Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spazactaz View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...YqmcDFpM#t=81s
    "It was a good solid outside edge too"
    "Sure was!!"

Dick and Peggy sure don't agree.
    To be fair, if you go to the end of that video, where they show the triple lutz in slow-motion, it's very obvious it's a flutz.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post

Do the judges see the < or << before they award their GOE? Because they hit her pretty hard on that.
    It depends. If it's called real time, then yes. If it's called after the marks are in during a post-program review, then it's too late, and there are no automatic adjustments based on the score being over the maximum, i.e. the maximum score given the bullet points less the minimum mandatory deductions for <, <<, e, and/or !, nor does the computer automatically lock in a maximum score, if they're called real time, and adjust the score if it's called during review. (For paper scoring, they'd have to be adjusted to the maximum legal score, if the score exceeded it.) The underrotations end up with a double hit if they're called on time, through base score and GOE, whereas it's all GOE for edge calls.

I wish the tech panel was in charge of calling whether the steps proceeding the solo triple in the SP are sufficient, with one call for short break requiring deduction and another for a more severe deduction, like for underrotions and edges, or, alternately, calling levels on the intro footwork, with a LB if the break was long or the steps barely there, and L1 for minimal difficulty and/ or a shorter break. They could set the levels so that there was a big jump in base for L2-4, to compensate for the deductions that are applied sporadically for missing a key requirement in the SP. They could also level all jumps for the content bullet points (difficult exit and entry) and let the GOE be strictly about the quality of what was attempted.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

Banned Member
    vCash
    Karen Kwan is way too passive to coach a skater like Caroline! Remember at Nationals one year recently where Caroline said "I look pissed!" in the kiss n cry? Karen just sugar coated the whole program. A skater needs a tough coach to tell them like it is!

Banned Member
    vCash
    Karen Kwan doesn't know a double from a quad! It took Caroline to point out that her lutz was underrotated! Caroline needs to hire Yuka Sato and Jason.

Banned Member
    vCash
    It's a real shame that Caroline wasn't around in the 90's. She would have had a great career on the professional circuit with her pearl spin and Triple loop Triple loop combo that IS fully rotated most of the time! I'd rather watch Caroline skate than Mirai any day.

Banned Member
    vCash
    I think that Karen Chen is the next Caroline Zhang.

I mean they were both 13 year old Asian wunderkids who couldn't rotate their jumps.

They both had breathtaking exhibitions.

And they both fell short of expectations at their junior nationals when they were 13.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    I thought winning the 4th place pewter medal in Junior Ladies was an excellent accomplishment by Karen Chen at this year's U.S. Nationals. She certainly didn't fall short of my expectations.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyahardly View Post
    Karen Kwan doesn't know a double from a quad! It took Caroline to point out that her lutz was underrotated! Caroline needs to hire Yuka Sato and Jason.
    That is the last thing she needs to do.. There is something really cursed over there right now...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyahardly View Post
    If after hiring Yuka and Jason then hire a coach that understands spin levels...
    Is Jason still a ISU tech caller? How is that possible if you dont know the rules?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fudove View Post
    If after hiring Yuka and Jason then hire a coach that understands spin levels...
    Is Jason still a ISU tech caller? How is that possible if you dont know the rules?
    IIRC Jason Dungjen is an ISU tech caller for pairs. With regard to Jeremy's spin, it's not the first time a situation of this kind has occurred. Other top skaters, with top coaches, have actually completed illegal spins in competition and lost points. It's possible Jeremy's coaches specifically asked officials to watch out for the spin in the practice in Omaha. It's also possible other skaters have been told of illegal elements, right before competition, but have not been as open and generous with reporters in the mixed zone as Jeremy tends to be. The error was caught in time and, IMO, many skaters are still seeking out Yuka and Jason as coaches.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nylynnr View Post
    IIRC Jason Dungjen is an ISU tech caller for pairs. With regard to Jeremy's spin, it's not the first time a situation of this kind has occurred. Other top skaters, with top coaches, have actually completed illegal spins in competition and lost points. It's possible Jeremy's coaches specifically asked officials to watch out for the spin in the practice in Omaha. It's also possible other skaters have been told of illegal elements, right before competition, but have not been as open and generous with reporters in the mixed zone as Jeremy tends to be. The error was caught in time and, IMO, many skaters are still seeking out Yuka and Jason as coaches.
    Huh? I do not think Jeremy was walking around asking for judges for last minute critiques or advice. He arrived later than all of the other competing men and missed the initial practices. I will give Yuka a pass on not double checking before Nationals my guess is she trusted Jason ...but he should have known better.
    How do you know he was open and generous with reporters, I am sure he wasn't stopping them to report an oversight by his team

Ice Network did not have to report the mistakes by his team, they did because it was unusual. That is what news is ---stuff that happens that is unusual. I am glad they ran the story. Everyone makes mistakes, but this one was not Jeremy's he trusted his coaches. Whether it was reported by the press or he kept it to himself --- Jeremy knew. I am sure that it is a hit on your confidence that your coaching team is exposed for technical errors and your program has to be changed just before you compete.

Blergh
    vCash
    Nice to know that other coaches are perfect.

vCash
    Caroline's coaches seemed to be doing well last season. If Caroline hadn't done so poorly in the Grand Prix, she would have gotten better scores at Nationals. I'm not sure what the problem was back in the fall.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234