vCash

How do you pronounce "Alaine Chartrand"?

The names of Canadian skaters are sometimes very confusing to me: English, French, or English+French?

For example, how do I pronounce "Alaine Chartrand"? I heard both English and French versions in the youtube clips, so I want to know which version is correct.

vCash

How do you pronounce "Alaine Chartrand"?

When announcing her name at the rink, they introduced her as...

SOUNDS LIKE... a-lane shar-tron ...but there is a bit of an accent on the "tron" which is hard to explain in writing. It was more like "trawn".

I guess the proper way, is whatever she calls herself. Since I have never heard her say her own name, I don't know what that would be.
    Last edited by rvi5; 01-21-2013 at 03:18 AM.

vCash
    It's a French name, so it should be given a French pronunciation, and the final "d" should be silent.

It sounds something like this: "Ah-LEN SHAR-trahn." The french word "laine" (meaning "wool") does not sound like the English word "lane," it sounds more like the first syllable in "Leonard."

I think posting this link should work: http://translate.google.com/?hl=en&t...ne%20Chartrand. If you click on the appropriate symbol on the right side, you should be able to hear the correct pronunciation.

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    It depends if she's French Canadian or not.
    I wouldn't trust the announcers. They called Daleman "Gabriel" like the boy's name.

vCash
    Thank you, all of you.

vCash
    rvi5 is correct. Her name is pronounced A-lane, like Elaine, but with an A. Chartrand can be pronounced either way - Shar Tran or Shar-Tron. Alaine herself is not French, nor are her parents, but family on the Chartrand side is. When her mother named her, she liked the French pronounciation of the name Helen -(pronounced ayh-len) since the H is silent. So she created an english spelling that would sound the similar, but we have always called her A-lane. Alaine herself doesn't mind either pronunciation, but as her family we think it should be pronounced A-lane when in competition. I am her Aunt!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Connolly22 View Post
    rvi5 is correct. Her name is pronounced A-lane, like Elaine, but with an A. Chartrand can be pronounced either way - Shar Tran or Shar-Tron. Alaine herself is not French, nor are her parents, but family on the Chartrand side is. When her mother named her, she liked the French pronounciation of the name Helen -(pronounced ayh-len) since the H is silent. So she created an english spelling that would sound the similar, but we have always called her A-lane. Alaine herself doesn't mind either pronunciation, but as her family we think it should be pronounced A-lane when in competition. I am her Aunt!
    Her aunt!! How cool. I thought her first name was pronounced correctly but did wonder how she might prefer her last name said. I know a couple of people here who are English speaking with that last name and they always seemed to pronounces as Shar-tran. Since one of those was a lacrosse player, I just called him Charts!
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Thank you, Connolly22!