Page 5 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BaileyCatts View Post
    I also didn't think the last kid was all that spectacular, despite the backstory. He was okay, but I don't see him getting out of the first round.
    I think they put him through out of pity. If he didn't have a life threatening disease, he wouldn't have made it through.

vCash
    I haven't seen any of the auditions so far, but I saw that Nate Tao made it through the Oklahoma auditions! He came to my high school when he was part of the all male acappella group Ithacappella for their winter tour. I met him very briefly and gosh, he's super talented.

I don't normally follow American Idol too much, but I'll be watching this time for him!

vCash
    I have to say I hated the sound of this judging panel when they were announced but I think I like them better then the one they replaced. If they can add some colour and entertainment value with some solid critiques without overshadowing the contestants maybe they will be a shot in the arm for the show. I really enjoyed the early years of AI but I have sort of gritted my teeth too many times the last few years.
    pug lover

vCash
    So yeah, remember that hottie war hero who auditioned with his daughter? Turns out he was lying.

How people think that they can get away with this in this day and age is beyond me.

vCash
    Last night was the 1st of 2 nights of Hollywood week for the guys. I really liked the way they put the groups together. It eliminated the advantage some of them have had in previous years & it helped the shy ones who might have had trouble finding a group to join. I hope the girls learn something by watching the guys: that no matter how much of a weak link you think someone in your group is, the bottom line is that your solo part has to be great. Some of the guys were way too worried about what other people were doing. (I still remember Elliott Yamin's group - it was awful but his part was great & I think he was the only one who went thru.)

I agreed with the judges on the whole but I wouldn't have put Papa Peechez thru in the 1st place & certainly not after his lack-luster performance. I felt really bad for the subway performer but his lack of training was really evident, plus he let his nerves get the better of him before he performed. But I felt proud for the little boy who has cystic fibrousis because he acted so maturely, saying that he messed up & that he wasn't ready.

I'm always surprised by the number of people who can't learn their lyrics. The solo parts are usually not that long. If if was me I would fluff the group part if I had to in order to learn my part. I think many of the people never watch AI because if they did they could avoid the pitfalls better.

vCash
    Am I imagining things or are a lot of soul singers being put through? I still can't stand Nikki Minaj.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    I'm always surprised by the number of people who can't learn their lyrics.
    I think they know the lyrics, it's just that the pressure gets to them. And that's the test, not whether you can sing well or not. Do you crack under pressure? Are you a quick learner? Can you work well with others. These things are what the group round are about.

What surprises me is how many people say, "I don't know this song". It's like someone who wants to become a doctor and doesn't know all the parts of the human body. If you want this to be your lifelong career, you will have a broad awareness of popular music. Plus everybody knows that Motown, etc. will be picked often as song choices. If you haven't acquired the greatest hits CDs of the Four Tops, Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, The Temptations, etc. then you don't deserve to go through.

Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    I really liked the way they put the groups together.
    I did not. They set groups up for "dramatic TV moments" rather than helping youth to become a successful musical performer. The most glaring example was the two rednecks and the two effeminate gay men. That was so obvious and so wrong...
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by merrywidow View Post
    Am I imagining things or are a lot of soul singers being put through? I still can't stand Nikki Minaj.
    From mjsbigblog, very few WGWGs got through. Given the obvious producer manipulation this year, it seems that they really want a girl or person of color to win.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    From mjsbigblog, very few WGWGs got through. Given the obvious producer manipulation this year, it seems that they really want a girl or person of color to win.
    The young group of boys-- including the one with Cystic Fibrosis-- illustrated this to a T. There were two who performed well-- one was the African American kid (has Jr. in his name and walked the Green Mile last year), and the other was the white boy (not the Cystic Fibrosis boy) who got cut. They kept a kid who was crap, and left a talented boy go. Makes no sense.
    Beefcake's fancy, saccharine, artsy, drag bingo cliche effusing, bipolar, OTT fashionista manchild

vCash
    They did send a number of the "questionable" selections home; more than I thought they would.
    There appears to be some "drama" during the solo round tonight.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    There appears to be some "drama" during the solo round tonight.
    I was thinking that drama might occur on this program eventually.

vCash
    I really like Charlie and really hate Papa Peaches. Amazed that Peaches was put through.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i hate anyone who calls himself papa peaches on principle
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Felt bad for the guy who helped the cute Cuban stutterer to make it through the next round, but got himself eliminated. Also felt bad for the guy who came up with the idea of singing acapella, but was the only one eliminated in his group.

I'm rooting for Cuban cutie pie and Indian dude.

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    i hate anyone who calls himself papa peaches on principle
    Especially when he spells it "Peachez"

vCash
    ^^^
    I don't like people who assume "stage names"/personas without the credibility/ability to back them up.
    After Idol, perhaps; now, no.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alixana View Post
    Especially when he spells it "Peachez"
    apocalypse + 1
    Last edited by my little pony; 02-08-2013 at 11:10 PM.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    I liked that the producers forced the groups and made a rule you can't quit or get kicked from a group. Sure they made some groups for drama factor, but really, how many of those were really gonna make Top 20 anyway ... probably none. And how was that any different than the drama that group day ususally brings. That was always my least favorite part on how all the Day 1 people would control who was and was not in their group, leaving Day 2 people scrambling and begging to get in a group, people quitting groups, etc. That was one little thing I liked about Scotty McCreary winning ... to shove it in the face of those pricks who wouldn't let him be in any of their groups.

I still would prefer a complete and total random draw for Group Day though. Make every group 4 people (or a few at 3 if there's not an even number), figure out how many groups that makes, and everyone draws a group number. That's your group and then that's final.

Oh I sssssoooooo hope that the girls were sequestered or something during Hollywood week so that they did not know ahead of time what was going to happen with the groups, since obviously the guys didn't know. Hopefully the word didn't get to the girls to not even bother working on groups and its a big surprise to them as well. Oh the that should bring!

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Looks like Crystal Bowersox is joining her AI alumni by appearing on Broadway...

Always... Patsy Cline, Starring Crystal Bowersox, Aiming for Broadway in Summer 2013

vCash
    Good for her. I think that's a good "fit."
    Never mess with a geocacher. We know the best places to hide a body....

Page 5 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast