vCash

Gas Dryer - Experience?

I'm in a vacation home and have encountered my first gas-operated dryer. The owner of the home told me to clean out the lint each time or the dryer was likely to catch fire. I'm cleaning out the lint each time after drying anyway but the words "catching fire" scared the hell out of me. (Fire's probably my biggest fear)
    So, does anyone have experience with these kind of dryers? Are they generally safe to use or do they really catch fire rather easily?

Thanks!

vCash
    We've had gas dryers for the 37 years we have lived in this house. And for 3 years before in another house. My parents have always had gas dryers. Never had a problem. Keep the lint cleaner cleaned out.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i always clean out the lint. i've never had a problem.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Okay, thanks. That reassures me! I'll give it a go tomorrow.

vCash
    I used to route technicians who repaired gas appliances. Clean the filter? Yes But unless there is something actually wrong with the unit it should not catch fire just because you didn't clean the filter after each and every cycle.

vCash
    But as a method of getting you to clean the filter (or not put wear and tear on the dryer) it worked pretty well, didn't it?

Tinami 2012
    vCash
    Any dryer will work much more effectively if you clean the lint after each use. Keep in mind that gas dryers will usually get clothes dryer more quickly and efficiently (lower cost per use) than electric. You may not want to set the temperature as high or leave the clothes in for as long as you're used to with an electric dryer.

Thin material, e.g., summer bed sheets, left in the dryer for too long at too high of a temperature poses a risk for fire in both electric and gas dryers. The danger with gas is that a fire could result in an explosion. I was raised with - and have always abided by - the notion that you never, ever leave a running dryer unattended.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    The "catch fire if you don't clean the filter" idea had been around for a long time and is not limited to gas dryers. I think your friend has been tricked by an urban legend.

Here's some tips on avoiding dryer firers from Consumer Reports:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/a...view/index.htm

vCash
    I appreciate all the replies, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Keep in mind that gas dryers will usually get clothes dryer more quickly and efficiently (lower cost per use) than electric. You may not want to set the temperature as high or leave the clothes in for as long as you're used to with an electric dryer.
    Yes, I was told but thanks