Page 10 of 55 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

vCash
    Paul
    Devin
    Elijah
    Charlie
    Curtis

I picked 4 of the 5 - I should have picked Elijah because the judges gushed all over him. His vocal was very weak & I don't even think he's cute in the least so I couldn't understand why the judges think he has "it". I sure didn't see it. Jimmy & Johnny were both kind of generic but they did a better job than Elijah but you could tell they weren't going thru just because of their feedback. I also thought JDA was better than him too. Kevin & Chris were both pretty bad. So was Charlie but I love Charlie so I didn't mind him going thru. (So I'm a hypocrite - sue me.)

The only person that really excited me was Devin. The powerful voice coming out of that unassuming person is a little surprising but I love his voice. The only performance I hated was Curtis's. He is so OTT & pretentious.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    I missed Charlie. According to Keith, I was the only person who wandered away from my tv. What did he do?
    Rocket Man.

vCash
    I hated the guy with the bedazzled Jaclyn Smith sheet on his head. It was so distracting. Plus his singing was off. I knew they'd get rid of him as soon as he stepped on stage.

vCash
    Wow. That was a bad night. What was Nicki smoking? Elijah was literally painful at points. And then she gave Charlie a standing ovation? Dorky does not equate to Freddie Mercury.

vCash
    Anyone notice that Jimmy Smith looks kind of like Charlie White?

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    If I had been a judge, I would have fought for Jda until it got bloody. I was thoroughly entertained, plus I love "Rumour Has It". Yes, at some points he sounded flat/nasally, but other parts of his vocal were quite good and he didn't waver/lose the melody like half of the other guys.

Elijah ("Talkin' To The Moon"???) was good but not great. I think he does have potential but didn't bring it tonight like I think he can.

Paul Jolley (Evan Lysacek II) was my third favourite of the night. BUT STOP DOING MOPEY BALLADS, PEOPLE!!! He's a good singer, though. (P.S. To the guys...Keith Urban has a LOT of GREAT uptemp songs!)

Devin was my fourth favourite. See my comments for Elijah.

And lastly, I would have put Johnny Keyser through. Same as Elijah and Devin, but a decent performance.

I thought Charlie was AWFUL. He's been endearing with his awkwardness, but that was when he was also humble. Now he has a bit of a cocky thing happening and he does NOT wear it well. I thought his vocal was the WORST of the night, actually. I never need to hear that again.

Curtis. I cannot put into words how much I dislike him. Smug. So far beyond overdone that there isn't a word to get this across. Immodest. The faces/grimaces he makes, both when he's performing as well as not (getting feedback)...so off-putting. If he was female, he'd make for a good soap opera villian, the type that'd be described as a 'two-faced beyotch'. He said nasty sh... during the group rehearsals and then later talks as if he's Mr. Positivity. I can't remember the last time I've disliked anyone even remotely close to this. It's all I can do to get through a performance of his.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    If I had been a judge, I would have fought for Jda until it got bloody. I was thoroughly entertained, plus I love "Rumour Has It". Yes, at some points he sounded flat/nasally, but other parts of his vocal were quite good and he didn't waver/lose the melody like half of the other guys.

Elijah ("Talkin' To The Moon"???) was good but not great. I think he does have potential but didn't bring it tonight like I think he can.

Paul Jolley (Evan Lysacek II) was my third favourite of the night. BUT STOP DOING MOPEY BALLADS, PEOPLE!!! He's a good singer, though. (P.S. To the guys...Keith Urban has a LOT of GREAT uptemp songs!)

Devin was my fourth favourite. See my comments for Elijah.

And lastly, I would have put Johnny Keyser through. Same as Elijah and Devin, but a decent performance.

I thought Charlie was AWFUL. He's been endearing with his awkwardness, but that was when he was also humble. Now he has a bit of a cocky thing happening and he does NOT wear it well. I thought his vocal was the WORST of the night, actually. I never need to hear that again.

Curtis. I cannot put into words how much I dislike him. Smug. So far beyond overdone that there isn't a word to get this across. Immodest. The faces/grimaces he makes, both when he's performing as well as not (getting feedback)...so off-putting. If he was female, he'd make for a good soap opera villian, the type that'd be described as a 'two-faced beyotch'. He said nasty sh... during the group rehearsals and then later talks as if he's Mr. Positivity. I can't remember the last time I've disliked anyone even remotely close to this. It's all I can do to get through a performance of his.
    Spot-on analysis of Curtis, Charlie, & JDA. But I'm curious, if Devin was your 4th favorite, who do you think was better other than JDA? I thought Paul, Johnny, & Jimmy did what I would call a decent job so I would rank them Devin, Paul, Jimmy, Johnny, JDA. I loved JDA's performance but his vocal had problems. Marginal was Chris & Kevin, then way below them were Elijah, Charlie, & Curtis (for me).

I've been liking Charlie so far but he obviously got into the top 10 based on his previous work. And it may be that he has never received so much acceptance in his life & it's gone to his head a little (or a lot). But he will get no more excuses from me - from now on he needs to bring it or I'm done with him.
    Last edited by taf2002; 02-22-2013 at 03:10 PM.

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Agreed. Thank goodness for PVR/DVR .. some nights I wear out the fast forward button.

vCash
    ITA about Curtis, nice voice but unbearable to watch. My favorite definitely was Devin. Keiser should have gone through over Charlie IMO. I'm not all that impressed so far by the judges choices for either the men or women. Nikki is ridiculous with her comments, "I want to have your babies", etc.. She must be desparate for a man/boy! Almost forgot to mention J'da. I was surprised they didn't put him through after the audience reaction to his performance. Fun!

vCash
    I'd bet the farm that the judges had no say whatsoever in the JDA boot. The producers walked through and said "hell no". Which is sad but prudent...can't cater to to a new demographic while alientating your base. JDA knew exactly what he was doing - he'll be fine.

I also suspect that the Jimmy Iovine decision was not just whether or not to keep Paul but in fact to choose between Jonny and Paul. They fit the same niche.

vCash
    ITA, nypanda.
    Performers who are going to "push the envelope" need to realize that they need; and be willing to, "temper" themselves somewhat if they want to reach a national audience.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    But I'm curious, if Devin was your 4th favorite, who do you think was better other than JDA?
    I thought a number of the guys had better vocals than Jda. But before I posted, I thought back on the performances and the guys with better vocals were not performances I wanted to see (or even hear) again. But I wanted more Jda. I would have preferred a mini-Jda concert over hearing a handful of the other guys even once. But I'm wondering...

20 have been whittled down to 10 and next week the same thing happens. The week after that, the audience votes and the 20 becomes 10, right? Or am I mistaken and 20 becomes 12? If it's the former, then we have two or three open spots?? There has never been a top 10 since season one, right...we always have a top twelve or thirteen and when that's whittled down to 10, that top 10 is the group that gets to go on tour. So will there be a wild card week? Or will the three new judges each get to add one favourite performer to the top 10? So maybe some of our favourites that get dropped will be seen again??

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    Good gawd I thought they were all awful! What a boring night! JDA was the only one who was even remotely entertaining to me, but I knew he would not make it due to he is also just a wee bit polarizing to the masses. Why do they always sing those gawd awful ballads! Sing something uptempo for once!

vCash
    The men IMO were amongst the worst I've seen on AI. Curtis is no Luther...how dare he try to sing that Superstar song; it was too big for him. Luther even outdid Karen Carpenter and it was HER song.
    I too like Jda...Adam Lambert threw down that gauntlet, he did, he did...

vCash
    Adam managed to be "himself" without alienating the mass audience.
    Jda - and others who hope to do the same - take note.

vCash
    Curtis...
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    If we're talking about vocals and not looks, personality, or "performing ability," I thought that Curtis was the best vocally last night. Followed by Devin. Maybe it's because I hadn't seen Curtis before, but his personality didn't affect my assessment of his vocals. IMO, he deserved to go through. But, he probably will not last long once the voting starts because it seems that everyone hates him.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    If we're talking about vocals and not looks, personality, or "performing ability," I thought that Curtis was the best vocally last night. Followed by Devin. Maybe it's because I hadn't seen Curtis before, but his personality didn't affect my assessment of his vocals. IMO, he deserved to go through. But, he probably will not last long once the voting starts because it seems that everyone hates him.
    His mother was in the audience. She seemed to find him tolerable.

vCash
    I like Curtis vocally, but you would think as long as American Idol has been around contestants who are serious about winning would be aware that to win they have to get people to vote for them which means being at least somewhat likable.
    Last edited by jenny12; 02-24-2013 at 02:58 AM.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    His mother was in the audience. She seemed to find him tolerable.
    give her time
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Page 10 of 55 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast