Page 23 of 51 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aka_gerbil View Post
    I don't think they're going to win either one. I do think they'll skate well enough that they should win both though. My interpretation of the LFP article was that it was preparing people so they'll accept the fact that it's not happening by the time worlds gets here.
    I felt the same way reading the article, I just didn't want to say it out loud. It felt like they're trying to prepare people for their inevitable loss. And no, it's not just that I'm panicking (I've already made my peace with it) I really think that is what will happen.

Rooting for the Underdogs
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayii View Post
    I felt the same way reading the article, I just didn't want to say it out loud. It felt like they're trying to prepare people for their inevitable loss. And no, it's not just that I'm panicking (I've already made my peace with it) I really think that is what will happen.
    I'm not panicking either. I am mad and upset though. Pre-determined results are not fun or fair.

vCash
    sucks.

YEAH!
    vCash
    I don't think they're going to win either one. I do think they'll skate well enough that they should win both though. My interpretation of the LFP article was that it was preparing people so they'll accept the fact that it's not happening by the time worlds gets here.
    But who is preparing people? The newspaper? It doesn't have any quotes from Tessa, Scott, or Marina saying they are not ready. It's just an opinion piece. I will note two things from the article...

First off, the home ice fairy tale doesn’t happen very often.

Only three times in history have Canadians won the worlds in their native land. Kurt Browning did it in Halifax in 1990 while pairs Jamie Sale and David Pelletier (2001 in Vancouver) and Barb Underhill and Paul Martini came through in 1984 at Ottawa.

And how many times did Canadians win the Olympics in their home country? I can think of one.

Winning the title where you grew up is incredibly rare. Just ask Roman Kostomorov, a Russian ice dancer who, with partner Tatiana Navka, pulled off the feat in Moscow in 2005.

It helps that they were the reigning World Champions in ice dance.

I actually feel pretty positive about Worlds. Not sure about 4CC. If there as an assumption out there that V&M will win Worlds, then the other events may be given away as consolation prizes. And it wouldn't surprise me at all if that is Marina's endgame. I can just see her going around at GPF telling the judges that Tessa and Scott are still getting ready, but oh, look how wonderful D&W are skating! And then to turn right around at Worlds and tell them look how beatifully V&M's programs came along, don't they look great? It is her job to keep two sides happy.

vCash
    I'd love to be a fly on the wall behind the scenes at 4ccs and Worlds to hear what Marina is saying to judges, tech callers etc. I wouldn't be surprised if she's politicking more for Davis and White these days.

vCash

Virtue/Moir #24: We Like it Hot

Saying Canadian skaters have only ever won Worlds on home soil 3 times in history, is not completely informative. There have been 60 World championships since 1952. Seven of those were held in Canada. That would be 3/7 = 43% success rate. If V/M win in London, that would rise to 4/8 = 50%

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    But who is preparing people? The newspaper? It doesn't have any quotes from Tessa, Scott, or Marina saying they are not ready. It's just an opinion piece. I will note two things from the article...
    True that it doesn't have any quotes, but this is V/M's hometown/home area newspaper and a journalist who has interviewed them many times before. Even without quotes, it doesn't mean that he hasn't been tipped off to put the idea out there for the hometown not to expect a win.

I actually feel pretty positive about Worlds. Not sure about 4CC. If there as an assumption out there that V&M will win Worlds, then the other events may be given away as consolation prizes. And it wouldn't surprise me at all if that is Marina's endgame. I can just see her going around at GPF telling the judges that Tessa and Scott are still getting ready, but oh, look how wonderful D&W are skating! And then to turn right around at Worlds and tell them look how beatifully V&M's programs came along, don't they look great? It is her job to keep two sides happy.
    This isn't little league soccer though. It's elite-level figure skating. Consolation prizes should not be handed out to D/W because people assume V/M will win worlds. V/M are the better team and the better team should win, end of story.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafter View Post
    I'd love to be a fly on the wall behind the scenes at 4ccs and Worlds to hear what Marina is saying to judges, tech callers etc. I wouldn't be surprised if she's politicking more for Davis and White these days.
    I wouldn't be surprised either.

Banned Member
    forever wishing i had access to the crack TAT smoked when she said D/W should've won 2012 worlds ;)
    vCash
    i wouldnt be surprised if the whole thing was rigged in d/w's favour

pictures from practice: http://photography.ice-dance.com/201...-VM-RR.jpg.php

vCash
    i think the article is an improvement from the nationals promo articles. it actually talks about how complicated the program is and how interesting and difficult it would be for v/m to win. legit hype, imo.

eta: and when v/m win worlds, d/w fans will start complaining about home ice advantage (actually, they already are) so we can bring up this article to point out that even v/m's hometown paper didn't think that a win would come easily. in fact, it is actually the hardest worlds to win and will be v/m's greatest achievement, short of winning olympics in vancouver and defending their olympic title.
    Last edited by iggie; 02-07-2013 at 02:27 AM.

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    I actually don't think there's anything sinister about the article, just a writer who neglected to check one fact .. number of world championships won by each couple. And even though he's a hometown writer, it doesn't mean that he's up to date on V&M and knowledgeable about figure skating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iggie View Post
    i think the article is an improvement from the nationals promo articles. it actually talks about how complicated the program is and how interesting and difficult it would be for v/m to win. legit hype, imo.

eta: and when v/m win worlds, d/w fans will start complaining about home ice advantage (actually, they already are) so we can bring up this article to point out that even v/m's hometown paper didn't think that a win would come easily. in fact, it is actually the hardest worlds to win and will be v/m's greatest achievement, short of winning olympics in vancouver and defending their olympic title
    Of course, we're already complaining that London is rigged to get D/W win.

YEAH!
    vCash
    Caitlin Yankowskas was asked the first word that comes to mind when she hears these names:

Marina Zoueva - Intimidating
    Tessa Virtue - Phenomenal
    Scott Moir - Tenacious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tyrar...ilpage#t=2576s (links to the V&M part... the Marina one is a little before)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbowkisses View Post
    LOL! Just looking at the thumbnails, one would think the Canadian teams are in uniform. Thanks for the link.

ETA: Oh, C/B are in the same uniform.

vCash
    i wouldnt be surprised if the whole thing was rigged in d/w's favour

pictures from practice: http://photography.ice-dance.com/201...-VM-RR.jpg.php
    Is it just me or do they both look slimmer (particularly Tessa)?

vCash
    Now that you mention it, Tessa does look slimmer.

Banned Member
    forever wishing i had access to the crack TAT smoked when she said D/W should've won 2012 worlds ;)
    vCash
    Now that you mention it, Tessa does look slimmer.
    i hope she's not making herself sick

vCash
    it could be the angle and the outfits, or that they're trying to get their weights down again in preparation for next year's olympics.

vCash
    i hope she's not making herself sick
    Whoa! She looks perfectly healthy, you guys.

I can't believe some of you are actually giving up and saying outright they will not win. Remember who you're talking about. So much pessimism around here

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Golightly View Post
    Whoa! She looks perfectly healthy, you guys.

I can't believe some of you are actually giving up and saying outright they will not win. Remember who you're talking about. So much pessimism around here
    I'm not saying she doesn't look healthy, I'm just saying she looks slimmer, even from just three weeks ago (look at her chest area). And about being pessimistic you're probably right, but that's how I feel and it's not about Tessa and Scott. I have no doubt they are gonna give it their all and lay everything on the ice, but not sure that will be enough.

ETA: I'm sorry. I can see you're replying to the post about her making herself sick. I very strongly disagree with that statement too.
    Last edited by Shayii; 02-07-2013 at 05:43 AM.

vCash
    I think they have the SD exactly where they want it, and have spent the last month concentrating on the FD. I have great expectations, for me they are winners no matter what. M/C are spectacular skaters , imo, but seem to recycle programmes to different music.

Page 23 of 51 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast