View Poll Results: Which of these ladies do you find least deserving of their Worlds hardware accolades?

Voters
161. You may not vote on this poll
  • Claudia Leistner FRG/GER - '83 & '89 Worlds Silver

10 6.21%
  • Kira Ivanova URS/RUS - '85 Worlds Silver

8 4.97%
  • Surya Bonaly FRA - '93, '94, & '95 Worlds Silver

21 13.04%
  • Carolina Kostner ITA - '05 Worlds Bronze

14 8.70%
  • Fumie Suguri JPN - '02 & '03 Worlds Bronze, '06 Silver

0 0%
  • Kimmie Meissner USA - '06 Worlds Gold

24 14.91%
  • Elena Sokolova RUS - '03 Worlds Silver

10 6.21%
  • Laura Lepistö FIN - '10 Worlds Bronze

34 21.12%
  • Some other awful or mediocre lady competitor

25 15.53%
  • No ladies medalists in all of history deserve to be critiqued. I love them all!

15 9.32%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Two other examples...

Susanna Driano (1978) - won the bronze medal despite not finishing top 3 in any of the 3 phases

Claudia Kristofics-Binder (1981 and 1982) - two bronzes based mostly on winning figures

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerek View Post
    Claudia Kristofics-Binder (1981 and 1982) - two bronzes based mostly on winning figures
    Oh my goodness. These tall Germanic ladies never trained much in free skating. She is better than Claudia Leistner in the grace department, but check out those jumps. Worst air position ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1atF99Om0o

Claudia Kristofics-Binder - 1981 World Championships FS

vCash
    Meissner by far. Mediocrity personified.

vCash
    I'm glad Fumie hasn't gotten any votes thus far, say what you want about her skating and decisions, but she EARNED every single one of her world medals

On a side note.. I can see this thread turning ugly quite soon

Banned Member
    vCash
    Holly Cook.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    Oh my goodness. These tall Germanic ladies never trained much in free skating. She is better than Claudia Leistner in the grace department, but check out those jumps. Worst air position ever.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1atF99Om0o
    Claudia Kristofics-Binder - 1981 World Championships FS
    Claudia Kristofics-Binder was actually not a German, but an Austrian Skater. – I think the last one to medal at a major event.

When voting I was torn between Claudia Leistner, Surya Bonaly and Kimmie Meissner, but finally my vote went to Claudia Leister as I didn’t remember her performances at all. After watching the linked clips I know why - her programmes

One remark on this poll in general: personally I have nothing against expressing which skaters you like and on the opposite also which you like less and which not, as long as critics don't get rude. But I’d really wish the next to last poll option (“Some other awful or mediocre lady competitor”) could be changed, as it implies that any skater mentioned on this poll is awful / mediocre, which I feel is pretty harsh.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    Gusmeroli's jewel thief program was so cheesetastic and unclean, and I think it should have been a prop rule violation. That you could compare Kwan's 99 FS unfavorably with that casts a little doubt on your skating taste.
    Medals are not just decided by the free skate. I would have had Gusmeroli 2nd or 3rd in the SP (along with Rechnio) and Kwan only 8th. Had that happened Kwan could have beaten Gusmeroli by 2 or 3 spots in the LP and still not beaten her overall. Even the U.S media were outraged Kwan was 4th in the SP, and rightfully so. The 5.5s she got for required elements for her short program performance from some judges were as big a crock as the few 5.8s Soldatova got for presentation.

Team Voronov, party of 1
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Leonova
    Oh please. She had a great SP when everyone else bombed. She got the job done in the LP and landed 6 good triples. Yeah, the program sucked but it was technically competent.

All the Wagner lovers conveniently forget how lackluster she was in the SP, Leonova blew her away technically and PCS.

vCash
    By the way: I looks like this poll might be interpreted in two ways - the title is about the least appealing skater (= not such a great skater who might have won a medal well deserved that event, but e.g. in a weak field and with a skate which might not have earned a placement anywhere close to a medal in any other year) or from the headline of the poll the least deserving medalist, which I understand as a skater who didn't deserve a medal at the actual event due to bad judging, etc.

My take was that this poll is about the least appealing skater. But when I now see a lot of discussion on judging and deserved placements in the actual events, I guess I'm in the minority?

vCash
    Holly Cook- 1990 World Bronze
    Jill Trenary- 1990 World Gold
    Carolina Kostner- 2008 World Silver

vCash
    Alena Leonova for sure, and I say that as someone who's been a big fan of her in the past.

vCash
    I don't understand the criticism of Surya that she "cannot skate. All she can do is move from triple jump to triple jump". Surya did turns and MITF in between the jumps. She couldn't have done that and the SLF if she "couldn't skate".

Meisnner's toe-axels were so blatant that it annoyed me. It was very obvious she was doing 3lz-2a/ 3f-2a and not 3lz-3/3f-3t that she should not have received credits for those combos. I also find her overall skating style to be one big snooze.

vCash
    Least appealing for me is Leistner easily. Horrific choreography. Figures saved her for her sure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I don't understand the criticism of Surya that she "cannot skate. All she can do is move from triple jump to triple jump". Surya did turns and MITF in between the jumps. She couldn't have done that and the SLF if she "couldn't skate".
    With flat edges, toe pushing, two foot skating, no edge quality, tripping up on herself, etc. Being able to do turns or MITF does not make you a quality skater because even the most basic skater can do them.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    My first thought when I saw the thread title was Klaudia Leistner. But I'd forgotten about quite a few other ladies that vie for least deserving title like Kira Ivanova.

vCash
    As another poster said the interpretation of this thread is up for debate, but atleast as far as how the competition was judged Ivanova and Leistner definitely deserved their World medals. Leistner was just lucky that both 83 and 89 werent that great a field, that was strong in figures and placed right at the top, and that she did a strong short program both times. Ivanova had the competition of her life at the 85 Worlds, winning figures as usual, and skating very well in both the short and long programs, and fully deserved to beat Chin's meltdown.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by falling_dance View Post
    1911 was a good year for her. She won a bronze in ladies' singles and a pairs title with her new husband without having to finish ahead of anyone else.
    Actually, there are a few cool things about Ludowika Eilers (Jakobsson).

Leaving aside regime and boundary changes, she is the only skater ever to win ISU World medals for two different countries: Germany and Finland. Also, she and her future husband, Walter Jakobsson, are the only pair or dance team who won ISU World medals (silver, in a three-entry field) representing different countries from each other. She was the only German-born athlete at the 1920 Summer Olympics in Antwerp, where she and her husband won gold in the Pairs competition in a field of eight entries. And she also starred in a couple of silent movies made in Finland in the 1920's.

Last edited by Vagabond; 01-23-2013 at 04:09 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alchemy void View Post
    Oh please. She had a great SP when everyone else bombed. She got the job done in the LP and landed 6 good triples. Yeah, the program sucked but it was technically competent.

All the Wagner lovers conveniently forget how lackluster she was in the SP, Leonova blew her away technically and PCS.
    Can't argue with the elements, but the PCS was outrageous. If she didn't skate for Russia, her PCS would be 6.5 at best for all components.

Soldatova, Bonaly and Sokolova are also on my list.

Meissner at least had decent skating skills even though Ziggy rightly pointed out that everything else she did was mediocre and her toe-axels hurt my soul.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alchemy void View Post

I actually really like Leonova....She's not the prettiest skater but she had a reckless abandon at one time that made me more than okay with her PCS marks. She had raw artistry that you can't teach!

My issue with Leonova this past year is that she had even less in her program (not talking about elements) and she lost all her spunk, charisma, and abandon in that freeskate (among others) imho. That's why I think she was undeserving, I think that had her PCS been fairly marked in that lp she would have fallen off the podium by a position or two. Just my two cents.

vCash
    I don't get the Kimmie Meissner hate.

Toe-axels aside, her skate was clean and she worked to get all those levels. Remember she was only 16 when she won, so her presentation wasn't there yet (though I loved her SP from that season and the FS from the next). Edging, speed and sureness where all there.

I have to say Julia Soldatova was my least favorite medalist in recent history. Poor posture, sloppy positions and iffy technique (she lipped and flutzed).

What position was Laetitia Hubert after the SP in 1992? Looking at her FS ordinals I'm surprised she didn't medal.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast