View Poll Results: Which Film Should Win The Best Picture Oscar?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Amour

    5 6.10%
  • Argo

    30 36.59%
  • Beasts of the Southern Wild

    3 3.66%
  • Django Unchained

    2 2.44%
  • Les Misérables

    13 15.85%
  • Life of Pi

    8 9.76%
  • Lincoln

    12 14.63%
  • Silver Linings Playbook

    3 3.66%
  • Zero Dark Thirty

    6 7.32%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 55 of 55
  1. #41
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5,541
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    BAFTA (British Oscars) are going on right now.

    Skyfall just beat Les Miserables for Best British Film.
    I totally agree with that decision. Skyfall was a very good film and surpassed the usual trappings of the Bond genre. Les Miserables in my opinion was horribly directed and melodramatic.

  2. #42

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    I Want to Go to There
    Posts
    9,863
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    40900
    ^ I do too. BAFTA loved Skyfall. They gave it a lot of nominations plus it just beat out superior scores (such as Life of Pi) for Best Score. Although, it did lose Best Cinematography (which was GORGEOUS) to Life of Pi (which was even better).

    Argo just lost Best Adapted Screenplay to Silver Linings Playbook (in a huge shocker). Many assumed it was between Argo and Lincoln. If Argo doesn't win Best Picture/Director, then this may be the turning point since this is the award show that can direct the Academy on how to vote since the Academy just sent out their ballots to members two days ago. Never underestimate Harvey Weinstein who is also behind Django Unchained which just won Best Original Screenplay and Best Supporting Actor.

  3. #43
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    in my head
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,718
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Voted for Beasts of the Southern Wild, as it's the only one of those films I really want to see.

  4. #44

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    I Want to Go to There
    Posts
    9,863
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    40900
    I spoke too soon. Ben Affleck just won Best Director, haha.

    ^ Sofia Alexandra, you won't be sorry. Beasts of the Southern Wild is truly a gem of a film. The director also wrote the screenplay and the musical score.

    ETA:

    Heck yeah! Emmanuelle Riva just won Best Actress at BAFTA. She's my first choice with Jessica Chastain second. I was worried with the Silver Linings Playbook win for Screenplay.
    Last edited by VIETgrlTerifa; 02-10-2013 at 09:21 PM.

  5. #45
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Two-foot skating = BAD
    Posts
    20,494
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I can't believe that "Les Mis" got even nominated.

    Well I can believe it since Oscars are all about the $$$ but still...

  6. #46

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,399
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    68873
    Argo won Best Picture and Best Director at tonight's BAFTA's. Confirms it as the front runner for the Oscars
    Last edited by Maofan7; 02-11-2013 at 12:20 AM.

  7. #47
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5,541
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Maofan7 View Post
    Argo won Best Picture and Best Director at tonight's Baftas. Confirms it as the front runner for the Oscars
    Yeah, it looks like that. It still is hard for me to believe that a film will win Best Picture without a Best Director nomination (which I definitely think it deserved), but the precursors all seem to be pointing in that direction.

  8. #48

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    I Want to Go to There
    Posts
    9,863
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    40900
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I can't believe that "Les Mis" got even nominated.

    Well I can believe it since Oscars are all about the $$$ but still...
    I hope it doesn't win four awards like it did at the BAFTAs. So much for the Brits having better taste, eh.

    We have to deal with the fact that it'll win at least one with Anne Hathaway.

  9. #49
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    9,949
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I hope it doesn't win four awards like it did at the BAFTAs. So much for the Brits having better taste, eh.

    We have to deal with the fact that it'll win at least one with Anne Hathaway.
    The three other BAFTAs Les Mis won were for production design, make-up/hair and sound. Don't know about the sound since it hasn't premiered here yet, but from the clips the production design and make-up look magnificient.

    Plus in her BAFTA acceptance speech one of the production designers said "I had never seen a crew of a hundred carpenters sing I dreamed a dream with their hairy arses hanging out", so extra points for that bit of contribution to the history of cinema.

  10. #50

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Home in England!!
    Posts
    2,488
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1014
    Quote Originally Posted by jenny12 View Post
    Yeah, it looks like that. It still is hard for me to believe that a film will win Best Picture without a Best Director nomination (which I definitely think it deserved), but the precursors all seem to be pointing in that direction.
    I really believe that Argo will win Best Picture at the Oscars and one reason I believe is that Ben didn't get the Best Director nomination. If he had (rightly IMHO) gotten the nod there then I think the winner would be more difficult to pick but there seems to be a wave of support building for him at the moment to get some recognition for the work he did on that movie from the Academy. It would be interesting to see the nomination ballots (and I know we never will) to see how much he missed out on getting a nomination nod - some serious politicing from other parties really worked for their candidate(s) this time.

  11. #51

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91872
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorac View Post
    I really believe that Argo will win Best Picture at the Oscars and one reason I believe is that Ben didn't get the Best Director nomination. If he had (rightly IMHO) gotten the nod there then I think the winner would be more difficult to pick but there seems to be a wave of support building for him at the moment to get some recognition for the work he did on that movie from the Academy. It would be interesting to see the nomination ballots (and I know we never will) to see how much he missed out on getting a nomination nod - some serious politicing from other parties really worked for their candidate(s) this time.
    I am not so sure that Argo will win the best picture Oscar, although I would like it to. At least all the uncertainty and drama make the Oscars more interesting this year. I remember how bored I was during the Oscar night when LOTR III was winning in every category. Even the King's speech was a heavy favorite, although I would have been happy with either that or the Social network. This year there are many worthy pictures. The only BP winner that would upset me a bit is Silver linings playbook. That movie has marketing/politicking written all over it. Les Mis is really not that good a movie, but I enjoyed parts of it very much. It could actually win, if the political movies split the votes. I won't be unhappy if Zero Dark Thirty won the BP, but that one is the least likely to win.

  12. #52

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,399
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    68873

  13. #53
    Prick Admin
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Having a kiki
    Posts
    42,413
    vCash
    506
    Rep Power
    26080
    I've only seen Argo so I suppose I'll go with that.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

  14. #54

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Skating in a Canadian beautiful way
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,760
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    14413
    I finally watched Argo and enjoyed it, but as a Canadian, I have HUGE problems with the historical inaccuracies in that film. Both Ken Taylor and Jimmy Carter have spoken out about the liberties Affleck took with history to turn it into a Hollywood movie. Ken Taylor in particular was initially very upset with how the Canadian role was diminished in the film. Affleck actually changed the original postscript text to make it more accurate to help smooth things over.
    I enjoyed it for what it was - a good movie - but I can't get past the altering of the story.

  15. #55

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91872
    Quote Originally Posted by Habs View Post
    I finally watched Argo and enjoyed it, but as a Canadian, I have HUGE problems with the historical inaccuracies in that film. Both Ken Taylor and Jimmy Carter have spoken out about the liberties Affleck took with history to turn it into a Hollywood movie. Ken Taylor in particular was initially very upset with how the Canadian role was diminished in the film. Affleck actually changed the original postscript text to make it more accurate to help smooth things over.
    I enjoyed it for what it was - a good movie - but I can't get past the altering of the story.
    This is a movie, not a documentary. It means the story can be changed to create drama. It's nowhere as distant from the truth as the Social Network was.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •