vCash

Article: Renowned Royal Glenora skating club shutting down

Not sure what has happened with the skating program at the Glenora over the years but one thing is certain, it's not the lack of skaters that's the problem. The Ice Palace skating club (Kaetlyn Osmond's club) on the other hand is thriving.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...b-skating.html

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/01/1...s-on-the-brink
    Last edited by Flora; 01-16-2013 at 06:34 AM. Reason: Added additional link

vCash
    how sad - sounds like poor management on behalf of the Glenora. If they've known for awhile there were these issues with the rink you'd think they would have planned accordingly.

I did a google search and found this as well - Jamie Sale is interviewed
    http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/local-oly...gram-1.1116018
    Last edited by La La Candy; 01-16-2013 at 09:06 PM. Reason: added new link

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    It's just so sad the Club that gave us Kurt and Kristi and so many other wonderful skaters over the years is...

vCash
    What a story to be reported during nationals!

Not summer :(
    vCash
    Skating has always only been a part of the Royal Glenora, and a rather pricey bit at that for those who wished to train there. If the membership decides they don't want to spend the money to repair the rink, there's not much the skaters can do about it. It would be interesting to see if the skating club could reinvent itself and find a new home base in the city. As Flora notes, the Ice Palace is thriving -- but it doesn't have to deal with a members-only facility where the members are responsible for the upkeep of the facility. I hope they find a solution to their problem, but I won't be surprised if they don't.
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    the toronto cricket club is experiencing the same technical issue, and is shutting down for 2 weeks during march break (which happily coincides with worlds) to fix the issue. I suspect the glenora skaters will be flocking to the BC centre of excellence...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fan View Post
    the toronto cricket club is experiencing the same technical issue, and is shutting down for 2 weeks during march break (which happily coincides with worlds) to fix the issue. I suspect the glenora skaters will be flocking to the BC centre of excellence...
    Why? Do you think the Royal Glenora is the only club in Alberta capable of training high level skaters?

INTJ
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fan View Post
    I seriously doubt that.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." -- Samuel Beckett

Watch me move
    vCash
    But you know that everyone at the Cricket Club is just dying to imitate Yu-Na, and use any reason to find somewhere else to train because the Cricket Club is such a horrible place.

Just don't come on my rink and be shedding single tears all over it
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really View Post
    Why? Do you think the Royal Glenora is the only club in Alberta capable of training high level skaters?
    not at all. in my limited knowledge in private clubs/elite training facilities in canada, i had made the assumption that this was the geographically closest location for families to send their children - if - they didn't want them to be so far away, yet still want them to be in figure skating only facilities. If there are similar facilities in calgary, which I am not aware of, I would suspect a similar flocking there.

Watch me move
    vCash
    The Royal Glenora is not a figure-skating only facility.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    yes, but it is a private club.

vCash
    So is the Glencoe Club in Calgary. In my experience, people send their kids to these clubs for the coaching, not because they are private. Kaetlyn Osmond has done quite well skating in that lower-class non-private club at West Edmonton Mall. I would expect you would see more going to the Ice Palace than Calgary.

vCash
    The Glenora just fired their Club Manager:
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...tter-ej_sports

vCash
    The bc centre of excellence is really one sheet of ice....they do use 1 other one but honestly it isn't that good and there are not a lot of great coaches minus Aaron and megan