Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    vCash
    I never said those 3 were done. But they definitely have all controlled their own destiny (at one point and/or another) and failed to rise to the occasion...numerous times.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leesaleesa View Post
    I was being facetious. Except for the part where I would have kicked it.
    Oh, okay.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    The US could certainly do more to promote the sport - for starters, new NBC commentators. Not to mention how poor the FS coverage is on US networks - even poorer than it is on Canadian networks. If you don't air events, you don't get an audience.
    But USFS doesn't control NBC Sports.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leesaleesa View Post

Gracie is fine. She's a pretty girl with red lipstick who jumps well. She needs her hair fixed more than she needs damage control.
    I wonder if the judges have relayed that to her, remembering they told Flatt to lighten her hair and cut it.

vCash
    I wonder if Ashley feels some pressure to try something she is not ready for a worlds, a 3/3. I hope not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    I never said those 3 were done. But they definitely have all controlled their own destiny (at one point and/or another) and failed to rise to the occasion...numerous times.
    Sounds like a self help mantra: "We all definitely control our own destiny and have numerous opportunities to rise to the occasion. And if perchance we fail, ... we may be doomed (or privileged?) to come back in another incarnation to go through the same or similar challenges until we get it right!"

Re the current present state of affairs in figure skating, skaters may control what they are able to do on the ice, but they don't necessarily control their "destiny" in terms of what the judges decide. But yes, doing one's best can make a crucial difference in the judges' marks, or not (depends on a variety of factors).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Personally, I don't think Ashley Wagner needs anyone "nipping at her heels at senior Nationals" in order to stoke her competitive fires to be ready to take on the World. Ashley has already experienced many times all the ups and downs of Nationals competition. What's different is that she's now the one on top. And also, U.S. Nationals is the hardest Nationals competition in the World (with Japan, Canada and Russia also among the most difficult depending upon the discipline). I don't think Ashley needed Gracie Gold, nor anyone else to help her realize that defending and winning again at Nationals would not be easy. Ashley knew that going in, and I'm pretty sure she wasn't sitting back reading her press clippings, resting on her laurels, admiring her medal load of last year, and saying to herself, "I got this."
    Point is this: she's going to have to push the technical envelope to keep up with the up-and-coming crop. Not just internationally to compete against Kim, Asada, et al. but now also domestically if she wants to stay on top...(and particularly if there are only 2 spots...it could get REALLY competitive)

No 3-3 in the SP or 2A/3T in the FS is simply giving points away. Unless, of course, she is not consistent enough on them to go for it. It's a risk but sometimes you have to take risks to win.

Gracie Gold's journey is just beginning, and I think it's helpful for Gracie to have a veteran like Ashley Wagner setting an example as a competitor and as a teammate.
    Yes, in the sense that Wagner is also a strong US hopeful and wears the US Champion cap in order to take some pressure off of Gold...but otherwise it really doesn't matter. I don't see them being too chummy

I wouldn't lump Czisny, Flatt, and Nagasu into one dismissive category of "having taken themselves out of it." That doesn't make the least bit of sense to me in regard to describing these former U.S. ladies champions ... not in any way, shape or form.
    This comment was not intended to imply that those three are finished, as mentioned above. However, I've lost track of the amount of times they've (collectively) thrown away opportunity after opportunity to win a medal or make a statement of some sort...

vCash
    ^^ We all have our varying perspectives and debate can be a good thing. In any case, it's not necessary to be "chummy" in order to respect your fellow competitors. Yes, it's an individual sport, but it's also good to be team-spirited, especially for World Team Trophy and the team comp to come at Sochi. Sure, I know it can be a bit testy when everyone's fighting for the one spot at the top. But again, as a fan I'm rooting for the entire U.S. team to do well at 4CCs and Worlds. And yes, the competition should continue to be quite interesting at Worlds and Nationals events currently and going forward.

Re Czisny, Flatt, and Nagasu, they each will have personal challenges no matter what lies ahead. I wish them all well, and I think they each have taken excellent advantage of their opportunities and have fought determinedly against setbacks. It seems to me that there are many competitors who would love to achieve even half of what these ladies have accomplished on and off the ice.

vCash
    http://outfront.blogs.cnn.com/2013/0...igure-skating/

Above originally posted by aemeraldrainc in the "Figure Skating Lacks Popularity" thread in GSD. I thought it might be interesting to discuss here as well since a tweet by Ashley is included, and the article mentions ladies figure skating in the context of "searching for new stars." I think the mention of Dick heading a lecture discussion complete with skating performance clips at the Film Society of Lincoln Center (sponsored by Ice Theater of New York) was very interesting. I agree with the "Outfront" blogger that such a lecture style touring series would be great. I also think ISU and feds should collaborate on unique ways to entertain and educate the public about the new judging system.

Also, I don't think there is a need to "search" for new stars, but simply to think outside the box and beyond the status quo re promoting all of the skating athletes/ stars who already exist, but are being ignored (and it shouldn't be all about the ladies, as others have noted in recent threads).

vCash
    I think the mention of Dick heading a lecture discussion complete with skating performance clips at the Film Society of Lincoln Center (sponsored by Ice Theater of New York) was very interesting
    I would gladly pay for a DVD of that presentation.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    I would gladly pay for a DVD of that presentation.
    Me, too!

vCash
    [QUOTE=aftershocks;3825827]http://outfront.blogs.cnn.com/2013/0...igure-skating/

...........Also, I don't think there is a need to "search" for new stars, but simply to think outside the box and beyond the status quo re promoting all of the skating athletes/ stars who already exist, but are being ignored........QUOTE]

Amen.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910