Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    vCash
    Guinevere, I would be hesitant to go to a lawyer. Unless you want the job back or feel that they owe you something significant, I'd avoid that. You have an offer and promising interviews, no reason to compromise those, by getting involved in a contentious law suit. Which may yield nothing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    If Guinevere lives in the US - I believe most if not all states have an at will law. That means the employer can fire or let you go without reason - at their will. Most companies want to have a bit of justification no matter how small or difference in policy from one month to another, but they still have the "at will" option.

Her location says Vancouver, BC.

Sexy Superhero
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    So? Take an earlier bus/train.

I have to be at work at 8:00, and when I have had to take the bus, I am out the door at 7:10, and I only live 5 blocks away from the bus stop, and 3 miles from my job, plus the local transit company runs buses on their major routes, at least, every 10 minutes (and the route I take goes into Albany, so it is considered a "major route").
    It sounds like she started doing so, but not everyone has that option. Public transportation can sometimes be spotty. I used to live in a place where the bus service was only 6 times a day - 3 in the morning, 3 at night, so there wasn't a lot of options. And if you have small children and limited daycare options, it makes taking the earlier buses next to impossible.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Guinevere, I hope you got decent severance (at least 1 wk pay for every year served), and glad you have another option you can pick up right away if you choose. Hopefully, this will end up being a positive change.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Wow... sorry to hear that, Guinevere. I just started reading this thread yesterday, and your (former) boss sounds like someone here. She's only above like 5 or 6 people, but she looses 2 or 3 every year... it's constant turnover. She's also caused former employees to sue (and win) for wrongful term... but upper management leaves her there because "she gets the job done". A friend of mine reported to her for about a year, and nearly had a breakdown. she ended up moving to another department, took a pay cut, and is sooooo much happier.

I hope, as others have said, that you got some severance out of it, but if it really is a weight off your shoulders, then it sounds like its for the best. Good luck with your next venture.
    Erm.... I got nothin'

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Guinevere, I would be hesitant to go to a lawyer. Unless you want the job back or feel that they owe you something significant, I'd avoid that. You have an offer and promising interviews, no reason to compromise those, by getting involved in a contentious law suit. Which may yield nothing.
    There is no harm done in talking to a lawyer and seeing what options are available.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    I'm sorry you're out of a job.
    But when you say you feel a great weight is off your shoulders: that's a good thing. You're free to pursue better opportunities. Meanwhile, make sure the old employer gives you all you're due - including $ for "re-training/placement" or whatever other ex-employees in your position get.

vCash
    Thanks again everyone. I got severance but its minimal. Am considering my options, but have another interview on Monday and the two I've gone on so far are very promising.

It's funny one (ex) co-worker messaged me right after and asked me how I was doing and I said that I was fine (and I mean it, too. I really feel fine now) and that it speaks volumes when I can't look at this as a bad thing. And right now I currently help my family out financially so you'd think I'd be more upset. But that place is just so so toxic I can't feel all bad about what happened.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Guinevere View Post
    Thanks again everyone. I got severance but its minimal. Am considering my options, but have another interview on Monday and the two I've gone on so far are very promising.

It's funny one (ex) co-worker messaged me right after and asked me how I was doing and I said that I was fine (and I mean it, too. I really feel fine now) and that it speaks volumes when I can't look at this as a bad thing. And right now I currently help my family out financially so you'd think I'd be more upset. But that place is just so so toxic I can't feel all bad about what happened.
    Based on this post, I'm happy for you. I wish that your former workplace had not been so toxic, but it appears this is a step in the right direction. I wish you great luck in finding the best job for your skills and happiness.

vCash
    So just quick update - I'm starting my new job next week!! It's the same job as I originally posted and they came up so I'm only $2000 less than before.

And as a side note, word on the street is that my old boss got fired. Is it wrong that I'm enjoying this?

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Good luck to you!
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    So just quick update - I'm starting my new job next week!! It's the same job as I originally posted and they came up so I'm only $2000 less than before.

And as a side note, word on the street is that my old boss got fired. Is it wrong that I'm enjoying this?
    I would probably buy a bottle of champagne and celebrate if I heard my last boss got fired. He is singlehandedly destroying a school in order to benefit his own coaching ambitions. And I know enough people (all but one are women which says something, I think) who also were cut from his staff that would join me. I'd probably have to get two bottles, actually.

So...no, it is not wrong. Enjoy it!

vCash

Not wrong at all. Karma in action. Your former boss treated you badly. You did nothing to cause the firing. At least nothing active, the way you (and others) were treated could have lead to the firing. Good luck with your new job, and feel good that you'll be happier there.

vCash
    Congratulations, guinevere!! And yes, enjoy the news about your ex-boss
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash

Too bad they didn't see things more clearly in the beginning and just fire your boss and promote you to her position.

You will probably be happier in this new job anyway. Congratulations.

vCash
    Congratulations and well done. So happy for you, particularly after all the crap you went through.

There is a saying "Just sit by the river bank and watch your enemies float by". In this case I think the champagne is totally appropriate and if that old boss was floating by then you are entitled to throw the empty bottle at them.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    There is a saying "Just sit by the river bank and watch your enemies float by".
    What a great saying!

Congratulations, Guinevere!

vCash
    All the best in your new position, Guinevere.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash

No, it's not. I just lost a job because I LITERALLY developed an allergy to it (they could have accommodated the medical work restriction, but as that would have meant moving me to a station I liked working and was actually good at, the boss didn't want to do that. She likes yanking employees chains and badmouthing us to each other--always wondered, if she says that about the waitstaff TO us, what does she say to them/back kitchen ABOUT us? Plus the owner only got about one paycheck out of every three right for everyone-we'd be missing hours, paid for the wrong days, missing overtime, etc. That's before the health-code violations....) And I'm now hired at a job with benefits, a dollar more an hour, and where they promote internally and like people who want to train in other departments. I am GLAD to be gone. And will NOT be sad at all when the old place either goes out of business or the health department shuts them down. Your old boss clearly had it coming and you're better off. There is NOTHING wrong with being glad about it. Karma catches up even with bad bosses.

vCash
    I am so happy for you!! Congratulations and good luck in your new people position!!
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast