Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    She's a figure skater. She's used to being scantily dressed in the cold.
    True. She just looked too summery to be in winter.
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    The Old man with Danny in one of the pictures is he Danny's father. I just came across this piece of information about Danny's father that I never had seen before:

Danny Kwan's father, Ho-Yuen, was sold by his family to a wealthier man, when such deals were the salvation of poor families in China. Ho-Yuen Kwan was 5 when he was bought to stand guard over one of his owner's cows. Several years later a rich uncle bought Ho-Yuen Kwan back and returned him to his family.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    ^^

You make a good point os128. That's why I asked how old Michelle's parents were when they first came here. Did they meet here or did they meet in Hong Kong, marry and then come here before their children were born? I don't recall. Even though her parents weren't born here, they most certainly became citizens a long time ago, so are obviously first generation in this country if not born here. I'm not familiar with how terminology is used in these instances.

Danny was born in China and grew up in Hong Kong, where he met Estella when they attended the same grade school. The two met again at a school reunion and after marrying moved to Los Angeles in 1971.

vCash
    Another gorgeous picture, along with an article, released by People Magazine:

http://www.people.com/people/article...666804,00.html

vCash
    Oooh, thanks for that new article! Lots of wonderful details about the dress. Gorgeous picture, too. With so much light in the picture, I wonder whether it was taken the following day?

Also, thanks for the information on Michelle's parents, Iceman. Wow, the same grade school. Danny and Estella have known each other for a very long time. Or, I guess there was a bit of a break in their association before they met again at the school reunion. So, they were probably fairly young when they left Hong Kong and moved to the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    This big time!! I also got those feelings looking at the pictures over the weekend. Michelle really did look like she was about either explode or float a few feet off the ground she was so happy.

Wonderful to see.

BTW...Anyone know what the two decorations Clay has and was wearing on his Uniform?
    ITA! Her joyful expressions on her very special day remind me how Michelle has always seemed to be so in touch with her emotions and very unafraid to express and share them.

Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    As you're facing him the one on the right is the National Defense Service medal. All US military get it just for serving. The one on the left is a Commendation medal. It's usually given to someone when they leave assignments early in their career if they've done a good job. You can get it for a single act but that's unusual.
    Thanks for pointing that out in response to AragonElessar's query. Possibly then the Commendation could have been presented to Clay for his military service as a JAG.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 01-22-2013 at 01:58 AM.

vCash
    Was Lori invited?

I'm not going to get into specifics, but it's certainly frozen over.
    vCash
    The Ice Theater of New York has some photos up on their facebook page, including one of Michelle's reception dress:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/IceTheatreOfNewYork

vCash
    I've been off-line since shortly after the Kwan-Pell wedding on Saturday, so I will add some belated thank yous for all the links, especially for the photos.

kwanette, thank you for that link -- so many photos with a lot of the other people in the wedding party!

Quote Originally Posted by samiller View Post
    Another gorgeous picture, along with an article, released by People Magazine:

http://www.people.com/people/article...666804,00.html
    What a wonderful photo of Michelle and Clay! And a great view of the dress, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Impromptu View Post
    The Ice Theater of New York has some photos up on their facebook page, including one of Michelle's reception dress:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/IceTheatreOfNewYork
    That's quite a different look from her very sleek wedding gown -- all lacy and girly, but I think I like it. Michelle has her hair pulled back into a pony tail -- all the better for dancing!
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    That's quite a different look from her very sleek wedding gown -- all lacy and girly, but I think I like it. Michelle has her hair pulled back into a pony tail -- all the better for dancing!
    What a cute and fun dress! So different from the wedding gown, yet somehow related and equally special.

Unrelated and probably unimportant, but is Clay's hat too big for his head? On almost every pic, it seems to flop forward and cover too much of his face.
    Last edited by FunnyBut; 01-22-2013 at 07:25 PM.

vCash
    Is the woman between dick and michelle in one of the pics, Dick's wife? Has anyone posted a pic of the red dress?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Is the woman between dick and michelle in one of the pics, Dick's wife? Has anyone posted a pic of the red dress?
    Um .... Dick Button is definitely not married (and hasn't been since his divorce from Slavka Kohout nearly 30 years ago)

No sign of the red dress yet, but perhaps it will turn up in the People magazine article on Friday or elsewhere.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FunnyBut View Post

Unrelated and probably unimportant, but is Clay's hat too big for his head? On almost every pic, it seems to flop forward and cover too much of his face.
    I'm pretty sure Clay's hat is fit for his head. Obviously, that's the way it's supposed to be worn. He looks mighty fine to me. Michelle and Clay are truly a special couple.

Thanks all for the additional photos. I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures, especially of the entire wedding party and the red dress.

vCash
    Congrats to the happy couple!

vCash
    Wow! I am certainly very happily surprised at the news! I didn't expect the wedding to take place so soon after the engagement, BUT I am not at all surprised that it happened in a low-key way. What can I say that hasn't already been said in this thread? "Congratulations" doesn't seem like quite enough after having watched this lovely young woman grow up from a skating phenom to a champion to a college and graduate school graduate to a politico to a newlywed. I am beyond thrilled! Michelle looks so happy, and so does Clay. I wish this couple nothing but happiness in the future.

Thanks, everyone, for hunting down all the great stories and photos

O-

vCash
    I just wish that she had surprised us all by having her wedding dress made by someone else than Wang. Just to throw everyone off.
    But it's a lovely gown and she looks good in it.

One of the junior officers at the base where I work mentioned the wedding this morning at the brief. I wanted to snark "I just hope she can live on a lieutenant's pay", but thought it best kept to myself.

Michelle, my Pell

Quadless
    vCash
    Oh, Rex. It's good to see that your form has not suffered from your absence.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    It's bitterly cold on the East Coast today, so Michelle and Clay picked the perfect day in January to get marry.

vCash
    Rex in form fine or otherwise, indeed!

Hi there Rex, Happy New Year! How magnanimous of you to drop in to the celebration.

I doubt MK was interested in "throwing anyone off," re who was going to design her wedding gown. Obviously she was more interested in "throwing everyone off" re the scheduled wedding date. It was pretty much known and confirmed that Vera would be doing the designing, as soon as Michelle's engagement was announced. Vera designed skating costumes for Michelle throughout her skating career, and as Michelle said, "Vera knows my body and my lines really well." Pell, for the course Vera, Bravo!

http://stylenews.peoplestylewatch.co...-wedding-gown/

BTW, Rex, keeping your inane "snark" to yourself in the briefing room was surely a good idea. Probably ditto for this thread too, but what the heck. Anyway, did you think your clever yet idiotic observation might advance the cause of increasing pay for lieutenants in the military? You might be better off organizing a Lieutenants United for Better Pay group, and lobbying Congress, or Mrs Obama and Dr. Jill Biden.

In regard to Clay in particular, since he doesn't really need to work for money, that's even more reason to admire him for serving as a coast guard lieutenant and working on the National Security Council staff at the White House.

Michelle, Ma Belle Pell! Oh yes, indeed it does rhyme, beautifully.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 01-23-2013 at 01:37 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    I really like that dress. It's a nice change from the basic strapless, mermaid grown that a majority of brides seem to choose now days. Love the ponytail, too. Michelle would have rocked an elegant up-do for the ceremony, but her long look was pretty, too.
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    :
    BTW, Rex, keeping your inane "snark" to yourself in the briefing room was surely a good idea. Probably ditto for this thread too, but what the heck. Anyway, did you think your clever yet idiotic observation might advance the cause of increasing pay for lieutenants in the military? You might be better off organizing a Lieutenants United for Better Pay group, and lobbying Congress, or Mrs Obama and Dr. Jill Biden.
    Is this really necessary?
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast