vCash

Looking for best pet charity

A friend of mine recently lost her dog, she is understandably devastated. In honor of her dog, I would like to make a small donation to a pet charity. But, I'm not sure which one is best option.
    The one I'm most familiar with is the ASPCA. Which, seems to do wonderful work. But, if possible, I would like to donate to an organization that specifically aids in finding lost pets.

If anyone knows of any worthy charities, please let me know.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Other than the SPCA and the Humane Society, a lot of these charities tend to be local or regional rather than national/international. So it would help to know where you are.

That said, though, the SPCA up here certainly helps reunite lost pets with their humans, I'm assuming the ASPCA does the same. And I'm pretty you can donate locally rather than to the national organization.

vCash
    Thanks. I did find a local organization that helps reunite lost pets as well.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    What a nice way to honor your friend and her dog. I'm sure she'll appreciate your consideration.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    I give yearly to Best Friends. It's a no kill shelter in Utah.

Explore

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Local, local, local. Huge groups like ASPCA (and especially HSUS, who are basically a PAC/lobbyist group) don't really give to local shelters but love to make ads implying they do. The only shelter-like operation that ASPCA runs is the one in New York, so donations to them do not help local animals unless you happen to live in NYC. Local groups are usually starved for funds, foster families, supplies, basically everything.

vCash
    Where do you live? I can give you the information of some of the good no-kill facilities that I know, if you're in that area.

vCash
    you can always also take a look on CharityNavigator.org and see if there are any highly rated local pet shelters. A quick search on 'pet shelter' gives a list of about 180 results, you can filter by state.

Very nice way of honoring your friends dog

vCash
    We have a pet charity called HALO, which is a no-kill facility. I don't know if it's in your location. The Humane Society here in AZ is not very humane. They have euthanized the wrong pets in the past. I will never make a donation to them. I heard ASPCA is good, but it is a huge organization. A friend told me that when you make donations to local charities (rather than national ones) a bigger portion of that donation goes to helping the pets.

vCash
    Local shelters do not get national funds. Check out your local shelter, they are usually badly in need.

vCash
    A local animal rescue group, many are at Petco and other petstores on the weekends seeking adoptive families and donations.

vCash
    I would recommend donating to a local no-kill animal shelter. I don't think you can go wrong with ASPCA, however. They are also good.

I echo that it's nice of you to do this for your friend who lost her dog.

vCash
    How about North Shore Animal League? After they found a dog in a shed during a live news report after hurricane Katrina on CNN (I think?), they started getting requests from people for where they could donate to help animals stranded away from their families. This was one of the organizations recommended.

http://www.animalleague.org/

I always gave to our local SICSA when I had my dog because she was a stray found in a park and could have ended up there. After she died, my mom, aunt and friend all sent donations in her memory too.

vCash
    ITA , go with your local animal shelter. They always need help feeding, caring, spaying & finding new homes for the animals.

vCash
    My husband's company (which makes pet food) regularly donates to this group:

http://pets-for-vets.com/

vCash
    I donate to my local Animal Rescue League. That way I know where it is going and helps local animals.
    I fact, I am leaving them all my money (not much I admit) in my will.