vCash

Food Lies...anyone surprised?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/exclusive-g...ry?id=18281941

I wish they had listed brand names so they would have some public pressure to comply.

vCash
    WOW! Thanks for posting.

vCash
    It's really criminal. When you buy 100 percent pomegranate juice you shouldn't be getting 10 percent or artificial juice. Esp when most are over 7 dollars a bottle. And the fact even milk can be watered down...for some kids that is a bulk of their calories.

Makes me want to bring a food scale to the store and weigh the yogurt and cereal boxes - I'm sure we are being cheated there as well.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Actually, the weight stuff is very tightly regulated. They get in trouble if the product weighs less than they say, but they are allowed to give you more. So most do. It saves them from (often hefty) fines.

However, it can be an issue if you are on a diet and you use their calorie counts as they are lower than what is in the box most of the time since the box usually has more food in it than the label says.

vCash
    When it comes to olive oil, naming all the fraudulent brands would be quite difficult.

Though I would love it if I could get a couple EVOO brands that were actually pure EVOO. That's been very hard to find amongst all the articles I have read about the scam. One article I read - and I cannot find it! I thought I bookmarked it but apparently not - stated that your best bet is to look for EVOO that was packaged, produced, and processed in Italy. If it says it was produced in Italy but then processed somewhere else, the chances that it was doctored rise exponentially. You want something that is all Italian, from top to bottom. And 'extra virgin' must be on the label, or you're getting a much less healthful product.

It is true that coconut oil and avocado oil are even better for you, and easier to find in undoctored states... but are also seriously expensive. Being a crazy health foodie, I asked for a jar of coconut oil for my birthday last summer It was a big jar though, so even though it was like $28, it's still there. Wish I could have brought it to China with me.

IMO, the US food industry is one huge scam. Your best bet is to buy as locally as possible - which changes depending upon your state (in Michigan, I was lucky to have many Co-ops, local farms, and summer food markets), and to buy whole foods as much as possible. In a state with as bad an economy as Michigan, buying locally would keep a huge amount of money within the state itself.

vCash
    I'm one of the few who cooks mostly from scratch in my circle and we get produce at the Farmer's market. I do have to ask where their farm is located. It is surprising who shows up at Farmer's Markets....

I checked my EVOO and it says "produced in Italy" and names the regions. Nothing about where it is packaged.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I am really sickened that a company can get away with labeling a product as being 100% lemon juice and it has less than 10% lemon juice. I mean, that is absolutely criminal. It is fraud.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    What is to stop them from altering infant formula? Cutting out vitamins listed on the can? Using fillers? I know this has happened in China, but it really sounds like it happens anywhere easily. I didn't use formula for my kids but for over half of infants it is their only food. It's worrisome.

vCash
    I don't understand why this isn't FRAUD! Prosecute a few and maybe we'll see some compliance from the rest.

vCash
    ed
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    When it comes to olive oil, naming all the fraudulent brands would be quite difficult.

Though I would love it if I could get a couple EVOO brands that were actually pure EVOO. That's been very hard to find amongst all the articles I have read about the scam. One article I read - and I cannot find it! I thought I bookmarked it but apparently not - stated that your best bet is to look for EVOO that was packaged, produced, and processed in Italy. If it says it was produced in Italy but then processed somewhere else, the chances that it was doctored rise exponentially. You want something that is all Italian, from top to bottom. .
    Where did you read this from, the 'Italian Olive Growers Association'? California and Spain also make fantastic olive oils. Some of the Spanish olive oils have won some prominent taste tests, much to the Italian brands' dismay. The longer growing season in Spain leads to a riper olive, and many tasters, previously brainwashed into thinking only Italy produces the best olive oil, preferred the Spanish when tasted side by side.

vCash
    Like I said, I cannot find the article. I read a lot of food magazines and blogs, so it could have come from any number of sources (though it definitely did not come from anything Italy-specific). And I am not, and the article was not, speaking about taste - only the likelihood of adulteration.

ETA: This isn't the original article I read however-long ago, but it's similar: http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...m-mueller.html

On the other hand, there’s a strong downward pressure on olive-oil quality, especially among the huge Spanish-, Portuguese-, and Italian-owned olive-oil traders and bottling companies. There is a massive output of low-grade olive oils, particularly in Spain and North Africa but throughout the E.U., which producers are selling as “extra virgin” olive oil, even though this low-grade oil doesn’t meet the requirements of the extra-virgin grade.
    That might be why whatever article I originally read didn't specify Spain as a great country of origin for quality. And yes, I know Italy is mentioned as well, but not as vehemently, clearly.

This is good to know, though, and I remember reading this now but couldn't recall earlier:

In a conventional retail store, certain characteristics of labelling and bottling suggest (though they don’t guarantee) high quality: a harvest date (as opposed to a meaningless “best by” date), a specific place of production and producer, mention of the cultivar of olives used, dark glass bottles (light degrades olive oil), a D.O.P. seal on European oils, and a California Olive Oil Council seal on oil made in the U.S.
    Shockingly, the gigantic plastic tubs of olive oil for a low price in Wal*Mart are probably not great
    Last edited by michiruwater; 01-23-2013 at 07:34 AM.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Unfortunately there are many ways to legally fool the consumer too.

Not everyone reads labels closely, and thus clever design can make 100% juice (truth) give the impression that it's 100% cranberry juice (not - in fine print, the label will say pear, grape etc). There's also the "from concentrate" scam. Legally it's true - the fruit juice is concentrated, then water is added to make it ready to drink - but is it anywhere near the strength of the original, if you had squeezed the orange yourself? They don't legally need to tell you that.

And Product of USA? Right. In many countries, the law is that something is "made in" if the last part of processing and packaging happened in that country. Therefore, Scottish salmon may very well be from 1000s of miles away, but since it was packaged in Scotland, that's legal. Similarly, a can or box of apple juice may say product of Canada, but if it's made from concentrate, the apples and initial processing more than likely happened in China, where apparently 95% of the world's apple supply is now originating.

I remember an article about ground meat a few years ago - someone getting sick from boxed burgers. Investigation revealed that the meat had come from three different sources - two in the US, and one in Uruguay! And don't get me started on what exactly is ground meat anyway - read at own risk: pink slime.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    However, it can be an issue if you are on a diet and you use their calorie counts as they are lower than what is in the box most of the time since the box usually has more food in it than the label says.
    i work in the food industry and can confirm this. the nutritionals you see on the box are done from a calculation, not actual testing. in canada, they can be over or under by 20%

vCash
    Nothing about the "food industry" surprises me anymore.

vCash
    I agree, I wish they'd named names. I'd love to know who the culprits are. Some things, like the tea, really surprised me! Lawn grass in organic teas? Gross. Between this and the disgusting amount of processed, unhealthy shyte that's on grocery shelves, the food industry just skeeves me out. They certainly aren't looking out for the health and well being of the population.