Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    Anyways love these pix... she is 2nd generation Asian American, and I just can't help but feels very pleased for her parents. This is the ultimate American Dream wedding any immigrant would dream for their daughter. Even got that amazing 'An Officer and a gentleman feeling to it'. Totally classy, to a first class lady and gent! Beautiful people inside and out!
    Not to quibble but Michelle is a 1st generation American. Her parents weren't born in the US.

vCash
    ^^ Yes, a slip of the finger perhaps. I didn't notice that mistake, but right you are. Maybe os128 is thinking about his/ her own family? In any case, with Michelle being a 1st generation Asian American, that probably makes her parents doubly proud witnessing all of their children's accomplishments, and especially now the marriage of their youngest daughter.

BTW, how old were Michelle's parents when they first came to the U.S.?

Michelle and Clay probably didn't have time in their schedule to attend the Inauguration today.

ETA:
    Maybe MK is indeed considered second generation Asian-American despite her parents not being born in the U.S.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 01-21-2013 at 08:44 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    Not to quibble but Michelle is a 1st generation American. Her parents weren't born in the US.
    Yes but that is what i meant. That is what i meant by 2nd generation Asian American, because her parent would be 1st generation to settle in the states (which would still make them American - by choice), and that makes her 2nd generation Asian American. Her story is very much of the American dream.

Not dissimilar to many successful Asian American athletes like Jeremy Lin for example, or Patrick of Canada. Who's dreams won't be possible unless they are in the right place at the right time, meet the right people, worked incredibly hard, and really flew with the chances they were given with the incredible talent they have got given with the full encouragement and support by their parents.
    Last edited by os168; 01-21-2013 at 08:16 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    I wonder what the weather was like that day, since Michelle was outside in a strapless dress with no cover-up. Maybe LOVE kept her warm!
    It was actually unseasonably warm this past weekend in RI. In the 50s, but windy.

vCash
    Wow - just looking at picture 7 in that gallery of photos. She's really rocking some heels! I have terrible feet and can't wear heels.

vCash
    Were any of her skating contemporaries (skaters she competed with) invited?

vCash
    ^^ I don't think we know yet. Some have suggested that perhaps Frank C and Irina S were invited with the expectation that they wouldn't be able to make it. I thought that Kristi Y and Peggy F would have been invited. Perhaps they were, but also couldn't be there. Don't know if perhaps Evan was invited. We heard that Grant Hochstein was invited because he tweeted that he was but he couldn't make it because of Nationals (others suggested Caroline Zhang was likely invited too and couldn't appear for the same reason).

You make a good point os128. That's why I asked how old Michelle's parents were when they first came here. Did they meet here or did they meet in Hong Kong, marry and then come here before their children were born? I don't recall. Even though her parents weren't born here, they most certainly became citizens a long time ago, so are obviously first generation in this country if not born here. I'm not familiar with how terminology is used in these instances.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Not only MK is used to wear little in the cold but also there is a lot of adrenaline to keep you warm. I bet she didn't even notice the cold. Love the detailing on the dress. Beautiful.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonfan View Post
    Wow - just looking at picture 7 in that gallery of photos. She's really rocking some heels! I have terrible feet and can't wear heels.
    I thought she was wearing fairly high heels since she is much shorter than Clay, but doesn't appear to be as they're standing together outside the church.

The "Too Fab" site that all_empty linked allows scrolling over the dress, veil and shoes to "get the look." MK's shoes "get the look" reference is Nina Jacalyn High Heels (don't know if it's meant to be exactly what she's wearing or something similar). Karen's dress "get the look" reference is a Badgley Mischka One-Shoulder.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 01-21-2013 at 09:15 PM.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Those are serious heels. And she will be able to wear them after the wedding as they are not white. They are awesome. MK has great taste, always had.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Clay must be quite a bit taller than I had thought -- look at the the heels on these sparklies:
    http://www.purepeople.com/article/mi...es_a113932/5#7

Great advertising for Vera Wang -- that dress is just beautiful on her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Not only MK is used to wear little in the cold but also there is a lot of adrenaline to keep you warm. I bet she didn't even notice the cold. Love the detailing on the dress. Beautiful.
    Yep. And the weight and layers of a wedding gown make it warm, plus you are moving around the entire time at your reception. I am always, always cold, and I remember being at our reception venue in jeans and a tank top thinking their ice cold air conditioning would make me freeze in my sleeveless gown. But I was not cold at all.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    The veil is also surprisingly protective, thin as it is. But mostly adrenaline.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    Yep. And the weight and layers of a wedding gown make it warm, plus you are moving around the entire time at your reception. I am always, always cold, and I remember being at our reception venue in jeans and a tank top thinking their ice cold air conditioning would make me freeze in my sleeveless gown. But I was not cold at all.
    Awww, your heart was so warm it must have kept you warm all over. Plus as you say the dress layers, the adrenaline, the emotion.

vCash
    Just going off of first impressions and all, but now that I've had a closer look at him, MK's hubby looks like a nice guy. Really nice - the kind that would let his wife 'push' him around simply because he's so good-natured and loves her so much.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Yes, I formed the impression of a laid back, calm, nice person when I looked at Clay.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    My reactions to seeing all the photos was that Michelle was so full of joy she was about to explode out of her own skin. How many of us have ever felt that level of joy? I envy that in a way. She's got such a giddy smile on her face in almost every picture it's hilarious and also touchingly sweet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mrinalini View Post
    Just going off of first impressions and all, but now that I've had a closer look at him, MK's hubby looks like a nice guy. Really nice - the kind that would let his wife 'push' him around simply because he's so good-natured and loves her so much.
    ^^ I could tell Clay seems very kind the more that I've seen, read and heard about him. He definitely looks to be good-natured and very much in love with Kween. Of course never having met Clay, I'm going off all that I've seen, read and heard about him and seen him quoted as saying, in addition to the generosity and caring that seems to run in his family. First off, you can tell he's brilliant from reading about his stellar accomplishments.* And then tough and smart from his Coast Guard training, his education, and his experience as a JAG. He's also taught courses on human rights and military justice. The fact he's a member of the White House National Security Council, and formerly worked for two international law firms, the CIA and the State Department speaks volumes.

Clay is fluent in English, Spanish, Chinese and Arabic. He studied law in China and in Argentina, and he led a "national campaign to increase funding for inexpensive, life-saving medicines for children under five." His family has a long tradition of public service and support of humanitarian causes. Clay most definitely has lived up to the family tradition and then some, but in a way that seems to have been quietly confident and under the radar, while no less amazingly accomplished. It's not easy to live up to the excellence of one's forebears. Clay so far seems well on his way to matching and maybe surpassing his grandfather's achievements. Well, Clay probably wouldn't look at it that way -- his Gramps was truly remarkable. But with Michelle at Clay's side, the sky is the limit!

Indeed the fact that Michelle and Clay hit it off the moment they met also speaks volumes about his character and his personality. He does indeed seem very low key and exceptionally good-hearted. However, rather than allowing himself to be "pushed around," by a loving wife, I think Clay is someone who isn't pushed around by anyone, but would be willing to walk through fire for his country, his family, his fellow human beings, and especially for the woman he loves. I don't think MK is gonna be the "pushing around" type of wife in any case. Kween and Clay will likely be stepping right in tune with each other to advocate for, work on behalf of and "push for" a variety of humanitarian, patriotic, and international goodwill projects, in addition to starting a family (maybe after a year or two of marriage?).

http://www.whitehouse.gov/about/fellows/2011-2012 *Scroll down
    Last edited by aftershocks; 01-21-2013 at 10:42 PM.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by centerstage01 View Post
    My reactions to seeing all the photos was that Michelle was so full of joy she was about to explode out of her own skin. How many of us have ever felt that level of joy? I envy that in a way. She's got such a giddy smile on her face in almost every picture it's hilarious and also touchingly sweet.
    This big time!! I also got those feelings looking at the pictures over the weekend. Michelle really did look like she was about either explode or float a few feet off the ground she was so happy.

Wonderful to see.

BTW...Anyone know what the two decorations Clay has and was wearing on his Uniform?

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    BTW...Anyone know what the two decorations Clay has and was wearing on his Uniform?
    As you're facing him the one on the right is the National Defense Service medal. All US military get it just for serving. The one on the left is a Commendation medal. It's usually given to someone when they leave assignments early in their career if they've done a good job. You can get it for a single act but that's unusual.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast