Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash

Happy Robbie Burns Day

O wad some Power the giftie gie us
    To see oursels as ithers see us!
    It wad frae monie a blunder free us,
    An' foolish notion:
    What airs in dress an' gait wad lea'e us,
    An' ev'n devotion!

Happy 254th birthday, Robbie!

vCash
    My husband (a Scot) addressed the haggis last night as part of a 3-day stint at a local Scottish pub in Toronto. Cold knees!

vCash
    I finally found a Burns supper in Seattle! Alas, too late for this year, but next year I am so there.

vCash
    Happy Burns night everyone! Hope you all found some haggis! I'm still recovering from my school's Scots Poetry Recitation competition and having to listen to my entire class recite "The Sair Finger" (not one of Burns' poems - but a primary school favourite) one by one. I don't drink so I'll pass the whisky and have a glass of irn bru instead!

vCash
    We are heading out as my daughter is dancing and her papa. I piping for her very special
    Next weekend we get to go to the pipe band burns dinner, although I don't eat roast beef, so not sure what I will eat for dinner......doubt they have a vegetarian option

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieD View Post
    Happy Burns night everyone! Hope you all found some haggis! I'm still recovering from my school's Scots Poetry Recitation competition and having to listen to my entire class recite "The Sair Finger" (not one of Burns' poems - but a primary school favourite) one by one. I don't drink so I'll pass the whisky and have a glass of irn bru instead!
    I tried irn bru once and that was enough! I don't like whisky either but I'll welcome some nice ale.

vCash
    I'd love to go to a Burns Night supper. I never think about it...

My Scottish family must be horrified that we don't do these things.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrufflet View Post
    I tried irn bru once and that was enough! I don't like whisky either but I'll welcome some nice ale.
    I love the smell of whisky but I've heard it's vile to drink! Irn bru is meant to be a great hangover cure though. People tend to have an instant love or hate reaction to it though!

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    I'd love to go to a Burns Night supper. I never think about it...

My Scottish family must be horrified that we don't do these things.
    Lol, I'm Scottish and have never in all my 31 years been to a Burns Night Supper so don't worry. About the biggest concession I make to it is making chicken balmoral (chicken breast stuffed with haggis), or buying the haggis topped pizza which is sold here. I don't mind a bit of haggis but I draw the line at eating a whole plate of the stuff - especially with neeps as is traditional (turnip)- bleurgh!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieD View Post
    I love the smell of whisky but I've heard it's vile to drink! Irn bru is meant to be a great hangover cure though. People tend to have an instant love or hate reaction to it though!

Lol, I'm Scottish and have never in all my 31 years been to a Burns Night Supper so don't worry. About the biggest concession I make to it is making chicken balmoral (chicken breast stuffed with haggis), or buying the haggis topped pizza which is sold here. I don't mind a bit of haggis but I draw the line at eating a whole plate of the stuff - especially with neeps as is traditional (turnip)- bleurgh!
    Haggis topped pizza? Yuck! But then we have haggis poutine if you can believe it! He brought me some haggis last night from his pub gig so I shall happily consume it tonight with tatties (no neeps in house).

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    I've made vegetarian haggis in the past, but didn't bother this year. I quite like Irn Bru but it's not worth the price you have to pay to buy it here. So I satisfied myself with a couple of Innis and Gunns, some shortbread leftover from Christmas ... and watching a couple of episodes of Hamish Macbeth.

I don't have tickets for the Gung Haggis Fat Choy dinner tonight either, though I have been in the past. It's a fantastically Vancouver cultural fusion of Burns Night and Chinese New Year, and an absolute hoot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrufflet View Post
    Haggis topped pizza? Yuck! But then we have haggis poutine if you can believe it! He brought me some haggis last night from his pub gig so I shall happily consume it tonight with tatties (no neeps in house).
    Haggis poutine sounds awesome! I tried to describe poutine to my friends when I came back from Canada and they kept telling me it was just "chips and cheese!" (another of our delicacies). They clearly weren't getting the point! Haggis pizza is better than it sounds - the company who make it put cheddar on the pizza as well as mozzarella - good combination!