vCash

HDTV- with or without 3D/wifi, etc.?

I can't find my old thread about HDTV. I am at decision point now. Either I buy just a regular HDTV with LED or buy one with:

1.Smart TV (built in wi fi)
    2.3D
    3.Both

Naturally the price goes up with the options and the size. The only sizes I am considering are 40 inch and 46 inch, and it's going to be a Samsung, with 120 hz.

Anyone has experience with this? Positive? Negative? Amazon.com usually posts ratings and they are often very helpful. I have not heard anything negative except that the 3D in the 40 inch was not that good.

I am also giving some thought to - what happens if I move? Will it be a high risk to carry an expensive TV vs. a not so expensive one? There are no fixed plans for my move, but what if it happens?

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    get the bigger size, when you get it home it will not seem as big as in the store
    i watched IN on a smart tv for the first time this wk and it was amazing, im so used to having to watch on the computer
    these tvs arent particularly heavy, you could move it yourself in your car
    i dont care for 3d but the tv i bought came with it
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Re-registered User
    vCash
    I would get the Smart TV, especially if you have decent internet. I download and watch a lot of shows, and I use Netflix, and not having to use any other device would be great.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Our TV has 3D, but it's not something we are particularly interested in and you have to buy the glasses to go with it, which we haven't done, so we haven't even tried it and I don't know that we ever will.

We haven't used the built-in wifi much, either. I did watch IN on it some this weekend and it was great, but I don't know what we will do with it otherwise. We have five computers in the house and all of them are easier to use than the TV if we want wifi. If you like Netflix or something like that, you might use it more than we do.

As mlp said, the TVs are relatively light and easy to move; I really wouldn't worry about that.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    Like Prancer mentioned, I would get the smart TV if you have a subscription to a streaming service like Netflix or Hulu Plus. I'm not sure if the smart TVs have it but my Roku also has some other channels that I can stream like Al Jazeera English or Pandora. This may be an option with smart TVs. With the smart TV, you won't have to buy a roku or other streaming device.

IA with Prancer and mlp about moving too. LED TVs are very light. It shouldn't be an issue to move it if you leave your current residence.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I see absolutely no point in 3D TV. Most of them require the glasses and I heard they are VERY expensive to replace. Are you really going to want to sit at home and watch movies in 3D? Movies which you will have to go out and purchase and which will undoubtedly cost extra? I would never, I hardly even see 3D at the movies.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    mine came w 3 pair of glasses, not that i have any intention of using them
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!