Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Article : Skater Caroline Zhang takes positive approach

Here is a very nice article from the Orange County Resister.

http://www.ocregister.com/sports/zha...egard-ice.html

Let's hope she pulls herself up in the free.

vCash
    ^^ Yes, thanks for linking the article, Polymer Bob.

vCash
    I was very proud of the way Caroline skated her LP last night. Regardless of the marks or placement, how satisfying that must have been! She is truly a fighter.

vCash
    ^^^
    So was I!
    Thanks for sharing.

vCash
    I was very proud of Caroline too and hope she comes back next season!

vCash
    I hope Caroline tries something different next season. Nobody seems to know what to do for her though. She has to get a little bit physically stronger somehow, and I think it's not easy with her body.

vCash
    I hope Caroline is pleased with her performances at Nationals despite her placement.

She didn't get any UR calls in her freeskate, which is a great sign. Those cost her dearly in the short (had she done a fully-rotated 3Lo+2T and 3F, she would've been at least 3-4 places ahead in that segment.

Let's not forget she's still only 19.

I hope she uses the summer to work on her jumps even more, get more speed, and some exciting programs along the lines of her 2008 and 2009 SP that "push" her.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Caroline was amazing and her LP was one of the highlights of the night. She could have easily given up after the short. I know the UR's were there in the short but it has to hurt when you feel like you were an inch away from the top 3 after the short, literally. Her LP was so good and her first double axel, in particular, was such an improvement from what she has been doing in years past.

I think she needs music that pushes her. The slow music does her no favors. I thought the same thing watching Mirai's LP.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    I hope Caroline tries something different next season. Nobody seems to know what to do for her though. She has to get a little bit physically stronger somehow, and I think it's not easy with her body.
    That's what I thought. She has to increase her strength to weight ratio. She is just going to have to hit the gym hard.

vCash
    She seems like a very nice person, and I actually feel really bad for her that her skating career seems to have been born with these massive shortcomings in speed and jump technique. That said, if she truly wants to become relevant compared to the top 10 at Nationals, she's going to have to do things in her training that she's never done before. I'm not sure what has been holding her back from truly getting more power/speed, interesting choreo, etc. into her skating, and by god I'm not saying that is easy to achieve. But for someone who seems to take this very seriously, I have to wonder if she's afraid or somehow resistant to change or pushing herself out of her comfort zone. I'm sure Tammy Gambill has some thoughts on this subject, I'd love to know what her experience w/ CZ was...

vCash
    I think there may just be some limits to fast a certain person can skate or how high they jump. You look at the young Kostner, Kim or Gold, and they just fly down the rink. Is that because they train so much harder/better than Caroline? I doubt it, they all work hard but some skaters are just built for speed. Caroline has great flexibility, but not so much speed and power. It's a great credit to her that she almost has that 3L-3L rotated, I honestly wish the caller would give it to her, that's such a hard combo and hers are about as good as Lipinski's. (seems a bit unfair that it was instrumental in helping Lipinski win an OGM and Zhang gets clobbered in the marks). She should be proud of how she skated these last two Nationals , her hard work and preserverence really do come through in these performances.

vCash
    What a joy it was to see Miss Zhang skate two phenomenal programs at US Nationals this past week, complete with the only 3R/3R combo. being done in the world today!

So glad I got to see her skate live at 2010 SA because she's just as phenomenal in person...

vCash
    The Orange County Register's follow-up on Zhang in their FS article:
    An enthusiastic crowd was on its feet early Saturday, rewarding the solid and flowing routine by Brea's Caroline Zhang with a standing ovation. Zhang, the former World junior champion, 12th after a scoring controversy with her short program, finished 11th overall at 161.89.

"She could have decided to lay down and give up when they downgraded the scores and she came back and fought and ultimately she's a fighter," said Peter Oppergard [should be Oppegard], Zhang's coach.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by haribobo View Post
    She seems like a very nice person, and I actually feel really bad for her that her skating career seems to have been born with these massive shortcomings in speed and jump technique. That said, if she truly wants to become relevant compared to the top 10 at Nationals, she's going to have to do things in her training that she's never done before. I'm not sure what has been holding her back from truly getting more power/speed, interesting choreo, etc. into her skating, and by god I'm not saying that is easy to achieve. But for someone who seems to take this very seriously, I have to wonder if she's afraid or somehow resistant to change or pushing herself out of her comfort zone. I'm sure Tammy Gambill has some thoughts on this subject, I'd love to know what her experience w/ CZ was...
    Yes. I think she'd need somebody to really push her out of her comfort zone. And given how often she's changed coaches, I'd guess she's quite resistant to change.

vCash
    I have assumed that improving power/speed is just a natural challenge for her flexible body. Send her to Tarasova.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    I have assumed that improving power/speed is just a natural challenge for her flexible body. Send her to Tarasova.
    There is really no need to send her anywhere to eat up more of her parent's money. The judges have shown that no matter what she does -she is done. She can improve her jumps, but they will never be to the standard that USFS wants.... Her body after puberty is no longer aesthetically pleasing for skating with her longer/bigger torso and shorter thicker legs and all of this stress of trying to make it / trying to recapture her former star power is taking it's toll as a lot of her strong hairline has fallen out..
    She has enough international medals to call it a good career. She should be thinking about school now and moving on with the next phase of her life... Especially because there isn't even any money in skating anymore to have her do show skating as a middle of the pack senior skater..

vCash
    I think it's wonderful that her parents have supported her dream, but then there may be another side to it. Perhaps her parents want it more for her than they should. She is very smart, and I also hope she takes advantage of those gifts. Does she say she wants to start college in the fall of 2014?

vCash
    I think the decision to continue with skating or not is up to Caroline and her parents/sponsors. To me she has always needed power and speed. I recall Michelle Kwan going to Irina Rodina early in her career which really helped her develop power. After she left Frank and went to Rafael he chased her around the rink to force her to skate faster - and it worked. Perhaps some lessons with Rafael (not full time) would help with these issues. I know Lake Arrowhead is a 1+hr. drive from LA so maybe that really isn't feasible during certain times of the year.

A lot depends on Caroline and how much work/travel she is willing or able to put into skating.
    I thought her FS at Nationals was really very nice and if she chooses to call that her final competitive skate she has nothing to be ashamed of.

vCash
    Peter Oppegard spoke out about Caroline Zhang's 3Lo<+3Lo<< SP combo (Base Value reduced to 5.40, she received 3.80 points for it) - I posted the IN article link and excerpt in the U.S. Ladies thread yesterday: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3823679
    To Oppegard, the problem lies with the way technical panels use slow-motion viewing to analyze the loop, a jump which takes off from a back outside edge without the assistance of a toe pick, and lands on the same back outside edge.

"The toe loop is rewarded more often than the loop jump," Oppegard said. "When you slow down the loop jump, the nature of the take-off is a little further around and it can be considered a round-edge jump. You put your toe in for the toe jump just as far around, maybe further, and because there is a toe in the ice, they tend to say the take-off is clean.

"This edge is a curvy thing; where you start and where you finish on that curve is a little bit subjective. Anyone doing the loop -- especially the triple loop-triple loop, as maybe only Caroline can -- is also leaving herself a little bit vulnerable to the system."

It's Oppegard's hope that the ISU technical committee, which frequently adjusts international judging system guidelines, will re-examine the issue.

"These are very smart people who know skating," he said. "I think some allowances [should be] made for the loop. A level playing ground between the toe and the loop, that's all I'm asking for. Caroline has cheated [the loop-loop] in the past, but there is a pretty strong consensus that she did it quite well in Omaha and it was over-deducted."
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Thanks! I've been wondering what her coaches were thinking about Caroline's URs.

"This edge is a curvy thing; where you start and where you finish on that curve is a little bit subjective. Anyone doing the loop -- especially the triple loop-triple loop, as maybe only Caroline can -- is also leaving herself a little bit vulnerable to the system."

It's Oppegard's hope that the ISU technical committee, which frequently adjusts international judging system guidelines, will re-examine the issue.
    I gotta say I have to agree with this. 3 Loop is very tricky in counting rotations.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast