Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast
    vCash
    ^^ Thanks for sharing that, Anita18. Yes, it's clear from quotes by Clay in the linked NYT article (with the photo of young Clay sitting next to his grandfather), that Clay and his family are not only proud of Senator Pell's accomplishments, but are also eager to see that the important contributions Senator Pell made to the lives of so many Americans continue to exist and to thrive in the most beneficial way to fruitfully impact people in need.

BTW, I'd love to know what Clay's voice sounds like! So far, there's nothing about him specifically on Youtube, such as a policy speech, or a Coast Guard training demo. But he does work for the National Security Council and likely prefers keeping a low-profile, which has been blown of course by his marriage to the Kween. But OTOH, I'm sure he doesn't mind at all, and likely enjoys being her Prince. He is certainly more than well-suited, and they're both well-matched.

vCash
    If you would like to hear Clay's voice, check out this November 2012 video of Clay and Michelle together in Rhode Island. Clay participated in the annual Pell Bridge Run. Michelle was there to cheer him on.

http://www2.turnto10.com/news/2012/n...3179-vi-47293/

vCash
    ^^ Awww, they're so sweet together. Clay sounds like a kind, sensitive intellectual (there was a lot of emotion in his voice as he spoke about going on runs/ "shuffles" with his grandfather). But clearly he has steel in there somewhere too with all that he's accomplished in his life, particularly in the Coast Guard, as a JAG, and now with the National Security Council

Thanks, samiller! How did you find that one, btw?

I found the below clip on youtube -- a report on the wedding with still photos. Nothing new, but the synthetic voice-over narrator is hi-larious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...XFH5DyqR4&NR=1
    Last edited by aftershocks; 02-19-2013 at 06:52 AM.

vCash
    I actually found that clip because I have a dear friend who lives in Providence who is aware of the fact that Michelle is one of my favorite people in the world. I posted it on the MKF in November of 2012 (I was "teach23" over on that site).

Also, I am a retired high school teacher, and I have so much gratitude to Clay and his family for all the Pell Grants that my students received during that time. Imagine my surprise when I learned that Clay and Michelle were dating!! Awesome pairing--Michelle's expression at the end of the video is priceless.

vCash
    ^^ Oh, that's so wonderful, samiller. So cool of your friend, and wonderful of you to share the clip on the MKF -- I should probably frequent there more often. I must also say thank you, thank you for all you have done too as a teacher. A very great, important and noble profession.

Ahhh, yes! You caught Michelle's expression at the end of the clip too, when Clay looks at her so lovingly and says, "It's a community here and that's what's nice about coming home, and [pauses as he looks at MK] having Michelle come back ..." He obviously meant, "having Michelle come back with me."

Here's another great quote from Senator Claiborne Pell:

The strength of the United States is not the gold in Fort Knox or the weapons of mass destruction we have, but the sum total of the education and the character of our people.

ETA:
    Another interesting link it seems my interest is endless:

http://thegildedageera.blogspot.com/...nd-eileen.html Scroll down

^^ About Clay's grandmother, Nuala O'Donnell Pell, and Newport's Old Guard

The same website has a lovely formal portrait of Clay's young grandparents, Nuala Pell and Senator Pell, in their Washington, D.C. home. The caption points out that they were two of the first Newport Democrats:

http://goldennewport.blogspot.com/20...e-cottage.html Scroll down
    Last edited by aftershocks; 02-19-2013 at 07:09 AM.

vCash

Unhappy

I loved teaching, and I actually miss it, but it's time for the young ones to take the reins. Thanks for your expressed appreciation of teachers. Senator C. Pell was a brilliant man who had a strong sense of community. I admire the fact that Clay is following in his footsteps. I believe that Michelle sees the absolute best in her husband.

I frequent the MFK site, but have been having so much trouble--I can log on, but cannot post nor reply to posts since Jan. 19th. I even registered again (with a new username and password--- and still cannot post messages or reply to messages.) Hopefully, I'll be able to post again there one day. I have quite a bit of information (not yet about the wedding) that I want to share.

vCash
    ^^ Oh, thanks again samiller. Sorry you are having trouble posting over on MKF. What is the more that you have to share, I wonder?

Some bonus People pics that must have appeared in the magazine? Or online? I saw these posted on MKF! In the one with Danny Kwan walking Kween down the aisle, you can see she is so emotional.

http://s1279.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=6
    Such a great description of Danny "giving" Michelle to Clay

http://s1279.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=3

http://s1279.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=2

http://s1279.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=1

http://s1279.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=0

The first (down the aisle with Dad) and the last (Clay hugging Michelle, entitled First Dance) are the most special. Has anyone else seen these before? I hadn't!
    Last edited by aftershocks; 02-19-2013 at 08:06 AM.

vCash
    Yes, those beautiful pictures are from People Magazine's digital edition which is available, at cost, online. People Magazine really had the edge when it came to the wedding. Most information/articles/pictures came from People Mag. They just released them at different times. I wish that other magazines/individuals had more information to share. There were some tweets from some of the guests which were brief, but interesting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by samiller View Post
    If you would like to hear Clay's voice, check out this November 2012 video of Clay and Michelle together in Rhode Island. Clay participated in the annual Pell Bridge Run. Michelle was there to cheer him on.

http://www2.turnto10.com/news/2012/n...3179-vi-47293/
    I wonder why Michelle didn't run. Maybe she felt like she was too competitive and would have to train for the race and try to win.

Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks
    Another interesting link it seems my interest is endless:

http://thegildedageera.blogspot.com/...nd-eileen.html Scroll down

^^ About Clay's grandmother, Nuala O'Donnell Pell, and Newport's Old Guard
    Clay looks quite a bit like his grandfather in 1960!

vCash
    ^^
    Yeah, Mathman, Clay does resemble his grandfather Pell a slight bit I think. However, you re-posted the link to the Newport feature on his widowed grandmother, Nuala. Here's the link to the young picture of his Pell grandparents posing in their Washington, D.C. home:

http://goldennewport.blogspot.com/20...e-cottage.html Scroll down

I also think Clay takes a bit after his grandmother, Nuala, and his mother, Eugenia, called Genii (see her in the Facebook group photo taken at the wedding rehearsal dinner posted by samiller, as I recall, a page ago).

Quote Originally Posted by samiller View Post
    Yes, those beautiful pictures are from People Magazine's digital edition which is available, at cost, online. People Magazine really had the edge when it came to the wedding. Most information/articles/pictures came from People Mag. They just released them at different times. I wish that other magazines/individuals had more information to share. There were some tweets from some of the guests which were brief, but interesting.
    Thanks, samiller. If I hadn't found the links on MKF, I would probably never have seen those pics since they didn't appear in the magazine version of People (I thought maybe I missed them in the magazine since I just flipped through it briefly when I was out shopping). I wonder why People decided to provide the coverage in bits and pieces, and then to offer some content online that had to be paid for? I don't understand, and I guess we'll never see MK in the red dress. Although, interestingly, MKF has a thread that contains rarely seen/ not well known pics of Michelle (some taken by fans over the years). So, MKF remains an excellent Michelle Kwan resource, and more wedding pics/ details might appear there at some point.

The picture of Danny walking Michelle down the aisle is priceless!
    http://s1279.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=6

And, Clay's reflections (in the side caption) about those very special moments, as usual, are so touching and eloquent:

After Danny Kwan ... lifted his daughter's veil, "she was beaming but was full of tears," says groom Clay Pell. [Danny] "took my hand and handed it to Michelle's. To shake his hand first - and we shared a little hug - that meant a lot to me. I respect him so much."
    "... beaming but full of tears ..." A very apt description of the expression on Michelle's face. By the time Clay and Michelle walked out of the church together and stood for a few moments before the Saber Arch, Michelle looked as if she was about to burst with joy. What a happy and blessed occasion.

BTW, someone asked earlier about the identities of the bridesmaids -- one is Clay's sister, Christina (she's also in the group photo taken at the rehearsal dinner).

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Can I just say that picture of the rings being "flown" in by that toy Coast Guard rescue helicopter is such a perfect idea for someone who is in the CG and has such a Family History w/the CG. Too perfect and love it!!!

vCash
    ^^ Yeah, in the accompanying caption, Clay is quoted as saying that it didn't quite come off as exactly planned, but that it was a funny moment.

I have fond memories of being a bridesmaid at a friend's wedding years ago. It was a memorable occasion and a lovely, out of the ordinary wedding ceremony. I wonder if there's ever been an OTBT thread on FSU about wedding snafus and funny, poignant and joyful remembrances.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    I wonder if there's ever been an OTBT thread on FSU about wedding snafus and funny, poignant and joyful remembrances.
    Yes.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Some keys to MK’s success:

Having loving, supportive parents and family
    Finding meaning and purpose in doing what she loves
    Working hard, making sacrifices and staying the course
    Finding positives in her struggles and overcoming obstacles
    Spending quality time with her family and friends
    Being joyful and knowing how to laugh
    Having great mentors and being willing to learn
    Being tough when the going gets rough, but never losing her smile
    Recognizing her own human frailties with acceptance and impartiality
    Getting up when she falls down; continuing to try and giving it her all
    Taking each day as it comes and not getting ahead of herself
    Not indulging in excuses and refusing to blame others
    Resisting the urge to feel sorry for herself; not wallowing in negativity
    Bouncing back through determination and courage
    Having a caring heart and an open mind
    Staying in the moment and therefore seeing possibilities
    Being open to opportunities without an ax to grind
    Being patriotic and nonjudgmental
    Learning how to dream another dream
    Finding a new direction, with meaning and purpose
    Being thankful for her blessings and giving back …

Finding (being gifted with) lasting love and a magnetic bond

vCash
    What a wonderful post! I agree 100%. Thank you, aftershocks!

vCash
    aftershocks, I'm sure that all of the attributes you cited will figure prominently in Michelle's course during the years to come.

vCash

You missed one:

Having some of the best security in the skating world. Needed for obvious reasons.

vCash

Thank you for this beautiful and concise summary of those qualities that make Michelle so special and extraordinary, that make her an example of the finest that humanity has to offer.

vCash
    ^^ Yes, ITA, RickInSanJose, and thanks for your comments. I appreciate your thoughts also samiller, and skatesindreams. I’ve learned many lessons and I’ve been inspired by following MK’s career and seeing how she carries herself on and off the ice. None of us are perfect, of course, but Michelle is definitely a role model who possesses an extraordinary capacity to give and to receive love.

BTW, Norlite, I only included some keys to Michelle’s success that I have observed. There are surely others, but the ones I’ve mentioned have meaning and resonance for me. It seems as if Michelle might be sharing additional wisdom in regard to her life experiences in the speech she will be giving on March 6, at Southeast Missouri State University, as noted in the thread posted yesterday by Sylvia.

vCash
    right on with your entire post, aftershocks!

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast