Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Recovering from the Olys
    vCash

Evan Lysacek has officially withdrawn from 2013 US Nationals

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,5186383.story
    If the link doesn't work (ETA that I've since replaced the original link), here's Lysacek's official statement, issued today, in Hersh's article:
    “It’s disappointing because health-wise I’m fine (now),” Lysacek said in a statement. “Due to the long layoff from the [sports hernia] surgery, I still need about three more weeks to get back into competition form.

“The good news is I am finally healthy, back to a full training schedule and already working hard to be ready for next season to defend my Olympic title at the 2014 Olympics in Sochi.”
    USFS press release with his statement as quoted above: http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=48896&type=media
    Last edited by Sylvia; 01-18-2013 at 10:36 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I was naively holding out hope he would compete, just to see things in the men's event shake up more. But obviously no surprise, and the men's event should still be plenty interesting.

Link to the article: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,5186383.story
    Check out my figure skating blog out at:
    http://videoreplayartistry.blogspot.com/

Briber of judges
    vCash
    Color me... not surprised.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    LOL at even talking of defending his Olympic title at this point. Katarina Witt had more chance of her 3rd gold at the Lillehammer Olympics then at that happening.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    I'm shocked! Shocked, I tell you!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    LOL at even talking of defending his Olympic title at this point. Katarina Witt had more chance of her 3rd gold at the Lillehammer Olympics then at that happening.
    I have to agree with you here.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    I wish that people making comeback don't make any announcements beforehand. Just quietly train and then show up like Elaine Zayak in 94. As far as Evan for Sochi, Oh right... I believe it when I see it.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post

vCash
    I agree chances of Evan actually defending his title are mmm, easily rounded down to 0. But, it would be great if both him and Yu-Na were in Sochi since I can't even remember the last time both the men's and women's Olympic champions came back 4 years later. Name recognition would play well with casual Olympic fans, I think, even if in the end he could only realistically hope for a top 6 finish.
    Last edited by ioana; 01-18-2013 at 09:53 PM.

vCash
    No surprise.
    'Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.'--John Wayne

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    I have to agree with you here.
    i second that. what a mess. Honestly, I dont know whether to be more disappointed that we WONT get to see him compete or that he is pretending to be capable of defending his title.

Quadless
    vCash
    Not surprising but still disappointing. Oh well, we're lucky to have such a deep field of men, but having Evan there as well would definitely have added even more excitement.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

YEAH!
    vCash
    To be honest, I thought he had withdrawn months ago.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    I agree chances of Evan actually defending his title are mmm, easily rounded down to 0. But, it would be great if both him and Yu-Na were in Sochi since I can't even remember the last time both the men's and women's Olympic champions came back 4 years later. Name recognition would play well with casual Olympic fans, I think, even if in the end he could only realistically hope for a top 6 finish.
    Maybe the last time was 1936!

So there is still some interest in doing an all triple SP and LP in 2014? That would be so interesting!

vCash
    No Johnny or Evan...I hate to be unkind, but when the USFSA picks the World team, it will be like sending a Yugo to a Lexus convention...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    No Johnny or Evan...I hate to be unkind, but when the USFSA picks the World team, it will be like sending a Yugo to a Lexus convention...
    Johnny would be outclassed even if he somehow made the World team this year.

vCash
    Exactly. I am not sure how headcase Abbott, unproven Miner, or Dornbush will do at Worlds this year, but I am 100% sure whichever two go will have done better than Weir would have this year (20th place or so) not that Weir was ever making the World team this year anyway. I would hazard to guess the top U.S finisher at Worlds (7th place maybe although hopefully better than that) will have done atleast as well as Evan would have done at Worlds this year too. The U.S is unlikely to regain 3 spots sadly, but they were unlikely to do so with any team they would have sent this year. If Abbott skates his best at Worlds, and the 2nd U.S men had a great competition they would have a good shot to do it anyway, but that is unlikely to happen.

vCash
    Agreed about Johnny. Even if Lysacek had gone to worlds this year I don't think he would have managed anything above 5th place, U.S men's skating just isn't one of the top dogs anymore, the best men's medal contender USFS has at the moment is Abbott, but we all know how he usually does at worlds

vCash
    The sad thing is if Abbott skated cleanly at Worlds I am pretty sure he would win atleast the bronze. Takahashi, Chan, Hanyu, and Fernandez skating cleanly would all still beat him skating cleanly (well he might beat Fernandez due to higher PCS and GOE) but you know that group would make enough mistakes for him to medal. Will he ever put it all together at Worlds though, time is running out on him now.

vCash
    Evan and Johnny need to realize that their time has come and gone and just retire.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast