Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

Thumbs up USFS announces TV broadcast extension with NBC & ISU media rights thru 2017-18

Press release: http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=48904&type=media
    (1/25/13) - U.S. Figure Skating announced two major media rights agreements today that will guarantee unprecedented coverage of figure skating in the United States through the end of the 2017-18 Olympic season. The first is a four-year extension of its broadcast rights agreement with NBC and the second is icenetwork.com's acquisition of all U.S. media rights for International Skating Union (ISU) events through the 2017-18 season.
    (I was trying to write a descriptive thread title & was beaten to starting a thread by missing, shucks. )
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I think this is a Yay!

vCash
    So long, Universal Sports!
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    So long, Universal Sports!
    Actually, if you read the article, apparently Universal sports is still getting some of the broadcasting for figure skating. It doesn't really identify who will get what.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    You're right. The press release seems to indicate that Icenetwork will control the streaming rights, which is a good thing:
    "The ISU rights agreement delivers on the promise icenetwork.com made to the skating community from day one," MLBAM Executive Vice president of Content Dinn Mann said. "These athletes and their fans expressed excitement about a shared vision for the world's premier online skating destination. This agreement ensures that all major international figure skating events will be streamed live for U.S. fans to enjoy. Icenetwork.com continues to grow, and its mission, as always, is to provide exclusive viewing opportunities from premier figure skating and now speed skating competitions, while delivering the latest news and information about skating year-round."

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I hope all the streaming is through IN. I'd be happy to drop US. Not only does it cost $15/month for the DirectTV sports package, the streaming has had a lot of technical problems this season. I'm willing to pay more for IN if need be.

vCash
    Great news!!!

vCash
    It appears that IceNetwork will have live online coverage of all ISU events, and Universal Sports and NBC will continue to handle the TV coverage. Going forward, we should be able to see everything on IceNetwork regardless of whether we have Universal Sports.

This is a great deal for all fans--having primetime coverage of Worlds on NBC is very important for the visibility of the sport.

vCash
    The main thing is that IceNetwork isn't blocked from live coverage anymore.

If Universal Sports had at least given an option to subscribe for their online stream for those not on satellite (instead of trying to force customers to complain to Comcast etc) I'd be more charitable towards them. As it is they actively screwed most US fans this season.

vCash
    Great re IceNetwork getting the live coverage rights!

Now, if only NBC would consider adding Tanith Belbin and other competent up-and-coming figure skating commentators to their broadcast! I wish that Scott Hamilton and Tom Hammond would just retire already. I appreciate some of Sandra Bezic's passionate insights, but her sometimes pandering biases are off-putting. Time for some more refreshing, more insightful and more knowledgeable figure skating coverage.

If Johnny Weir doesn't attempt another comeback to eligible competition, he would also add some wit, excitement, energy and illumination to the broadcast coverage. But I suppose the bigwigs (especially Hamilton) would never allow for that possibility taking place at NBC. And honestly, we'll probably have to put up with Hamilton, Hammond and Bezic until the bitter end of figure skating's inglorious passage through a daunting transitional phase, which will certainly last well beyond this new NBC contract extension.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    yayayayayayay!!!!
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    I wonder if IN is going to hike their prices again? It went up this year and we got less coverage...well, delayed coverage anyway. With them streaming worlds, euros and 4CC, is the price going to jump to $50 or $60?

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    I wonder if IN is going to hike their prices again? It went up this year and we got less coverage...well, delayed coverage anyway. With them streaming worlds, euros and 4CC, is the price going to jump to $50 or $60?
    WHO CARES as long as we get it.

good lord some people can only look for the negative

This is great news for people who want to watch online!!!

Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    WHO CARES as long as we get it.

This is great news for people who want to watch online!!!

AGREED! If this happens, I will gladly remove US from my package...and save $$$.

vCash
    So does this start effectively immediately?

Will we get full coverage of 4CC and Worlds on icenetwork this year?

Will we get full coverage of all 6 GP events on icenetwork in fall of 2013? Or is this effective after 2014 olympics?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    Um, I wasn't being negative. That's a valid question. I've been a subscriber since 2009 and I'd like to maintain my subscription. However, the price went up this year despite the delayed coverage. Now that they're back to live feeds again and will be adding more events...why is negative to ask how much it's going to cost?

vCash
    This agreement ensures that all major international figure skating events will be streamed live for U.S. fans to enjoy.
    think that includes europeans?

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliona22 View Post
    think that includes europeans?
    Universal sports is showing all the free skates for Europeans this year. This press release doesn't specify who'll show what.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    It doesn't really look like NBC network TV will have that much more coverage of Skate America or Nationals -- "The extension with NBC guarantees a minimum of 11 broadcast hours of coverage annually, including two hours in primetime, from Skate America and the U.S. Figure Skating Championships through the conclusion of the 2018 U.S. Championships." It sounds like Universal Sports will still have a lot of the TV coverage. But the main difference will be the increase in icenetwork.com coverage. I will have to get set up to stream to my big TV. Probably easier on my SmartTV?
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    That's really disappointing that the majority of skating on TV will still be on Universal Sports. It would have been nice to at least get the coverage on NBC Sports Network since that channel is viewable in a lot more homes (without having to pay for a sports package). I was hoping that since NBCSN showed a great deal of Olympic Trials coverage in 2012, somehow figure skating would appear on that channel in the near future.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast