Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 69
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,967
    vCash
    1670
    Rep Power
    0

    Road to Sochi : Pre-Olympics World Championships.

    I have decided to add a new thread for all the winter sports world championships that are going to be held over the next few weeks. Especially since IOC has granted entry to quite a few new events to the Olympics. Some of teh new events are in Snowboarding and the FIS Snowboarding world championships are being held in Stoneham (CAN) for last one week. The results from the events so far:

    Slopestyle - Ladies (Will make Olympic debut in Sochi)
    Gold : Spenser O'Brian (CAN)
    Silver: Sina Candrian (SUI)
    Bronze: Torah Bright (AUS)

    Slopestyle - Men (Will make Olympic debut in Sochi)
    Gold : Roope Tonteri (FIN)
    Silver: Mark McMorris (CAN)
    Bronze: Janne Korpi (FIN)

    Big Air - Men (Will make Olympic debut in Sochi)
    Gold : Roope Tonteri (FIN), 2nd gold medal
    Silver: Niklas Mattson (SWE)
    Bronze: Seppe Smits (BEL)

    Halfpipe - Ladies
    Gold : Arielle Gold (USA)
    Silver: Holly Crawford (AUS)
    Bronze: Sophie Rodriguez (FRA)

    Halfpipe - Men
    Gold : Iouri Podladchikov (SUI)
    Silver: Taku Hiraoku (JPN)
    Bronze: Markus Malin (FIN)

    The Snowboarding world championships continue this week with Snowboardcross, Parallel Slalom and Parallel Giant Slalom.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    Age
    41
    Posts
    5,283
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Great thread, but can I ask for one minor change? Could we also put in the Paralympic World Championships results? They're also in a Pre Paralympic year and qualifying will happening for them too the next couple of months.

    I'm guessing the answer will be "Yes!!", but I also like to ask first too.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,967
    vCash
    1670
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    Great thread, but can I ask for one minor change? Could we also put in the Paralympic World Championships results? They're also in a Pre Paralympic year and qualifying will happening for them too the next couple of months.

    I'm guessing the answer will be "Yes!!", but I also like to ask first too.
    Yes, Paralympic too... please feel to contribute... and don't be put off by the sentence "I have decided to". English is not my first language and sometimes make unintentional comments. It is only later when I re-read my post I feel it did not come out the way I intended the comment.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    Age
    41
    Posts
    5,283
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Oh, I wasn't put off by that. It's just that Paralympic Sport doesn't really get the due it deserves and w/the awesome amount of coverage of London's Summer Paralympics last year, it would be a shame to see that momentum die again going into Sochi.

    The IPC was promoting on Twitter the Nordic and Biathlon World Championships for Paralympic participants are coming up in a couple of weeks and the Sledge Hockey Worlds are coming up fast too.

    ETA ~ Aksel Lund Svindal sent this via Instagram to Twitter...

    What a gorgeous day for the famous race at Kitzbuhel
    Last edited by AragornElessar; 01-26-2013 at 11:01 AM.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    Age
    41
    Posts
    5,283
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    It was a BIG day for Cdn athletes and the weekend's not over yet either. As these are all from the CBC, understandably there'll be a Cdn take on the events. Okay then...

    CBC Sports ~ Canada's Kaillie Humphries defends world bobsleigh title

    My Goodness that girl's having one heck of a World Cup Season this year and this is the cherry on top of it all.

    "I'm ecstatic," Humphries said in a release. "Our goal all year was to win world championships and we did it. This is the perfect end to a great season and to do it in St. Moritz is the ultimate for any bobsledder.

    "People don’t understand what this place means to us athletes. It is the birthplace of our sport and the longest track in the world that demands experience and skill so it means the world to me to win the world championships here."

    Americans Elana Meyers and Katie Eberling claimed silver with a time of 4:30.99, while Germany's Sandra Kiriasis and Franziska Bertels earned bronze at 4:31.01.
    CBC Sports ~ Canada's Erik Guay 2nd in Kitzbuehel downhill

    Guay finished the downhill 0.13 seconds back of Domink Paris, who became just the second Italian skier to win the classic men's World Cup downhill in Kitzbuehel, following in the footsteps of Kristian Ghedina's victory in 1998.

    Hannes Reichelt of Austria was 0.36 seconds back in third place.
    CBC Sports ~Canada's Kingsbury, Dufour-Lapointe win World Cup moguls gold

    CBC Sports ~ Canadians grab gold, silver in snowboard cross worlds event

    CBC Sports ~
    Canada's Christine Nesbitt wins 1,000M at world sprint championships


    As I said, it was a BIG day for Canada on Saturday.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,967
    vCash
    1670
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Domshabfan View Post

    Slopestyle - Ladies (Will make Olympic debut in Sochi)
    Gold : Spenser O'Brian (CAN)
    Silver: Sina Candrian (SUI)
    Bronze: Torah Bright (AUS)

    Slopestyle - Men (Will make Olympic debut in Sochi)
    Gold : Roope Tonteri (FIN)
    Silver: Mark McMorris (CAN)
    Bronze: Janne Korpi (FIN)

    Big Air - Men (Will make Olympic debut in Sochi)
    Gold : Roope Tonteri (FIN), 2nd gold medal
    Silver: Niklas Mattson (SWE)
    Bronze: Seppe Smits (BEL)

    Halfpipe - Ladies
    Gold : Arielle Gold (USA)
    Silver: Holly Crawford (AUS)
    Bronze: Sophie Rodriguez (FRA)

    Halfpipe - Men
    Gold : Iouri Podladchikov (SUI)
    Silver: Taku Hiraoku (JPN)
    Bronze: Markus Malin (FIN)
    Parallel Giant Slalom - Ladies
    Gold : Isabella Laboeck (GER)
    Silver: Julia Dujmovits (AUT)
    Bronze: Amelie Kober (GER)


    Parallel Giant Slalom - Men
    Gold : Benjamin Karl (AUT)
    Silver: Roland Fischnaller (ITA)
    Bronze: Vic Wild (RUS)


    Snowboardcross - Ladies
    Gold : Maelle Ricker (CAN)
    Silver: Dominque Maltais (CAN)
    Bronze: Helene Olafsen (NOR)


    Snowboardcross - Men
    Gold : Alex Pullin (AUS)
    Silver: Markus Schairer (AUT)
    Bronze: Stian Sivertzen (NOR)


    Parallel Slalom - Ladies
    Gold : Ekaterina Tudegesheva (RUS)
    Silver: Patricia Kummer(SUI)
    Bronze: Amelie Kober (GER)


    Parallel Slalom - Men
    Gold : Rok Marguc (SLO)
    Silver: Justin Reiter (ITA)
    Bronze: Roland Fischnaller (USA)

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    Age
    41
    Posts
    5,283
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I love watching the Paralllel events. They look like they're a blast and a half to do.

    Also...The World Winter Special Olympics open tonight in South Korea. Their Pledge is one I think all Athletes should say regardless of the Event.

    Let me win, but if I can not win, let me be brave in the attempt
    We have three athletes and one coach from our local Special Olympics Speed Skating program on the team that's over in South Korea. So we'll be paying attention to these Games a tad closer than we normally would.

    Just wanted to mention they were starting in South Korea and thought this might be the best place.

    ETA ~ My manners...Thanks for posting all of those results DomShabfan!!

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    Age
    41
    Posts
    5,283
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

  9. #9
    GPF Barcelona here I come
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    Posts
    9,174
    vCash
    334
    Rep Power
    33415
    Very interesting in the world cup short track speed skating this weekend - test event in Sochi for the Olympics.. Russia won the men's relay.. which is quite an upset.. they have actually been getting much better in short track - perfect timing for next year in Sochi.. A great showing by the Brits as well.. they will likely get their first winter Olympic medal in a long time with Elise Christie in the Short track - she won the overall world cup in the 1000 metres today splitting up the Koreans.. Canadians did well as usual.. good test event from the athletes who were pleased with the facility
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

    "Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,967
    vCash
    1670
    Rep Power
    0
    Luge World Championships : Whistler (CAN)

    Ladies:
    Gold : Natalie Geisenberger (GER)
    Silver : Tatiana Hufner (GER)
    Bronze : Alex Gouch (CAN)

    Men's
    Gold: Felix Loch (GER)
    Silver : Andi Langenhan (GER)
    Bronze : Johannes Ludwig (GER)

    David Moller of Germany was fourth

    Pairs :
    Gold: Tobias Wendl/Tobias Arlt (GER)
    Silver : Toni Eggert / Sascha Beneken (GER)
    Bronze : Andreas Linger/Wolfgang Linger (AUT)

    Team Relay :
    Gold : Germany
    Silver : Canada
    Bronze : Latvia

    World championships were almost a german national championships...

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,967
    vCash
    1670
    Rep Power
    0
    Alpine skiing world championships will start today in Austria. The delayed start will due to weather is 11.45 CET. Today event is the Super-G women's event.

    ETA: now it is 12.15 CET
    ETA2: now changed to 12.30 due to bad weather
    Last edited by Domshabfan; 02-05-2013 at 11:20 AM.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,967
    vCash
    1670
    Rep Power
    0
    Lindsay Vonn, the olympic champion is really badly injured at the opening day of the Alpine Skiing world Championships. Looking at the video, it seems like a knee injury, hope she recovers quickly.

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013...skiing-super-g

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    452
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Domshabfan View Post
    Lindsay Vonn, the olympic champion is really badly injured at the opening day of the Alpine Skiing world Championships. Looking at the video, it seems like a knee injury, hope she recovers quickly.

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013...skiing-super-g
    News report seem to confirm the right knee injury, although no word of how badly she's hurt

    This really hasn't been a good season for Lindsey. Here's hoping for her that it won't be too bad and that she can be quickly back on the skis

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    La Belle Province
    Age
    36
    Posts
    13,376
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3763
    Running that super G race today was a really bad call. Between the fog and the late hour, the visibility was just too poor. I only hope this hasn't cost Lindsay more than this already unfortunate season.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    452
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Lara View Post
    Running that super G race today was a really bad call. Between the fog and the late hour, the visibility was just too poor. I only hope this hasn't cost Lindsay more than this already unfortunate season.
    Eurosport France journalist tweeted that Lindsey Vonn's season is over. Waiting for more confirmation

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    In Saransk, RUS with Gordi Pots
    Age
    34
    Posts
    7,057
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Poor Lindsey

    That´s her path before a major competition, Worlds or Olympics, she always struggels with health-injuries, but to have this horrible crash IN the actual competition. Don´t know how much the postponement and late start affected visibility and conditions and took part on Lindeys´s accident, but it wasn´t fair for many racers. The low ranked skiers were not allowed to race in fact.

    The gold was for Tina Maze who is just unstopable and I think she can win a medal in every event. Silver for Lara Gut (SUI) and bronze for Julia Mancuso who had a very gutsy run given the conditions and she almost stradled a gate and almost fall, but she stayed on course and it was good enough for her 5th world championship medal. Mancuso always deliver at major competitions, they suit her.

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    292
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rayhaneh View Post
    Eurosport France journalist tweeted that Lindsey Vonn's season is over. Waiting for more confirmation
    http://universalsports.com/2013/02/0...super-g-crash/

    Lindsey fractured her shin and tore her ACL and MCL. She plans to be back for Sochi, but I can't imagine she'll be completely recovered by then. What an awful injury--I'm just gutted for her.

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,967
    vCash
    1670
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Braulio View Post
    Poor Lindsey

    That´s her path before a major competition, Worlds or Olympics, she always struggels with health-injuries, but to have this horrible crash IN the actual competition. Don´t know how much the postponement and late start affected visibility and conditions and took part on Lindeys´s accident, but it wasn´t fair for many racers. The low ranked skiers were not allowed to race in fact.

    The gold was for Tina Maze who is just unstopable and I think she can win a medal in every event. Silver for Lara Gut (SUI) and bronze for Julia Mancuso who had a very gutsy run given the conditions and she almost stradled a gate and almost fall, but she stayed on course and it was good enough for her 5th world championship medal. Mancuso always deliver at major competitions, they suit her.

    Tina Maze actually started her run 1m and 15 seconds before Lindsay Vonn, and the conditions at that time was the best during the entire competition (both for Lindsay and Tina). In fact, Tina hadn't finished her run when Lindsay started (this is how they do in World cups as well, so nothing scandalous there). These athletes do races at much worse conditions than the race took place. As for Mancuso almost missing the gate, many athletes ahead of her did miss that gate as well, all the athletes where coming into the gate with much higher speed and by passing the gate (i think that was a new world championship additional if I remember from what I read). I think now media is just trying to making it sound much harder than it actually was. It is more than likely Lindsay made a mistake and fell.

    ACL and MCL tear does not sound promising at all, along with a broken bone. If anyone can make a successful recovery it would be Lindsay Vonn. I wish her best of luck in this very difficult recovery.

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,615
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Domshabfan View Post
    As for Mancuso almost missing the gate, many athletes ahead of her did miss that gate as well, all the athletes where coming into the gate with much higher speed and by passing the gate (i think that was a new world championship additional if I remember from what I read). I think now media is just trying to making it sound much harder than it actually was. It is more than likely Lindsay made a mistake and fell.
    If you look at the videos on the internet, then it's obvious that it wasn't about the conditions. So yes, technically, the fault lies with Vonn even though I'm not quite willing to say she made a mistake. It looks like she landed too much on the inside edge of her right ski after a jump, and at that speed the tiniest bit of off-balance could have caused that. It's just one of those things that, unfortunately, happens.
    But blaming the conditions and/or the course is definitely ridiculous. Each of the ladies skied the course and it's not like Vonn is new to racing.

    I wish her a speedy recovery; she's one hell of a skier and I'd hate if that was the end for her. I hope she can come back to skiing in top form!

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    In Saransk, RUS with Gordi Pots
    Age
    34
    Posts
    7,057
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Picabo Street suffered a similar injury as Vonn one year before the 1998 Nagano Olympics, she was able to recover and took the gold medal in the Super G by the narrowest of margin, definitively a very well pay off

    They have said that it is expected that Lindsey will recover, she is just tough as nails, and could be racing again in the next season world cup, though I think she will take it very slowly and put all her effort towards the Sochi Olympics, almost one year away I think there is plenty of time to get well.

    Today results saw Ted Ligety (USA) won the gold in the Super G (his first victory ever on a speed event), France got silver and Aksel Lund Svindal (NOR) took the bronze. Austria zero medals after two events.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •