Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 43
  1. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Age
    25
    Posts
    9,105
    vCash
    1529
    Rep Power
    0
    EXPLORER

  2. #22

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    Posts
    5,829
    vCash
    4511
    Rep Power
    9461
    Does "lottery winner" count?

    If I can't be that, then I would love to be a house flipper. Go in and fix up an outdated house, sell it, then move on to the next.

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gwyneth Paltrow Fan Club headquarters
    Posts
    17,258
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    28790
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Oh I think reviewing bad movies would actually be more fun than reviewing good ones. Think of all the snarky comments you could make!
    Having done that job, I will say the opportunity to snark is not much of a plus. Because the vast majority of movies are not that good, and seeing lots of bad movies - not funny bad, just BAD - becomes really tedious after a while.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

  4. #24

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    34
    Posts
    12,783
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34878
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
    I think I pretty much have mine; just wish it paid enough that I only had to do it 2 days a week
    Me, too. I'd work four days though.

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Age
    35
    Posts
    12,720
    vCash
    2634
    Rep Power
    39122
    The one I always go back to is being a creative director for a fashion magazine. I guess I'm channeling Grace Coddington's work for Vogue here
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

  6. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,506
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    Museum curator. It would be the coolest job ever for a nerd like me. Or perhaps an adjunct history professor somewhere. Avoid the research pressures and stress of trying to get tenured.
    I'm with you!

  7. #27
    Corgi Wrangler
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Not Wearing Enough Sparkles
    Posts
    6,454
    vCash
    510
    Rep Power
    5546
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    Museum curator. It would be the coolest job ever for a nerd like me. Or perhaps an adjunct history professor somewhere. Avoid the research pressures and stress of trying to get tenured.

    myhoneyhoney, my cousin is an archaeologist. He also lectures at UF, and a museum in Gainesville, but he also goes on digs andd whatnot. He told me to never get into it.
    Heh. Same deal with curators. It doesn't pay very well, there aren't a lot of jobs, and you have to pray someone with a good job dies so you can have it. I wouldn't recommend museum work to anyone (or any NFP sector unless you're in grant-writing and development, aka asking people for money. Then you can pull six figures easy.) There's not really a lot of fun research or anything in museum work.

    I wish I'd been a veterinarian, but I would never have passed the math and science even to get into the Caribbean option (the vet schools in British/ex-British Caribbean possessions are less picky than US schools) let alone an American program. (I barely managed a D- in freshman calculus and only got a C in physics because my lab partner knew what he was doing.) That's even with full professors essentially repeating the lecture to me after each class slower using smaller words.

    I suppose my dream job would be a housewife in the country. I could clean the house and always been home for the dogs, get laundry done, cook decent meals, still have time to make stuff for my Etsy store without having to drag myself to work. I've never had a job I liked.

  8. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,410
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Heh. Same deal with curators. It doesn't pay very well, there aren't a lot of jobs, and you have to pray someone with a good job dies so you can have it. I wouldn't recommend museum work to anyone (or any NFP sector unless you're in grant-writing and development, aka asking people for money. Then you can pull six figures easy.) There's not really a lot of fun research or anything in museum work.

    I wish I'd been a veterinarian, but I would never have passed the math and science even to get into the Caribbean option (the vet schools in British/ex-British Caribbean possessions are less picky than US schools) let alone an American program. (I barely managed a D- in freshman calculus and only got a C in physics because my lab partner knew what he was doing.) That's even with full professors essentially repeating the lecture to me after each class slower using smaller words.

    I suppose my dream job would be a housewife in the country. I could clean the house and always been home for the dogs, get laundry done, cook decent meals, still have time to make stuff for my Etsy store without having to drag myself to work. I've never had a job I liked.


    My Mom's comment to me (the feminist daughter) was while she supported my desire to stay out of the kitchen her greatest desire was to be back in the kitchen. She eventually made it back to the kitchen ( I happen to think feminism isn't defined by job title.)

  9. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    2,804
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I'm really lucky that I love my to-be job (still in grad school) and that it actually pays.

    Although if I couldn't have gone into medicine, I would have loved to be a tulip-picker in the Netherlands. You know, when they plant those huge fields of tulips and hire people just to pick the flowers so all the energy goes back down into the bulbs so they can dig them up and sell them? I saw a special on this when I was a kid and have always wanted to try it. In one grad school interview they asked me what I would have done as a job in an alternate life and this is what I said and I got accepted!

  10. #30

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91441
    A freelance photographer
    An artist (oil painter)
    A research scientist
    A public speaking coach
    A physician
    An Astronaut (should have been at the top of my list; in college I seriously considered becoming one)
    Last edited by Vash01; 01-27-2013 at 06:33 PM.

  11. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In the middle of a hair war with Alena Leonova.
    Posts
    2,554
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    - figure skating and gymnastics commentator (I would NOT be allowed on any family-friendly networks)

    - cultural anthropologist for a pop publication (atrocity tourist, photographer of weird things)

    - "the nose" for a perfumery or test kitchen (I'm extremely detailed and good at picking up tiny obscure notes when it comes to smell)

    - documentary film maker

    - floor exercise and skating choreographer

    - stringed instrument maker

  12. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    624
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Claims adjuster. Lol, the Office organizer will understand.

    Music critic. I'm working my way through the '90's discography, and just discovered I find Kurt Cobain and Nirvana to be tiresome.

    Photographer. But I'm doing it now,and it's not as cool as being a claims adjuster.

  13. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,438
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Archaeologist or something to do with history or castles.

  14. #34

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    48
    Posts
    17,931
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33055
    Quote Originally Posted by Habs View Post
    My dream job is to be an office organizer.
    I love office supplies and my own office is colour-coded and filed to within an inch of its life. My boss actually offered to pay me overtime to come in on a weekend and help her organize.
    I can understand this one.

    I would actually just love to be paid for all the stuff I do for skating (administration and judging). I would be a very rich woman if I did.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

  15. #35
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Fenway Park
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,751
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Professional video gamer. There are people who make a living playing Call of Duty. That sounds so fun to me!! Or a video game tester. Basically anything to do with video games.

  16. #36
    Resident Rude Brazilian
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    In a million depressions over the end of the World Cup
    Posts
    3,229
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    15463
    I don't really know what would be my dream. But I certainly know what would be nightmare.

    Quote Originally Posted by maatTheViking View Post
    - teaching university level stuff without having to deal with academia politics or research
    This. To me it's "the reason I left my masters in physics". The thought of an academic job. I love teaching though Even my desperate to pass high schoolers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    Travel writer. Being paid to travel the world is pretty much my dream job.
    To me it would somethig like a travel channel presenter, gets paid to saty in best hotels of the world and do some fabulous activities.

    Quote Originally Posted by Habs View Post
    My dream job is to be an office organizer.
    I love office supplies and my own office is colour-coded and filed to within an inch of its life. My boss actually offered to pay me overtime to come in on a weekend and help her organize.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    I can understand this one.

    I would actually just love to be paid for all the stuff I do for skating (administration and judging). I would be a very rich woman if I did.
    We should go on business together.
    When I worked on a lab during physics life, Id spend at least a day per month organizing me mess, labeling materials, organizing computer files and logbooks. Then I left physics and decided that I didn't want it all to go to waste, so I took on enginnering. I didn't want to suffer mathematically anymore, so I went on to production/industrial engineering, without knowing much about it.

    Guess what they teach you there? Scientific ways to organize everything.
    I'm seriously considering opening a consulting business as an organizer.
    Dá-lhe, Isadora!!
    Lead me not into temptation. I can find it, and eat it, all by myself.

  17. #37

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    The Porny Old Ladies' Home
    Posts
    5,121
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33241
    Quality control inspector at the Ben & Jerry's factory in Vermont.

  18. #38
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    531
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Restaurant critic (getting paid to eat well)
    Travel writer (getting paid to see the world)
    Eco-tourism guide (getting paid to know something about nature AND travel)
    National park ranger (low pay but living in the most magnificent places in our country)
    Brew-meister (getting paid to brew and drink)

  19. #39

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    with the traditionless
    Posts
    5,614
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    8583
    Quote Originally Posted by Marge_Simpson View Post
    Quality control inspector at the Ben & Jerry's factory in Vermont.
    LOL. Nooooooo! I'd have to buy a new wardrobe in larger sizes. My backup job always used to be postman because you are getting paid to exercise. Since the implosion of the postal service though, I have to come up with a new plan. Though I think any dream job for me would have to be part of being a team. I usually find that work much more fun than "isolationary" jobs.
    What would Jenny do?

  20. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    531
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Thought of a few more ideas:

    Winery tour guide (or winery owner)
    Sports/hobby store worker (making a career out of your own hobby - e.g. scuba, cycling, outdoor adventure)
    Photographer
    Historic/scenic railroad engineer (doesn't every little boy want to drive a train!)
    Race car driver
    Ski instructor (or other ski resort worker)
    Boat operator for fishing trips

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •