Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

vCash
    So sad. Barry was always very kind to me and to others who approached him at comps. IIRC, we met at SA in Springfield, MA too many years ago. RIP, Barry.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Sorry to hear about this. I met Barry at one of the skating comps in Saint John many years back.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Very sad news. So many wonderful contributions to the sport. I still have some e-mails from earlier exchanges, RIP.

vCash
    Such a sad news. When there were less resources online, his photo introduced me to many skaters and highlighted many competitions. I have learnt so much also just admiring what a skating photo should be.

RIP Barry Mittan.

vCash
    I was stunned to find this out, this morning. Barry was a great talent and a great friend. He will be missed. My sincere condolences to Jayne, his lovely wife. Anyone who would like to leave a message for her can do so on Barry's FB page.

vCash
    Oh no. I've seen his name on so many skating photos online it's even funny. Have enjoyed his website as well. So sorry to hear about this . Condolences to his loved ones.

Just me
    vCash
    RIP

The skating community has lost a talented photographer.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    What a loss.
    The quality of his articles and photographs showed his respect and love for skating.
    He brought its' beauty to life, for all fortunate enough to know his work.
    RIP

We have just learned that renowned internnational ice skating photographer and all round lovely guy, Barry Mittan, has passed away after being involved in a horrific car accident in his home town in Leon County, Tallahassee, Florida.

Barry sustained catastrophic head injuries and was on life support, which, we have heard, was turned off today.
    Article with details:

http://www.tallahassee.com/article/2...from-car-crash
    Last edited by skatesindreams; 01-24-2013 at 04:18 PM. Reason: to add link

vCash
    Was very said to hear this news late last night. I met Barry when I was working as a volunteer at a competition, in the press room. This was back in the film age (way back) and I remember chatting every time he dropped off his film or picked up his prints. He was, bar none, the nicest guy who came through that room. He was a very talented photographer who will be missed.
    Erm.... I got nothin'

vCash
    I didn't see this linked above in this thread, but here is an obituary from the Tallahassee paper.

This was sad and shocking news to read this morning. Condolences to his family and friends.

His skating photographs were such a contribution to the sport. He was able to capture so much of the beauty and passion of figure skating and he will be greatly missed.

About a decade ago, I bid (on rssif) on a large group of his photos of the Kween and was thrilled to have the winning bid. Over the years I've given some of them away, but treasure the ones that remain in my possession.

RIP, Mr. Mittan.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    Unlike some of the posters in this thread, I did not know Barry Mittan personally - but I've enjoyed his work over the years, and I know he'll be missed. Such a sad loss and so unexpected. My condolences to his loved ones.

vCash
    Just an FYI, for those who may not have known. Barry also took amazing circus photos. He took photos for NYC Ballet when they were in residence up in Saratoga, NY. He also did landscape books with photos of his world travels. He was just finishing a book on Mexico. He had magnificent photos of his extensive gardens in Tallahassee. He loved animals, and had many, including exotic animals. He had wonderful stories, which he was generous to share with all. He didn't just take technically excellent photos of skaters/circus performers/dancers, he showed us who they were. He befriended his subjects, he cared about them. It showed in his work. It was from the heart.

vCash
    Very sorry to hear this....such a loss for all of us who appreciated his work, and of course for his family most of all.

vCash
    This is really sad. He was waiting at the red light and got rear-ended. There was nothing he could have done. RIP Barry.

vCash
    I am truly saddened to hear of his passing, particularly in light of how it happened. My favorite photos of Kristi Yamaguchi in performance are ones that he took.

vCash
    what a shock. I remember having worked with him on an interview of Frederic Dambier, back in the days.
    RIP Barry :-((

vCash
    Thanks for your beautiful thoughts and remembrances, cruisin, and everyone.

My deepest condolences to Barry Mittan's wife Jayne, and to his family, friends, and many acquaintances. His legacy lives on in his work and in the inestimable kindness and caring he bestowed upon so many people.

vCash
    I haven't logged on or even read FSU for years, my skating fandom has slightly dwindled but I just wanted to add to all the wonderful things said about Barry. I first met him in the 90s when the skating internet was a small crowd and he was everything everyone has said; kind, generous, caring. I think what really stands out is that he loved the skating for the skaters, it wasn't about pleasing the higher ups or promoting himself. He took gorgeous photos for the skaters and their fans. He gave me so many lovely photos when I mantained a fan web site and was always generous with his time to help me be a better photographer. A very sad day, figure skating has lost a special person,

Beach Bum
    vCash
    How devastating! This article has a photo of the crash -- it is not the kind of crash site that makes you cringe. http://www.tallahassee.com/article/2...yssey=obinsite What a terrible thing.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by amyem View Post
    I haven't logged on or even read FSU for years, my skating fandom has slightly dwindled but I just wanted to add to all the wonderful things said about Barry. I first met him in the 90s when the skating internet was a small crowd and he was everything everyone has said; kind, generous, caring. I think what really stands out is that he loved the skating for the skaters, it wasn't about pleasing the higher ups or promoting himself. He took gorgeous photos for the skaters and their fans. He gave me so many lovely photos when I mantained a fan web site and was always generous with his time to help me be a better photographer. A very sad day, figure skating has lost a special person,
    Yes, he did. It was all about love of the sport and caring for the skaters.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast