Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Then you just have to make sure you have the right judges available at the right time.
    ^this. Don't know how many dance judges you have in your area, but we have next to none with qualifications for anything higher than pre-bronze dance. It can be *really* tough to get the right judges at the right times!
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    ^this. Don't know how many dance judges you have in your area, but we have next to none with qualifications for anything higher than pre-bronze dance. It can be *really* tough to get the right judges at the right times!
    Bronze dance judges can judge dances through the pre-silver level. Silver level judges can judge through pre-gold. You need gold dance judges for the gold and international dances. Additionally, for the international dances, the gold level judge has to be specially certified to judge international dances. Across the country, there are actually more gold and international dance judges out there, as they are older, and new people are not going into judging to replace them. As older dance judges retire and pass away, there could be a problem with lack of dance judges.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    If it's 6 min per dance, plus a 5-minute warm-up, that would be 29 minutes. From what the guide says, it sounds like the warm-up structure is fine, but if the same coach is taking all the skaters through, you might need to allot an extra minute in there to allow the coach to move between students.

For Prelim and Pre-Bronze dances, you can put two out at a time, starting from opposite ends, since those dances only require 1 judge. But if they all need the same coach, that won't work, obviously.
    The rules were changed last year, and bronze dances can now be operated with one silver level judge, as well. This was done because of judge shortages, I think. I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it yet, but don't forget that silver and above level dances require the candidate to test the dance with a partner and then solo. Plan to give those silver and above level dances more time in the schedule tp accommodate the solo.

vCash
    As mentioned before, i'd say please please go high to low, so the exhausted partner doesn't have to pull off a test worthy pre-gold dance(s) after already dragging multiple kids thorough a bunch of low stuff!!! If there are contingency tests, just group those together (do the silver then pre-gold consecutively). You din't have to go stictly in order, as in, all high to low or low to high.

Mixing in a moves test or two sounds like a good idea to give the partner a break too.

vCash
    Thank you again!

I have both tests set up on different rinks with all the dance tests at one rink. I was, however, able to put some moves test between dance groups to give the dance coach a break.

But holy smokes, this put all my higher-order logic skills to work to make sure that coaches, skaters, and judges were where they needed to be at the right time. I only have two skaters who need to test at both rinks, but was able to give hours between and cleared it with them that they were okay with the switch.

Seriously...if you are ever in a position to hire someone and see "Figure Skating Test Chair" on their resume, you know they have some good organizing chops. :-)

vCash
    We were looking at our test calendar last night and wondering how many dance tests we could accommodate (the most would ever be 10) and I mentioned your situation.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    I mentioned your situation.
    I'm either going to be an unsung hero, or I'll have to wear a disguise for the next few weeks at the rink.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by carriecmu0503 View Post
    Bronze dance judges can judge dances through the pre-silver level. Silver level judges can judge through pre-gold. You need gold dance judges for the gold and international dances. Additionally, for the international dances, the gold level judge has to be specially certified to judge international dances. Across the country, there are actually more gold and international dance judges out there, as they are older, and new people are not going into judging to replace them. As older dance judges retire and pass away, there could be a problem with lack of dance judges.
    There are certainly many judges across the country, but not many willing to travel to judge just 1 or 2 bronze, pre-silver, or silver-level tests (no matter how well we take care of our judges, and we do our very best to treat them very well!!). We are a very small club and only one coach teaches dance, so there aren't a whole lot of people testing dances at any one time.

Hope it goes well, Jozet!
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    There are certainly many judges across the country, but not many willing to travel to judge just 1 or 2 bronze, pre-silver, or silver-level tests (no matter how well we take care of our judges, and we do our very best to treat them very well!!). We are a very small club and only one coach teaches dance, so there aren't a whole lot of people testing dances at any one time.
    But most of the dance judges are also certified to judge moves in the field, so you could use them to judge other tests as well if you need to go to the expense of bringing them in.

How close are you to a major airport? If you can find a willing judge who is also near an airport with direct flights to where you are, that might be cheaper than having someone drive.

vCash
    We also were lucky this time that there is a big synchro competition the weekend before the test. It was cheaper to have judges stay over an extra night than to have people drive specifically for the test session. Of course, this won't work every time, but could be a consideration.

vCash
    Our judges always come from out of state, and all the clubs in the area hold their test session (usually 1 per year) in conjunction with a competition.

My club decided to not have a competition this year, so no test session. Sad, since I had 4 dances ready. I decided not to go with the expense of keeping them up to standard until the summer (other nearby club's usual session) and just won't be testing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozet View Post
    I'm either going to be an unsung hero, or I'll have to wear a disguise for the next few weeks at the rink.
    Hey I am in Australia - the other side of the world. It is just when here they comment about scheduling they need to be reminded that there are others who have a bigger job than they do.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    DONE!

Two test sessions running at two separate rinks, 22 dance tests, plus moves and free skate, 59 tests total.

The judges didn't even break a sweat. One told me that she regularly goes to test sessions with 60-80 tests or more in a day.

The coach who partnered with 21 of the dances said it all went well.

THANK YOU everyone for walking me through this!
    Last edited by Jozet; 02-18-2013 at 08:02 PM.

vCash
    Well done Jozet. Skating really values volunteers like yourself who take these tasks on.

vCash
    Wow, impressive!!! Well done. Here's hoping the pass rate was good!!
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Yay, Jozet! And as Aussie Willy says, thank you for volunteering for such a challenging job. I hope that your efforts were appreciated by the skaters, coaches and judges.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12