Thread: Artistic theme

vCash

Artistic theme

Hi Everyone,

Looking for ideas for an artistic program. I'm canadian, and looking to do my bronze artistic/interpretive. I'd like to do something either dramatic or comedic. I'm in my 30's, and would like something sophisticated, so cutesy's out. I don't have amazing lines (ie am not balletic), so i'd prefer something powerful or with a bit of acting. I know that I'd like to have a bollywood theme for my silver, and skate to schindler's list for my gold, but I'm out of ideas for the bronze. I feel like both tango and flamenco have been done to death, so I'd rather not.

Any help? It can either be a theme or music suggestion.

Thanks!

vCash
    Okay here is my old program catalogue of music.

Whatever Lolo Wants is a fun number. And there are a number of different versions of it to choose from. I used both the Gotan Project remix and also the version from the Kinky Boots soundtrack. Same program - just one competition had a shorter time length requirement so the Kinky Boots version fitted with that.

Also one I used years ago was Love Cats by the Cure.

And another fun one is Brian Ferry Let's Stick Together.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    And another fun one is Bryan Ferry Let's Stick Together.
    Did you wear a tiger-striped bodysuit and wave your tail around like Jerry Hall in the video?
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Did you wear a tiger-striped bodysuit and wave your tail around like Jerry Hall in the video?
    No I had a purple fake velvet jacket with bright pink furrrrr! I think I would have scared everyone trying to dress like Jerry.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Planning? No, no. Let's keep it suicidal.
    vCash
    I did an program a while back to Sibelius' violin concerto, dressed all in black and in goth make-up. It was actually lots of fun -well, for me . I originally wanted to be Snape, but it turned into a program with lots of crouching, lunges, pancake and broken leg spins...

Something with a good prop, like a swashbuckling program, or Star Wars with a light saber might also work well.

Someone at my rink did These boots are made for walkin' with cowboy boot covers and 60's hair -definitely one of the more memorable programs I've seen. And, I second Aussie's suggestion for Whatever Lola Wants. Kinky boots is such a good movie!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    I
    Someone at my rink did These boots are made for walkin' with cowboy boot covers and 60's hair -definitely one of the more memorable programs I've seen.
    I have to say, I don't think I've seen a single adult competition where someone *didn't* skate to These Boots Are Made for Walking. It's great music to skate to, but I think it's getting a little overused.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Planning? No, no. Let's keep it suicidal.
    vCash
    ^ Think you're right about that...If the theme itself sounds good, maybe something like My Baby Don't Lie would be better.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Big Spender.

vCash
    How about something from a musical? Wicked has cute music. Victor Victoria has some great music to skate to.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    Big Spender.
    IME that's #2 on the almost-overused list, right behind These Boots.

vCash
    At one time it was probably overdone, but not usually performed now so it would be "fresh" - Titanic/My Heart Will Go On? A costume would be easy as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGirlCanSkate View Post
    At one time it was probably overdone, but not usually performed now
    It's still pretty common among the adult skaters.

vCash
    I have always thought Coin Operated Boy would make a good skating program.

Another one from the AW program list
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYl0YYZjmcM

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    I have always thought Coin Operated Boy would make a good skating program.

Another one from the AW program list
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYl0YYZjmcM

I have always wanting to skate to coin operated boy.

vCash
    i didn't really want to do something sexy/seductive, so "these boots" and "big spender" are out.

vCash
    Heard "The Good Old Hockey Game" today while having dinner at a diner. A hockey theme would be cute.

vCash
    If you want an audience-pleaser, take a well-known song and give it a twist with costume and choreography that tell a completely different story. There's no shortcut to coming up with a good idea, but when you do, it pays off!