Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Locked out of Facebook for 4 days

Anyone experienced the same? I was suddenly locked out on Monday night, then had to reconfirm my birthdate, did that, then had to send in a colored copy of my passport.... Did that as well.. And since... nothing!!! No explanation, no e-mail...

vCash
    Did you contact someone in customer service about it?

vCash
    I have no clue where I can find customer service for Facebook ... I did just follow the instructions given to me

vCash
    Send in a colored copy of your passport?!?! That does NOT sound good to me, rather like some hacking/identity theft attempt. Are you sure you sent it to the facebook team?

vCash
    Were you sent the instructions in an e-mail, where you clicked on a link that brought you to a website where you sent the information? What happens when you go to facebook.com? I've never heard of anything like this before, but it sounds like a scam.

You might want to look at this link, and also go here or here.

vCash
    I am pretty sure. Also it showed a https site and linked to FB online help, via Twitter I have been in contact with some other users who experienced the same

vCash
    When I logon, I get a screen that I have to prove my identity. I still see popups from "best friends" changing status updates or even from messages that were sent to me. I also asked friends to check any suspect activity on my account (timeline)

vCash
    So have you actually gone to http://www.facebook.com and tried to log in per usual? And you're locked out there?

Absolutely never send something like your passport across the internet without getting for sure in contact with an actual, legit customer service rep. Where did you get this notice, Twitter? e-mail?

vCash
    Yes I just went to the normal logon screen, and through there I also got these messages - also got an email on Tuesday

vCash
    The passport thing is throwing up MAJOR red flags for me.

vCash
    Well it did for me too, what do you think. I actually checked FB policies on this and everything looks "OK" , well... according to the policies. I can not find any phonenumber here in NED to get in touch

vCash
    Wow. I just looked this up on Facebook community help pages and this isn't a scam. Facebook is actually doing this.

The good news is that some of the people on the help pages said that a week or so after submitting the ID their access was restored. For some people, it wasn't. So, I guess you'll need to hope.

In some cases, accounts were deleted when the government-issued ID showed a terms of use violation (for example, that the user was under 12 even if she/he had parental supervision and approval). But this is legit. In other cases they just never restored access for no apparent reason.

I have always thought Facebook was pretty shady and gross, but this brings it to a whole new level. If they ever asked me for such a thing I would tell them to please delete my account. I would never send it to them. Hopefully, the more this happens, the more people will demand some level of accountability.

If I were you, I would wait a week and then, if for some reason you still want a Facebook, I would make a new one with a new e-mail address.

I also tried to find a customer service hotline for Facebook and couldn't find a phone number that seemed guaranteed and legit. When a phone number was provided by a website it invariably stated that this wasn't at all a good way to get in touch with Facebook. Which opens up all sorts of additional questions.

vCash

Question

^^^Wow. I've been on Facebook numerous times this week, from my work computer, the web-based FB on my cell phone and Facebook Mobile, but I haven't had any problems accessing it.

vCash
    Thanks for your help on this. I read these pages as well, before I sent off my ID. I think it is pretty gross what they are doing. I demand an explanation why my account was locked out, and I guess I will never have it. I am curious whether the account be opened up again. It will be a pretty tedious job to get most contacts back, so that's why I will wait

vCash
    Here is the section of the Facebook FAQ on submitting ID.

The best form of ID you can provide is a government-issued, photo ID like a passport or drivers license. This ID must:

Clearly show your name, picture, and birthday
    Be in color
    And here is the section on disabled accounts.

When I log in, my account is suspended because Facebook's systems detected that I engaged in abusive behavior.
    To regain access to your account, you will need to log in and follow the on-screen instructions. You can find more information about behavior that is not permitted on Facebook by reviewing our Statement of Rights and Responsibilities.
    There is an appeal form if an account was disabled unrightfully.

And there are all sorts of things in the Statement of Rights and Responsibilities that I would never imagine would be against policy but are. Here's one section of it:

You will not provide any false personal information on Facebook, or create an account for anyone other than yourself without permission.
    You will not create more than one personal account.

If we disable your account, you will not create another one without our permission.
    You will not use your personal timeline primarily for your own commercial gain, and will use a Facebook Page for such purposes.
    You will not use Facebook if you are under 13.
    You will not use Facebook if you are a convicted sex offender.
    You will keep your contact information accurate and up-to-date.

You will not share your password (or in the case of developers, your secret key), let anyone else access your account, or do anything else that might jeopardize the security of your account.
    You will not transfer your account (including any Page or application you administer) to anyone without first getting our written permission.

If you select a username or similar identifier for your account or Page, we reserve the right to remove or reclaim it if we believe it is appropriate (such as when a trademark owner complains about a username that does not closely relate to a user's actual name).
    Facebook is the best way to keep in contact with all of my family and friends back in the USA but right now I'm sitting here seriously considering deleting the fecking thing. Again.

Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    ^^^Wow. I've been on Facebook numerous times this week, from my work computer, the web-based FB on my cell phone and Facebook Mobile, but I haven't had any problems accessing it.
    This isn't something they've done to everybody or in one specific time frame, from what I can gather. It just happens, out of the blue, to some people. I've never had an issue, except that FB already gives me the creeps relatively often.

vCash
    I am BACK IN! Actually I got an email just now that they suspended the account when they shouldnt have ...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoenNL View Post
    Anyone experienced the same? I was suddenly locked out on Monday night, then had to reconfirm my birthdate, did that, then had to send in a colored copy of my passport.... Did that as well.. And since... nothing!!! No explanation, no e-mail...
    That sounds very strange. I would not send a copy of my passport to anyone other than an immigration office or a government organization. I would definitely contact someone at facebook by phone, if possible. Someone may have hacked into your account, I am afraid.

ETA: Just saw your later post. I am glad you are back in, but it concerns me that they asked for a copy of your passport.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    Wow. I just looked this up on Facebook community help pages and this isn't a scam. Facebook is actually doing this.

The good news is that some of the people on the help pages said that a week or so after submitting the ID their access was restored. For some people, it wasn't. So, I guess you'll need to hope.

And if someone told these people to jump off a bridge, would they?

vCash
    If facebook ever asks me to submit a color copy of my passport or drivers license, I will simply let them close my account. My concerns about facebook seem to be justified at this point. As long as I have the access, I will continue with it.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    If facebook ever asks me to submit a color copy of my passport or drivers license, I will simply let them close my account. My concerns about facebook seem to be justified at this point. As long as I have the access, I will continue with it.
    Yup. I enjoy Facebook, but not to the point where I'm willing to risk identity theft. I already limit the amount of personal info I give them, the bare minimum allowed. No way in a million years would I give them a copy of my id.

Speaking of Facebook ... anyone else noticed "recommended pages" popping up on their wall? Basically, ads are now part of your feed instead of relegated to the margins. I have no problem with ads, it is a free site after all, and I don't even mind them mining my cookies to make the ads personalized to me (ha! go ahead, try me!). But to make it look as if I'm the one who "recommended" these sites to all my Facebook friends ... grr. You can hide these stories, but you have to do so manually. Not cool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast