Page 38 of 55 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    YMMV
    I thought Amy Winehouse was pretty, but most of the time she looked whacked out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Nobody is debating that Lazaro's current abilities are far below those of his competitors. The issue is whether we tar and feather him or not when he says something as simple as "I'm having a tough time".
    Why is he the only one having a tough time learning songs?

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Lazaro is simply not as good as the other singers and it's not fair to me (and to others, but I'm sure they can speak for themselves) that he's been allowed to stay when people who are clearly more talented than he are being booted off the show.
    Hasn't this happened just about every season? It's become a hallmark of AI. This group isn't any more special than past groups.

vCash
    Nobody is debating that Lazaro's current abilities are far below those of his competitors. The issue is whether we tar and feather him or not when he says something as simple as "I'm having a tough time".
    First of all, "tar and feather" is a bit of an overstatement. Second, Lazaro has not just said that he is having a tough time. He had repeatedly failed to learn his lyrics, and then seems to make excuses and complains about not having enough time even though he has the same amount of time as everyone else. There are plenty of others with more talent who would have been willing to put in whatever time necessary to learn the lyrics. Worse, he screwed multiple contestants by failing to learn his lyrics. He seems to not feel very bad that others have been advesely affected by the fact that he has not done his job. I felt bad for Devin and Burnell.

Speaking of Devin, who knew he had a personality:

http://www.mjsbigblog.com/nicki-mina...e-gracious.htm

vCash
    I see Devin as a Pia Toscano type of contestant. Both were voted off before contestants who were less talented. And yes, they have phenomenal vocal talent but are lacking something to truly set them apart. For me, both were kind of boring. I do feel bad for the way things went down this week and the issues with Nicki, but I won't miss Devin all that much.

By the way, whatever happened to Pia? Didn't she have a record deal? Off to search.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Why is he the only one having a tough time learning songs?
    I don't know. Does anyone have any knowledge of people who stutter? Do they often have mental blocks around learning? I believe Seacrest said one time that AI was the first time Lazaro sung for a live audience. I find that hard to believe. You haven't sung in front of family, a karaoke night, a school concert? Plus I agree with Jimmy that when you are serious about a career, you have done research in that area. Anyone who wants to be in the music industry should know songs by the Beatles and Motown. Maybe Lazaro's biggest mistake was that he should have waited until he had more live experience and more awareness of the types of music that has been performed on AI time and time again.

Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    First of all, "tar and feather" is a bit of an overstatement. Second, Lazaro has not just said that he is having a tough time. He had repeatedly failed to learn his lyrics, and then seems to make excuses and complains about not having enough time even though he has the same amount of time as everyone else. There are plenty of others with more talent who would have been willing to put in whatever time necessary to learn the lyrics. Worse, he screwed multiple contestants by failing to learn his lyrics. He seems to not feel very bad that others have been advesely affected by the fact that he has not done his job. I felt bad for Devin and Burnell.
    Unfortunately, none of this matters. Television talent shows have rarely been about talent. They are popularity contests. Remember:

Tamyra Gray was voted off before Nikki McKibbin,

Jennifer Hudson was voted off before John Stevens (and Jasmine Trias),

Chris Daughtry (and Kellie Pickler) were voted off before Taylor Hicks,

Melinda Doolitte was voted off before Blake Lewis,

Pia Toscano was voted off before Jacob Lusk, James Durbin, Lauren Alaina and Scotty McCreery, and

Elise Testone, Colton Dixon and Erika Van Pelt were vote off before Phillip Phillips (and Skylar Laine).
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    I don't know. Does anyone have any knowledge of people who stutter? Do they often have mental blocks around learning? I believe Seacrest said one time that AI was the first time Lazaro sung for a live audience. I find that hard to believe. You haven't sung in front of family, a karaoke night, a school concert? Plus I agree with Jimmy that when you are serious about a career, you have done research in that area. Anyone who wants to be in the music industry should know songs by the Beatles and Motown. Maybe Lazaro's biggest mistake was that he should have waited until he had more live experience and more awareness of the types of music that has been performed on AI time and time again.
    I don't know if there is a correlation between stuttering and learning disabilities, but stuttering didn't stop Mel Tillis from having one of the most successful careers in country-western music. Of course his family and doctors may have missed something in their quest to deal with his speech issues; he could very well likely have problems retaining information.

Unfortunately, none of this matters. Television talent shows have rarely been about talent. They are popularity contests. Remember:

Tamyra Gray was voted off before Nikki McKibbin,

Jennifer Hudson was voted off before John Stevens (and Jasmine Trias),

Chris Daughtry (and Kellie Pickler) were voted off before Taylor Hicks,

Melinda Doolitte was voted off before Blake Lewis,

Pia Toscano was voted off before Jacob Lusk, James Durbin, Lauren Alaina and Scotty McCreery, and

Elise Testone, Colton Dixon and Erika Van Pelt were vote off before Phillip Phillips (and Skylar Laine).
    Lazaro is another Nikki McKibbin for me; I could not stand her either. But yeah, it's not American Most Talented Idol. Not anymore. The most talented one IMO, the one with pure raw singing (and writing) talent is Kelly Clarkson. Rueben Stoddard was a close second, but I don't think that he wrote any of his stuff - did he?

vCash

It matters to the point we were discussing. The issue we were discussing is whether it is fair to critize Lazarro for not learning his songs. Yes, people have been critical in the past when they thought weaker singers were outlasting better singers. But, the issue here is the fact that it appears that Lazarro isn't working hard enough, his failure to learn songs has adversely impacted other people, and he makes excuses for his poor performances. Devin and Burnell should not have had to deal with that from Lazarro. Some people seem eager to make up excuses for him, too. First some people wanted to believe that Lazarro was forced to change songs. (Melinda Doolitte seemed to think it was great that Jimmy called him out on that.) Now, people want to think that he has a learning disability, even though the Idol producers, who are experts at explotation, have said nothing about that and neither has Lazarro. It bugs me that some people seem to treat him like a little boy instead of an adult like the other contestants. If it is true that Lazarro doesn't have the capacity to learn things -- or learn them at the pace necessary in this business -- and if he's going to cry when people are critical, he shouldnt' ever have been on the show.

vCash

Again, this is a term that Lazaro did not use. Smiley0884, when you put your own words in quotations, it implies that the person you're hating on used those words. Irresponsible and misleading.
    I put "interent haters" in quotes because it's a generalized phrase, I wasn't implying that Lazaro used the phrase himself. And no, you're not hating on someone for giving an honest critque. I agree that article was somewhat taking Lazaro's quote out of conext, but that fact is, he blatantly said that the internet comments affect his performance. He is not going to make it very far in the music industry if he is going to let internet comments get to him. There have been plenty of other contestants that have received media backlash (Kellie Pickler, Fantasia, ect.) And they just held their heads up and kept singing. Lazaro needs to do that.

I've defended Lazaro in the past, but this time I'm with Rex and others who are calling Laz on his lack of accountability. Based on the quote from the article and his behavior on the show, he keeps placing blame on other factors instead of admitting that maybe he wasn't ready to be thrust into the spot light on a show of this magnitude, with little or no experience.

Lazaro seems like a good guy, but he's just not presenting himself in a very positive light. He's coming off as someone who is lazy and makes excuses. I do feel bad for the fact that he is clearly being exploited and doesn't seem to have anyone giving him good PR advice. Or maybe there are people trying to give him advice and he'd rather make excuses, who knows?

vCash
    On to this week's theme: Classic Rock No Ballads

Here's Slezak's ideas for song choice:
    http://tvline.com/2013/03/29/america...ek-song-picks/

Burnell Taylor: Mungo Jerry’s “In the Summertime” or Donovan’s “Sunshine Superman“
    Janelle Arthur: Three Dog Night’s “One (Is the Loneliest Number)” or Guns N’ Roses’ “Paradise City“
    Lazaro Arbos: Bruce Springsteen’s “Tunnel of Love” or INXS’ “Need You Tonight“
    Amber Holcomb: John Mellencamp’s “Paper in Fire” or Prince’s “When Doves Cry“
    Angie Miller: Pat Benatar’s “All Fired Up” or Yes’s “Owner of a Lonely Heart“
    Candice Glover: The Rolling Stones’ “Gimme Shelter” or Fleetwood Mac’s “Gold Dust Woman“
    Kree Harrison: Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers’ “Don’t Do Me Like That” or Don Henley’s “Dirty Laundry“

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    ...stuttering didn't stop Mel Tillis from having one of the most successful careers in country-western music.
    But Mel didn't end up on one of television's most popular shows and have to learn a couple of new songs each week (and without having any live singing experience).

But yeah, it's not American Most Talented Idol. Not anymore. The most talented one IMO, the one with pure raw singing (and writing) talent is Kelly Clarkson. Rueben Stoddard was a close second, but I don't think that he wrote any of his stuff - did he?
    It never was. Not when Tamyra Gray didn't make it to the final. As for Ruben, the credits at allmusic.com list him as having co-writing credits for one to four songs per album. Twice he got a solo writing credit.

The issue we were discussing is whether it is fair to critize Lazarro for not learning his songs.
    Are you thinking that Lazaro reads over his lyric sheets three times and then spends the rest of his week playing video games?

If it is true that Lazarro doesn't have the capacity to learn things -- or learn them at the pace necessary in this business -- and if he's going to cry when people are critical, he shouldnt' ever have been on the show.
    What are you referring to? I've only seen one article which has Lazaro's words and he said that he read some comments on the internet and they unsettled him. If that's a crime, then I'm going to be doing life because I've read comments that upset me which had nothing to do with me...or anything I've ever been involved with!
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    You don't need AI title to be successful nor does it doesn't guarantee success. If you have the combination of talent and personality and make it to the top 10-12 someone will see that and make you successful. Look at Lee Dwyze, AI winner, but has gone nowhere, compared to Jennifer Hudson who finished sixth (?) and has a Grammy and an Oscar. That is why it doesn't matter if Lazaro stays in the competition longer than others that are more deserving because someone will spot the talent and make them successful.

vCash
    But Mel didn't end up on one of television's most popular shows and have to learn a couple of new songs each week (and without having any live singing experience).
    That's why he should get the boot - he has no real stage presence other than the fact that he's got a cute face...to me he sings like it's karaoke night at Woody's.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash

American Idol 2013: I wsh I knew how to quit you...

What are you referring to? I've only seen one article which has Lazaro's words and he said that he read some comments on the internet and they unsettled him. If that's a crime, then I'm going to be doing life because I've read comments that upset me which had nothing to do with me...or anything I've ever been involved with!
    Do you use that as an excuse when you show up to work and have a bad day or when you argue with the family? We all let things bother us but is it an excuse to not take care of your responsibilities?
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Is it true that there will be no ballads allowed this week?

OMG.

vCash

American Idol 2013: I wsh I knew how to quit you...

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    Is it true that there will be no ballads allowed this week?

OMG.
    That's what I heard but I wonder what qualifies as a ballad. That's very subjective. Are power ballads allowed? Can you start off as a ballad and bring in a faster beat? I could still see it being a night of ballads.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Are you thinking that Lazaro reads over his lyric sheets three times and then spends the rest of his week playing video games?
    I don't know how many times he's reading the lyrics, but it's clearly not enough. It's no secret that some contestants work a lot harder than others. He does not appear to be one of the harder working ones. He clearly isn't working hard enough. I don't know how much time he's spending playing video games, but he's obviously spending too much time reading things about himself on the Internet.

Nobody said it was a crime. And he didn't say the comments "unsettled" him. He said they got to him and affected his performance. What's he going to do on tour if there are critical comments about his performances online? Get worse at every stop? He has to be able to not let those kinds of things affect his performance. But, I wasn't even talking about that when I mentioned the crying. A couple of weeks ago when the judges finally found the nerve to give him some fairly restrained criticism, he was in tears. I wonder if he's used to people going easy on him because of his stutter and just doesn't know how to deal with criticism. But, I just don't see how anyone watching the show will think that he's going to be a hardworking professional and someone they'd really like to work with. (Although, the sympathy votes probably aren't going to translate into a music career for him, so I guess that won't be a concern for him unless he rides the sympathy all they way to the finale.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    That's what I heard but I wonder what qualifies as a ballad. That's very subjective. Are power ballads allowed? Can you start off as a ballad and bring in a faster beat? I could still see it being a night of ballads.
    I will operate a switch which will open up the floor and toss the contestant into a pit of flames if their song choice approaches anything near ballad territory.

I wouldn't mind a night of Power Ballads, though. That might be entertaining. But not on Classic Rock night.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    I wouldn't mind a night of Power Ballads, though. That might be entertaining.
    Yes!! I would love that!!

vCash
    Power Ballads would also be a night of great duets, as well.
    -Brian

Page 38 of 55 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast