Page 13 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    vCash
    WG just stands for "White guy" lol. They obviously don't want another Phil/Lee/Scotty ect. Why can't they just put the best singers/performers through and let America decide? I thought that was the point of American Idol. There have always been producer manipulations, but this season it's just so egregious.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiley0884 View Post
    WG just stands for "White guy" lol. They obviously don't want another Phil/Lee/Scotty ect. Why can't they just put the best singers/performers through and let America decide? I thought that was the point of American Idol. There have always been producer manipulations, but this season it's just so egregious.
    If the white guy is talented and deserving, I'm cool with that. David Cook was one of their better choices IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    If the white guy is talented and deserving, I'm cool with that. David Cook was one of their better choices IMO.
    Agree...I liked Kris Allen too, even though I'm an Adam Lambert uber. There were a few guys this season in that "WGWG" (white guy with guitar) mold and they've pretty much been 86'ed before America got the chance to vote.

vCash
    I liked him too Rex. I didn't LOVE the song, but it was cute, and I liked that he was showing exactly who he is as an artist. But he was TOO cute, and too many girls would have voted. Can't have another WG win!!!
    The first time I saw him in the audition, I said, "He's gonna win the whole thing," and I was not thinking because of his voice. If TPTB at Idol are trying to break the WG win syndrome, they could not put him through.
    Last edited by snoopysnake; 03-02-2013 at 01:18 AM. Reason: grammar

vCash
    Yeah, the producers definitely are desperate that a white guy with guitar does not win this season. I personally would also like to finally see some diversity in the winners after so many years of the same type of singer winning, but not because of such overt producer manipulation which is obviously happen this year. I wish they would just put the best people through and whoever wins, so be it.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    And I'd have kept the Singh guy - I liked his voice and the fact that he was an untraditional American Idol. I can't believe they let that hipster guy with that awful hat and weak vocals stay at all.
    I felt Gurpreet was one of the worst three of the night. Plus he picked a song that didn't seem to have a melody. I'm not sure that Gurpreet has had many moments on this show. I think he's just been consistently "nice" (meaning average). On the other hand, Nick has had a lot of moments. So his slightly better version of a song lacking in melody (is James Morrison that bad, are did these two just suck the life out of his songs??) didn't hold him back from going through due to some great work previously.

I wasn't a huge fan of David's song choice, but he still did something interesting with it, and he's a true musician, so I liked that about him. I just don't understand why he got hosed while some others who were quite mediocre got a tounge bath. I definitely would have put him in over hipster hat guy.
    I totally agreed with Nicki when she said that it sounded like a "hey, I just got a guitar for my birthday...who wants to hear a song?" That was mean...but true. And what's the deal with a guy who promotes his worship leader picking a song about having a fever where there's kissing and sizzling and a lovely way to burn? Strange song choice...

They sent that one guy home who not only sang well, but wrote his own song, "I'm Better With You". I really liked him, and they sent him home.
    I was so emarrassed for Josh that while singing his own composition...he could not hit the majority of the notes for the final third of the song. His voice sounded worn out and strained and the ending of that song sounded so awful. How can this happen when the performer wrote the song themself??
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I felt Gurpreet was one of the worst three of the night. Plus he picked a song that didn't seem to have a melody. I'm not sure that Gurpreet has had many moments on this show. I think he's just been consistently "nice" (meaning average). On the other hand, Nick has had a lot of moments. So his slightly better version of a song lacking in melody (is James Morrison that bad, are did these two just suck the life out of his songs??) didn't hold him back from going through due to some great work previously.
    I guess my hatred of hipsters overlooked this. I didn't mind Gurpreet's voice at all.

I was so emarrassed for Josh that while singing his own composition...he could not hit the majority of the notes for the final third of the song. His voice sounded worn out and strained and the ending of that song sounded so awful. How can this happen when the performer wrote the song themself??
    Maybe, but Lazaro was worse, way worse IMO. The judges felt sorry for him. He's a cute boy with an impediment and a passable voice.

vCash
    I have to agree with most of the posters. What are the judges thinking? It seems like they are pushing for a win by a black female. Myself? The only person I'd consider voting for (& I haven't voted since Adam Lambert) is Devon Velez but probably won't vote for anyone. The only interesting aspect of this season is seeing how fast the voting public gets rid of some of these jokers.

vCash

Maybe, but Lazaro was worse, way worse IMO. The judges felt sorry for him. He's a cute boy with an impediment and a passable voice.
    I think Laz actually has a great voice, his problem is that he doesn't know who he is as an artist, and he ends up with duds like last night. Still, he should have been able to scrounge up a better vocal.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG
    I totally agreed with Nicki when she said that it sounded like a "hey, I just got a guitar for my birthday...who wants to hear a song?" That was mean...but true. And what's the deal with a guy who promotes his worship leader picking a song about having a fever where there's kissing and sizzling and a lovely way to burn? Strange song choice
    Regardless, I like the fact that he actually changed up the song and came up with one of the better vocals of the night. I feel like Nicki is just slamming anyone who isn't a Rhianna or Ne-yo clone. Or a complete nut job like Zoanette.

vCash
    I think Laz actually has a great voice, his problem is that he doesn't know who he is as an artist, and he ends up with duds like last night. Still, he should have been able to scrounge up a better vocal.
    If there were actual mentors on this show then not only Lazaro but a lot of the other contestants would be so much better. Once they survived Hollywood week the top 40 should have been helped with song choice, vocal training, staging, & clothing selection. The songs that were sung last night makes it evident that these guys got no (or very little) help. This is the biggest gripe I have with this show. When they get down to the top 10 they get more attention but for some talented people, that's too late.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    why is everyone on the show this year a "worship leader?" there were 3 this week. is that an unemployed person who gets a little stipend from a church or is an actual income?
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    I make a quite nice income as a worship leader.

Worship Leader = the Minister of Music of the 1980s. We prepare the worship service -- the liturgy, the music, the art elements -- and then we lead it. "Minister of Music" is not really a good description for what we do, because worship encompasses so much more than music.

The kids on AI are young and probably part time at small churches -- but many of us who make a career out of it have seminary degrees and licenses....

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    thanks for the information. i thought they didnt want to say they were unemployed.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Worship Leaders are also the face of CCM. Chris Tomlin, Kari Jobe, Israel Houghton...Christian Music Concerts are more worship events than concerts these days. I think worship leader could also represent what kind of music they see themselves recording....not always, but a lot of the time.

vCash
    Maybe they want a pop idol with a Christian background?

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Maybe they want a pop idol with a Christian background?
    http://www.amazon.com/A-Messenger/dp...85263&sr=301-1
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    I don't tune in much, but caught the men the other night.

Thought Nicki was cute for like 5 seconds, then decided I needed to adjust my surprisingly high tolerance to self promoting jerks. Didn't take much adjusting, she did all the work herself.

Saw an appealing young man with a guitar. I liked him, which means he likely didn't move on.

Bald guy does some tiresome over singing. But wait: Damon Wayans is in the audience, apparently doing a Wanda skit! Yay! Oh, that was one of the female contestants. She really should sit down and shut up when it's not her turn, among other things.

Erkel-ish guy sings, sort of old fashioned but endearing.

A guy with a large looking head and a bowler hat. I admire a guy with the guts to not worry about looking like Elmer Fudd on TV. He sings something, but it's time for reading, so I tune out.

vCash
    Very interesting.

AI gave Colton a platform/exposure to an audience he never would have had otherwise; particularly at this early stage of his career
    Contestants with overtly Christian backgrounds (Danny Gokey, among others) can fizzle.
    Does the "secular" AI voter tire of them?

vCash
    Wasn't Kris Allen a worship leader?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    Wasn't Kris Allen a worship leader?
    Yes. And I think most of Fantasia's pre-Idol experience was with her family's church and gospel group. Idol has had a lot of finalists who have Christian backgrounds and reference their Christian beliefs on the show. This season really doesn't seem any different. There are a number of finalists who have gone on to make CCM or gospel records -- Ruben, Mandisa, Colton, Jason Castro, etc.

Page 13 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast