Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Blergh
    vCash
    I thing is that I understand public transport is a big headache and can be late, but when you take a route that will make you consistently 5 minutes (more or less) late, then that only gives employers something to write about when they choose to.

Unless you have an actual agreement that allows you to go to work later or have some sort of grace period to come in, you have to suck it up and take the earlier (even if it's like an hour) train/bus/subway. Again, if it's better for you to come in five minutes later, then it would benefit you to get actual consent to come in at the later time. That way you won't be considered 5 minutes late any longer and the employer can't write you up for that reason.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Guinevere View Post
    Thanks for all your comments.

I'm 35 and have been in this industry for 10 years now. A real problem I have is that I feel I would be moving down and am losing an office already. But the line of work is slightly different and so I would be starting over again so to speak in learning the details again. So while the job is the same, the knowledge is different from what I do now.
    I would consider how much the new job learning is needed. Sometimes it is not as hard as it might seem on the outside.

Our department head is well known for doing this - since I started working with her six years ago, 12 people in our department of 30 people have either quit or been forced out by her, including some really good people. This is standard fare for her and our senior management does nothing because our department continues to bring in the most money.
    Seems to me that the company is well aware of her tactics and approve of them. especially if the department brings in revenue and continues to lower department over head by forcing people out of the department. I've been the "victim" bought the shirt, lost my self-esteem and sense of identity after the loss of a job and pushed out in that way. In hindsight I should have left on my own terms.

The problem is when it's good, it's really good and fun and hilarious to work here. And I love my other co-workers except the one whose work I end up doing all the time. We call her the department favorite. But then when it's bad, it's horrible. Two women who've been here for 10 and 20 years respectively went through this as well and one had to retain a lawyer to not get fired.
    Having to hire a lawyer to save your job? where is the HR department? or even the company's lawyer who says WTF is happening in the department and why to we have to continue to do this. If the department is that successful in obtaining revenue that they would continue the practice, it probably will not stop anytime soon if at all.

So that is sort of a snap shot. I feel horrible about looking for a new job behind everyone's back because i really like my co workers and if she wasn't here, it would be great.
    Why - companies don't consider this when trying to build a case for your dismissal
    Yet at the same tome I'm not sure if I have time to wait for a new job.
    Think about the pros and cons - what is it that you give up to move to a new position at 6K less. Are you having to give up food, shelter, health, then maybe not a good move. If you are giving up other things that you could go back to when you start to earn more and have an opportunity to move up - maybe a good move. If you health is at risk, move. I discovered that the crushing chest pain I experience almost daily is gone. The excess weight is gone because I am not stress eating. I could list many more.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    As others have indicated, the main concern I have about your current job is that the manager may be trying to get you fired and it's easier to find a new job without having to explain why you were let go. The impact of the financial hit, and the overall impact in the change in job responbilities etc. is something that only you can evaluate.

The one caveat I'd have, and it sounds like you've worked long enough to realize this, is that it's definitely possible that your new job will also have lots of things you don't like about it - managers that aren't always reasonable, coworkers who don't do their share and work demands that impact your personal life and free time. Few jobs won't have something, and often something significant, that annoy you. But overall will the new job be a better fit for your life and your professional ambitions?
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    As Guinevere notes above, some of her colleagues come in late and she doesn't know why,
    My employer had a new hire in our Fabrication Dept. some years back who used to take off early without permission. Why? Because he saw a co-worker leaving early every Friday, so he assumed it was OK for him to do it too. Never mind that the co-worker was a manager who lived out in Auburn, NY (several hours' drive from Albany) - he kept an apartment here in town, and he also worked extra hours the other days of the week so that he could leave at 3:00 on Friday.

That new hire didn't last too long, to say the least.

Watch me move
    vCash
    I understand the issue of being late can be a big deal even if its a few minutes and would not normally have a problem - if it was department policy. my old job was very strict with this and I was on time. But two things: 1. People are STILL coming in late and to my knowledge have not been written up. Also they dont work late because i watch them leave on time every day from my office 2. If it such a problem then perhaps I should have been told. Instead I was told I was being monitored.
    These are all points that would work in Guinevere's favour - quite strongly IMHO - if there was a wrongful dismissal suit. If the employer has implictly accepted the lateness from her and others for years, and then started monitoring her and her alone *and* without letting her know there was a problem, there is a very high chance that will be interpreted as singling her out for the purposes of getting her to quit.

Guinevere, are you quite sure that no one else has been written up or warned?
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Is your current job secure? If so, I would let go the new offer but keep looking for a better one.

But if you current job is not secure as I suspect, I would take the new offer but still keep looking for another one.

Either way, good luck!

vCash
    Wow I guess the point is moot - I was just let go today!!!

YEAH!
    vCash
    So sorry to hear that. {{{Guinevere}}} Good for you having the foresight to find another job before it happened!

vCash
    So sorry to hear that. Hope you are okay.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Did they give a reason? ((Guinevere))
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    No they said I no longer fit with the direction the department was going. They also said I'd done nothing wrong (both the HR lady and department head said that).

vCash
    Well maybe that wasn't the way you wanted to leave but I hope this leads to happier employment. I guess the "overwhelmed" co-worker will be even more overwhelmed now. Shucks!

vCash
    Sucks. But you're free of all that now, and you already have an offer in hand, and another interview in play. Because you are that in demand. Remember through all this - you rock. Head held high, and on to the next thing.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    WOW , very interesting given your thoughts on the manager and her direction....did your at let get some severance? Can they let you go without fair warnings etc? Ad I agree with pp luckily you have some other options in play! Good lukc

Watch me move
    vCash
    No they said I no longer fit with the direction the department was going. They also said I'd done nothing wrong (both the HR lady and department head said that).
    I'd talk to an employment lawyer if I were you, since from what you have posted it sounds like you didn't get any warning about your (alleged) lack of fit, or a chance to change. Did they offer you any severance pay?

vCash
    That sounds really dodgy and very vague. What kind of "direction" were you meant to fit in with? I agee with Overedge about seeing a lawyer.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Thanks everyone for all the kind words!! I think I will be fine in the long run.

They couldn't tell me what direction the department was headed in, so I don't know. It's been a whole 21 days since I got my first notice on Jan. 2 until today.

Funny enough, it's like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders, and I can breathe again. It's going to be rough going for a while but it feels better than sitting in the office wondering what's going on that I'm not aware of.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Well, if they can't tell you what direction the department is headed, how do they know you don't fit with it?

I think you should write down everything they said to you today, while it is still fresh in your memory, and see a lawyer.

vCash
    I'm so sorry Guinevere. That sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Did they give a reason? ((Guinevere))
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriajh View Post
    WOW , very interesting given your thoughts on the manager and her direction....did your at let get some severance? Can they let you go without fair warnings etc? Ad I agree with pp luckily you have some other options in play! Good lukc
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I'd talk to an employment lawyer if I were you, since from what you have posted it sounds like you didn't get any warning about your (alleged) lack of fit, or a chance to change. Did they offer you any severance pay?
    If Guinevere lives in the US - I believe most if not all states have an at will law. That means the employer can fire or let you go without reason - at their will. Most companies want to have a bit of justification no matter how small or difference in policy from one month to another, but they still have the "at will" option.

vCash
    Funny enough, it's like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders, and I can breathe again. It's going to be rough going for a while but it feels better than sitting in the office wondering what's going on that I'm not aware of.
    Totally understand. Having been in a situation where I was let go from job (reason given being that I didn't fit in with the company), it ended up being the best thing that could have happened. Because now I am probably in the best job that I have ever had. So sounds like it might end up being a good thing and a great opportunity to find something else. Really hoping that it works out for you. Good luck.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast