and won the World Junior title.

So, she has had a bad back six full seasons. Ouch!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatak View Post
    A former French champion, that became World champion, also became a doctor... and a minister.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alain_Calmat
    Debi Thomas as well

Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast