vCash

Any bowlers in the house?

(Um, although bowling is not athletic, it is considered a sport)

Does anyone else here bowl? 10 pin or duckpin? Averages and highest scores? Other info?

I bowl 10-pins. I don't bowl on a league, but bowl once or twice a week most weeks. My highest score was 224, but my average is only in the 150s. I'm from somewhat of a bowling family, but myself didn't bowl regularly as a kid, only since the last 3 years have I bowled regularly. My mother when I was a kid, bowled on leagues 4 nights a week and had at least a dozen boxes of trophies stored in the attic, and my dad bowled league once or twice a week... they both had averages over 200. Also two of my siblings were on leagues, but the other two and I only bowled once in a while. I preferred putting my energy into skating.

Bowling is weird lately. I was bowling exclusively left handed for about a month due to an injured right elbow, but then broke my left wrist (I bowl lefty about 1/4th of the time just to be able to bowl with both hands, and because I can switch up if a pin arrangement is easier to knock down from the other side). Fortunately, my right elbow is only mildly painful now when picking up the ball without the support of the left. Thursday I managed to bowl a 177 even though I could only use one hand to handle the ball (the first game was a waste, trying to get my position to compensate for not having the support hand). I was happy that the score was that high, given that I hadn't been bowling right handed for a month.

Sometimes I get my bowling form messed up with how I use my body in skating, which really messes me up. The way I use my shoulders bowling is somewhat opposite of skating doing spins. It's especially bad when I skate and bowl on the same day.

It would be fun to get some skaters together for bowling, but I'm kind of thinking no one here lives near me, close to Washington, DC.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    My husband and I bowl on an every other Sunday league (four person teams) - we just started last year. I hadn't bowled in a league since I was in my early 20's, and he never bowled regularly. My average is around 115 and his is around 140.

We started bowling in part because our son bowled on the high school team. He had never bowled much before (besides an occasional game with friends), but he got a concussion playing hockey and had a lot of time on his hands (could no longer play) so I bought him a ball for Christmas. Turned out he had a talent for it, so he joined the JV team half way through their season and played on varsity his senior year where they made it to the state semi-finals. His average was in the 190's, and he bowls two handed (like this).

I did win around $200 in the league last year between standings and this game we played on the last night where the best average bowler is paired with the worst average bowler and so on, where the good bowler and I finished in second. So that was cool.

vCash
    I have never seen an experienced bowler bowl with two hands like that. How common is it?

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Not very common. I think out of a bowling alley full of high schoolers, there'd be three or four bowling that way. It gives crazy spin , but can be hard to control. I tried it and only managed to throw the ball straight into the gutter.

The odd thing is that he picked the technique up from You Tube and went from there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8er1964 View Post
    The odd thing is that he picked the technique up from You Tube and went from there.
    LOL. Some people claim to have learned to skate strictly from You Tube videos, but I am inclined to believe they learned more from watching other skaters taking lessons at the rink.