Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash

an open letter to skating event sponsors

(anyone watching Canadians will I'm sure know what sponsor in particular I'm talking about ...)

First of all, thank you. Figure skating is not an underdog sport by any means, but it still needs the support of the corporate community to survive. I'm sure I'm not out of line in speaking for the wider figure skating fandom (who, of course, are also consumers) in saying that your sponsorship is greatly appreciated and valued.

But you risk losing any good will when you insist on your centre-ice logo being big enough to be seen from space.

Here's a good rule: if it takes a skater more than one second to skate across your logo ... it's too big. Or, if a pairs team can easily fit inside your logo while doing side-by-side camel spins ... it's too big.

Figure skating is a beautiful sport. Please, let's keep it that way.

Artemis, in Vancouver BC

vCash
    Just too glad they are willing to sponsor this event, which is so important to me. I don't care if they paper the walls as long as I get to see my skating. In fact I plan to send them an appreciative email.

vCash
    At the end of the day the event organisers are getting sponsorship which in this day and age is blessing. The sport is lucky to have them. I know if we had anyone in Australia offer anything to support our sport they can do whatever they like.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    (anyone watching Canadians will I'm sure know what sponsor in particular I'm talking about ...)

First of all, thank you. Figure skating is not an underdog sport by any means, but it still needs the support of the corporate community to survive. I'm sure I'm not out of line in speaking for the wider figure skating fandom (who, of course, are also consumers) in saying that your sponsorship is greatly appreciated and valued.

But you risk losing any good will when you insist on your centre-ice logo being big enough to be seen from space.

Here's a good rule: if it takes a skater more than one second to skate across your logo ... it's too big. Or, if a pairs team can easily fit inside your logo while doing side-by-side camel spins ... it's too big.

Figure skating is a beautiful sport. Please, let's keep it that way.

Artemis, in Vancouver BC
    I'm with you on this one. I was there and the logo was beyond huge! Yes I'm glad that the sponsorship was there but it really felt over-the-top.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    The logo would be a lot more legible and a lot less distracting if they did a version with black outline and type on a white background. Watching the streaming version, I would have had no idea who they were if they hadn't been announced as a sponsor.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    The logo would be a lot more legible and a lot less distracting if they did a version with black outline and type on a white background.

But that's not their logo or brand, so what would be the point?

Although I found the logo large and distracting, I'm just thrilled Skate Canada finally found a major title sponsor that signed a multi-year contract.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Habs View Post
    ... I'm just thrilled Skate Canada finally found a major title sponsor that signed a multi-year contract.
    Yes, it's hard not to like them for that. And I'm certainly not going to launch any boycotts or something ridiculous like that.

Plus they're a really appropriate sponsor: I got my first new skates from them (not counting hand-me-downs).

But I do think there's a problem when the logo actually interferes with the skating. There were a couple of skaters wearing red costumes who actually got lost in the logo. Not good.

vCash
    I honestly didn't notice a thing while watching Kevin Reynolds skate, as well as M-T/M just now.

Too much crying & whining around, just be lucky they got a sponsor.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Habs View Post

But that's not their logo or brand, so what would be the point?
    I have a friend who makes a living adapting logos for companies, and he's made alternate logos for businesses.

For one thing, I found the logo unreadable, just a big red triangle in the middle of the ice, and one advantage to having an alternative one for the ice is that it would be readable.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post

But I do think there's a problem when the logo actually interferes with the skating. There were a couple of skaters wearing red costumes who actually got lost in the logo. Not good.
    Not to mention that every skater who skated across the logo - i.e. all of them - got a weird ghostly red hue on their skin as they were passing through.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    I have a friend who makes a living adapting logos for companies, and he's made alternate logos for businesses.

For one thing, I found the logo unreadable, just a big red triangle in the middle of the ice, and one advantage to having an alternative one for the ice is that it would be readable.
    I also found it hard to read... which made me actually try to read it. So I probably paid more attention to that logo than I would have otherwise. I guess that's a win for Canadian Tire.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash

vCash
    I thought it was a strawberry.

vCash
    My husband watched several skaters with me last night and even after the HUGE logo and all the Canadian tire ads, he was like when I mentioned Canadian tire were sponsoring the event!!!
    Sigh.....

vCash
    It's a very well known logo and I would have thought easily recognizable in Canada. It's also prominently displayed in the K&C, center stage. It certainly was hard to miss but as far as actually remembering who sponsored this event it's probably the first time I can answer the question quickly so I'd say Canadian Tire should be happy and Skate Canada got some money.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Skating has such a time finding corporate sponsors these days that I'm always thankful when a company agrees to be a sponsor. I also try to either go to the company's website and use any "contact us" links or find the company on twitter/facebook to give them positive feedback and let them know I appreciate their support. It can never hurt to let a company know their marketing efforts are working!
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by just tuned in View Post
    I thought it was a strawberry.
    No, no, strawberries were for the whole Smuckers/US Nats thing in 2009. They handed out these squishy strawberry thingies. . . I still have mine somewhere. . .
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Looks like you're going to see a lot more of that big red triangle - Canadian Tire goes nuts with new sports sponsorships, including an 8-year Olys deal.

vCash
    I do try to support skating sponsors. I got a BMO credit card way back when (don't have an account--I never saw a good reason to get a savings/chequing account at a Big 5 Bank when I get a free savings/chequing account at my local credit union). And I recently got a new car batter at Canadian Tire. I have no idea what to buy at that bracelet store.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    I have no idea what to buy at that bracelet store.
    You can buy me a bracelet
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast