Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    vCash
    Very sad! Hope Alissa gets a full recovery. I will miss watching her at the US Nationals.

vCash
    This is quite sad. I can't even imagine how it must feel - to finally be healed and ready to compete again after such a long period off the ice, and then something like this. At least good to know that it's not as bad as it seemed at first.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    Yes, it is hard to resist, especially when the truth hurts...
    I was really in a snarky mood when I posted this. My apologies to IceAlisa.
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    She looked fine in the competition before she was hurt. Her sp was lovely and up until the injury her fs was nice. The jumps seemed allright. She could have had a chance at Worlds this year again with surely a better result than last year. The vids on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBUWG7G0bk4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWtsR8JZMJw

Let's hope and pray she will be well soon and try again next year. You never know what happens, sometimes results are better than you expected.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    IceAlisa's response was more to the fact certain posters who made multiple negative posts about Alissa last spring have already jumped on the "career ending" bandwagon just as they did before and will soon segue into how she's an embarrassment to USFSA and has always been held up because she beat their favorite skater in competition. We've heard it before. Frankly, nobody knows what the future will hold for her at this point. Those of us who admire her spirit and her skating, wish for a full recovery and aren't ready to consign her to the hasbeen spot. The future is her choice to make and I'm certain she'll do what is best for her.
    Some of us are just being realistic.

I do hope I am wrong because I would absolutely love to see Czisny compete in Sochi but two injuries on the same hip...

vCash
    Yes, that. Not saying it's impossible, because you never know, but if I were a betting man...

At least if the injury turns out to be less severe than expected, it'll be 10 months before she'd have to compete again (or maybe she'll do a summer event).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    Yes, that. Not saying it's impossible, because you never know, but if I were a betting man...

At least if the injury turns out to be less severe than expected, it'll be 10 months before she'd have to compete again (or maybe she'll do a summer event).
    Found an article from 2006...... Funny how somethings just don't change.
    http://www.ocregister.com/sports/-163199--.html

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Cooper View Post
    Found an article from 2006...... Funny how somethings just don't change.
    http://www.ocregister.com/sports/-163199--.html
    Thank you, great article. It makes me furious when people say the sport isn't "progressing." At what cost to a skater's body should the sport progress?

Didn't Kimmie skate with a hinged boot, and she had major problems with it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sadya View Post
    She looked fine in the competition before she was hurt. Her sp was lovely and up until the injury her fs was nice. The jumps seemed allright. She could have had a chance at Worlds this year again with surely a better result than last year. The vids on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBUWG7G0bk4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWtsR8JZMJw

Let's hope and pray she will be well soon and try again next year. You never know what happens, sometimes results are better than you expected.

I saw a lot of people recording those programs. Does anyone have the full long program video?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by apatinar View Post
    I saw a lot of people recording those programs. Does anyone have the full long program video?
    You want to see her fall and lay on the ice until someone comes out and helps? That's the only thing different on the "full" video from the cut one. I'm guessing that all the other people taping also are showing tact by not posting that either.

vCash
    um...Alissa was injured at Worlds last year...although she did not know it. her hip was already torn. if she was skating as well in practices a as people said I would like to think a spot on the world team would not have been out of the question. especially if she were National Champion
    DH - and that's just my opinion

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    You want to see her fall and lay on the ice until someone comes out and helps? That's the only thing different on the "full" video from the cut one. I'm guessing that all the other people taping also are showing tact by not posting that either.
    Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing the fall, just from clinical standpoint. I've never seen a figure skating fall that caused a hip dislocation before as hip dislocations are generally a rare sports injury. So professionally speaking, I'd like to see the mechanics. An animation of the fall would work too, even better but I doubt it exists.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    My guess is that it wasn't the actual FALL, but rather the initial IMPACT (i.e. the landing) that caused the injury. She may or may not have fallen otherwise, but once the hip dislocated, a fall (that she wouldn't get up from) was inevitable.

ETA: of course, no way to know for sure without actually seeing up close and in slow-mo the sequence of events.
    Last edited by RD; 01-22-2013 at 12:29 AM.

vCash
    Frequently, it is caused by the hip muscles not being strong enough to keep the ball of the hip in the socket. A hard impact usually causes the dislocation.

vCash
    I saw the video before it was removed/edited. The fall happened pretty far across the rink and there wasn't anything that stood out iirc aside from her not getting up (at least not from that distance).

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I feel bad for Alissa but it wouldn't be untactful to show the whole video. There are videos all over youtube of skaters/athletes getting injured. Is that untactful? Is anyone going to complain and have them removed? Competitions happen in a public setting, not in the athlete's private home.

I already saw the original video and you couldn't even see anything because the video was so bad. It just looked like a regular fall.

a suburb of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Frequently, it is caused by the hip muscles not being strong enough to keep the ball of the hip in the socket. A hard impact usually causes the dislocation.
    In other words, she fell BECAUSE her hip dislocated. Terrible.

Sometimes people fall because their bone gives way, as in pathologic fractures that can be the result of cancer metastasis or osteoporosis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    The hip ligaments (reading its capsule) and the articulation's configuration (congruency) are responsible for the major part of its stability. The hip is the most stable joint in the human bodu. Frail old ladies may fall hard on their hip and get a fracture, no dislocation even though they have not much muscle mass...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lara View Post
    I saw the video before it was removed/edited. The fall happened pretty far across the rink and there wasn't anything that stood out iirc aside from her not getting up (at least not from that distance).
    Totally agree. There was very little to see from so far away. I hope someone on her team was doing a recording... Just so SHE could see it.

I am very glad they took it down. There was imo nothing to be gleaned from it... Just ghoulish curiosity satisfaction.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiquitaBanana View Post
    The hip ligaments (reading its capsule) and the articulation's configuration (congruency) are responsible for the major part of its stability. The hip is the most stable joint in the human bodu. Frail old ladies may fall hard on their hip and get a fracture, no dislocation even though they have not much muscle mass...
    Well, putting in my two cents. I used to be super flexible, I had an I position on both legs, which basically was pulling my legs out of the sockets. When I hit late 30s I lost most of it, but thank god. Alissa is super flexible, her I spins if they aren't pulling that leg from her hip, well, she's superhuman. Eventually age creeps up on you. I'd venture to guess her femur can very easily be displaced. Mine were. If she does come back, I'd no longer expect an I spin and her spirals will also lose the amplitude. I wish to her not just a speedy recovery, but maybe a realization that she's no longer young enough to consistently contort her body without ramifications. It happens to the best of us.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast