Page 29 of 55 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I knew Lazaro would get lots of sympathy votes. (I don't think most of those votes are from teeny boppers.) If it wasn't going to be Lazaro, I'm fine with it being Paul. It certainly should not have been Amber.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nypanda View Post
    I guess I'm trying to figure out what a "pageant performer" sings like. Because in my experience, a pageant performer either wails musical theatre or Barabra Streisand covers off key...or botches one of the easier Italian arias with southern amurican diction...on mic. Just saying. In the context of this thread "pageant performer" seems to = "pretty white girl who sings power ballads"....(consequently, with confidence...which is what I suspect the real issue is).
    I don't know about anybody else, but that's not my definition of pageant performer. To me it means person with good voice, maybe even great voice but with little connection with what they are singing ( Angie & Paul) I don't see anything behind the eyes or any real emotion. Just pwetty pwetty singing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Did Jimmy Iovine accuse Lazaros of fibbing? Lazaros said he only had one night to learn his song, but Jimmy said he had five! I cannot believe he's safe with that awful performance. Sympathy voting...people, it's a TALENT show!!!
    Later on when Ryan interviewed Lazaro it became clear that Lazaro changed his song at the last minute (Jimmy had to know this so he's the liar). And from what Nicki said, Jimmy is the one who had him change it. So when Jimmy said they all had the same rehearsal time he knew that wasn't true for Lazaro. What really steams me is that he took the contestant who was struggling most & made him go on stage with the least preparation time. What a tool. (And btw old man, turn your cap around, you ain't no gangsta - better yet, learn to dress like an adult.)

ETA: for those who thought Jessica Sanchez got robbed last year, tonight proved that the right person won. It was like the professional & the amateur singing out there with her & NeYo.
    Last edited by taf2002; 03-22-2013 at 03:20 AM.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by topaz View Post
    Kree has a excellent voice but she needs to change her image. She wants to be a country singer looking the way she does. Ain't no way
    I'm not sure I understand. What about her looks would keep her out of country? Is she too fat? I think she would best be accepted at her current weight in the world of country. Pop would make her slim down or ignore her. Country would welcome her with open arms, her voice is more than enough. Other than her weight (which really is not an issue but she isn't pencil thin like most singers and movie stars) I can't figure out what about her looks could cause her any problems. I don't think her fashion sense is great but it isn't awful (she's no Kelly Clarkson when it comes to clothes..thank goodness) and she would have someone dressing her all the time, anyway.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I agree. I really liked her look on Wednesday with the blingy belt. In fact, when they were singing together tonight I was thinking all top 5 are very pretty (Amber is actually beautiful IMO) & 4 of them have exceptional voices - IMO the best top 5 girls ever. And as far as styling is concerned, I love the way Angie & Amber dress.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    ITA!
    It still surprises me that most of these singers have never heard Beatles music.
    These kids going on Idol should know enough about the show to realize that they are going to be singing Beatles and Motown songs. To be best prepared to succeed on Idol, they should make themselves familiar with them beforehand.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    Later on when Ryan interviewed Lazaro it became clear that Lazaro changed his song at the last minute (Jimmy had to know this so he's the liar). And from what Nicki said, Jimmy is the one who had him change it. So when Jimmy said they all had the same rehearsal time he knew that wasn't true for Lazaro. What really steams me is that he took the contestant who was struggling most & made him go on stage with the least preparation time. What a tool. (And btw old man, turn your cap around, you ain't no gangsta - better yet, learn to dress like an adult.)
    I'm sure they work on more than one song with Jimmy, so I imagine they are both right. But Jimmy could have explained that rather than just call Lazaro out. Perhaps every week there's "your song" and then "your backup song" and Lazaro didn't really work on his backup song until he switched to it, which Jimmy felt was irresponsible. But I never get why contestants are forced to switch songs last minute on this show so often. Seems really shady- you don't hear about this happening on The Voice.

vCash
    Hm. Seems like Lazaro not having fully prepared is a theme of sorts, though. Maybe behind the scenes they're really annoyed with his lack of professionalism, and they're not really saying that either?

vCash
    I have never gotten the impression that they work on more than one song. Melinda Doolittle is on Idolotry a lot & she talks about backstage stuff all the time & she has never implied that they choose more than one song. She has said that many times the list is very short & it's hard to choose even one song. But she also has said that sometimes the producers choose for you. The only times thru the years where it's clear to me that someone switched his/her song it's also been clear that it wasn't his/her idea.

I don't know if they do it to sabotage the singer or because the show would get a better mix of songs but it never seems to work out well for the singer. But I think it's reprehensible for them to make someone sing a song he doesn't like. They talk all the time about song selection & then they force a choice on young singers who aren't able to stand up for themselves.

BTW, they have had many contestants with a lack of professionalism. These kids aren't pros. Some have more experience than others but all of them need a guiding hand, otherwise they wouldn't need the show. And they knew going in that Lazaro wasn't experienced so why would they suddenly decide to get annoyed?

vCash

BTW, they have had many contestants with a lack of professionalism. These kids aren't pros. Some have more experience than others but all of them need a guiding hand, otherwise they wouldn't need the show. And they knew going in that Lazaro wasn't experienced so why would they suddenly decide to get annoyed?
    :shrug: I dunno. They have to at least have some savvy to get this far - I'd put money on Lazaro being a lot less green than the package infers. And it doesn't take experience to do your damn homework. Seems to me even the package has shown him being encouraged to step up his preparation...only speculation of course, but perhaps they are annoyed because he won't accept their "guiding hand"?

vCash
    Something to consider about Lazaro is that the reason he can sing without stuttering is because singing relies more to the parts of the brain used for memory, while stuttering is connected to the parts that are associated with extemporaneous speaking. As a result, I suspect practice and being settled on what he is going to sing may be particularly important for him, and the AI format just is not one that works for him. It doesn't change that his performances are bad, but I also don't think they necessarily reflect what he could do outside of the reality show constraints.

vCash
    I don't believe that Lazaro was forced to change his song. Jimmy and others may pressure singers to change songs, but the singers have to stand up to them. I remember Casey Abrams doing that. Jimmy was not happy, but I thought Casey made the right choice. I do not believe that Lazarro was forced to change songs at the last minute. And this isn't the first time he's seemed unprepared or uncomfotable. I think people, including the judges are making excuses for him and applauding him for his courage. But, he chose to be on the show and has to abide by the same rules and practices as everyone else. The criticism by the judges this week was really restrained, especially considering how weak his performance was. But he couldn't even deal well with that. I don't think the right response to him is to go really easy on him or make excuses. It doesn't appear to me that anyone has been unfairly hard on him, and that includes Jimmy, who is treating him the way he would treat any other contestant.

vCash
    Lazaro has so little performance experience that he doesn't even know that this type of criticism is usual; and that what he has received is quite "restrained" in comparison with what he might be subjected to, elsewhere.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Lazaro is awful. He is lucky to even be in the top 10 let alone not even know what the bottom 3 feels like at this point. He is probably going to cruise into the top 5 and that is really a shame because I am willing to bet that one of the super talented girls (all of them minus Janelle, even though she is better than Lazaro) will get cut before he does. I can see Lazaro going the week after the save is used. They will save one of the 3 girls if they get a shocking cut and then hopefully Lazaro would be out the door. They would never save him, that is for sure.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I think it would serve the judges right if Lazaro wound up the new Idol. Unfair to him perhaps but they put him through as one of the top 5 best male singers in the country! Is there still a group of "vote for the worst" voting? I may just join them!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by merrywidow View Post
    I think it would serve the judges right if Lazaro wound up the new Idol. Unfair to him perhaps but they put him through as one of the top 5 best male singers in the country! Is there still a group of "vote for the worst" voting? I may just join them!
    Yes. And Lazaro is their candidate this year.
    Beefcake's fancy, saccharine, artsy, drag bingo cliche effusing, bipolar, OTT fashionista manchild

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by merrywidow View Post
    I think it would serve the judges right if Lazaro wound up the new Idol. Unfair to him perhaps but they put him through as one of the top 5 best male singers in the country!
    The judges did not put Lazaro into the top five men...the voting public did. (The judges did pick Lazaro as one of the top 10 men, though.)
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    The judges did not put Lazaro into the top five men...the voting public did. (The judges did pick Lazaro as one of the top 10 men, though.)
    The judges put him in the top 20...the public put him in the top 10. But he should never have been in the top 20.

vCash
    The "judges" should have realized that Lazaro was/is not ready for performing/competition at this level; and may never be.
    The pressure, under which he is already crumpling. is only going to get worse.

vCash

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    The judges put him in the top 20...the public put him in the top 10. But he should never have been in the top 20.
    Unlike Zoanette and Charlie?
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Page 29 of 55 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast