Go Denmark!
    vCash

Danish skating news

No, really

Karina Johnson has retired from competitive skating. She is going to skate in shows on Royal Caribbean starting this March.

article in Danish here.

It basically states her results and that she has been a great representative for Danish skating, brining it to international level again.

It also explains a little about her background that I didn't know - Her mom used to skate in Denmark, and both her parents are coaches in Florida now. Her dad, who is American, was a coach at a Danish rink for a period of time.

I am assuming that the rise of Anita Madsen to senior and winning the Danish championship this year has made her decide to end her career, she didn't get any international assignments this spring.

All the best to Karina!

vCash
    Johnson hasn't been skating well this season and I got an impression that she wasn't really happy skating.

Madsen skated well at Nationals so good luck to her at Euros.

vCash
    Ziggy, was Johnson ever skating well????

Good luck to Karina and thanks for putting the Danish flag on the competition map.

Now can we please have Kierkgaard back?

vCash
    I can remember watching Johnson only a couple of times, but I have this feeling that she looked ready to burst into tears on both occasions.

All the best to her on the cruise ships!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TAHbKA View Post
    Ziggy, was Johnson ever skating well????

I always had a feeling that she was skating because her parents forced her to and yeah it always looked like she was about to break down. :/

vCash
    I miss the Danish MK (am not even going to attempt to spell her name)

vCash
    Great to have Danish Skating News!
    Oh the glorious days of Henrik Walentin, Michael Tyllesen (one of my all-time favourites), Jonny Ronne Jensen and Mikkeline Kierkegaard!
    The Danes have given so many good moments for ice skating!

vCash
    Yep, I was just going to ask if anyone has news on Michael Tyllesen and Jonny Ronne Jensen. I'll add Mikkeline too now . Anyone ?
    Too bad Ronny never made it to big competitions (if I'm not wrong), I saw him skate only once but he did very well, with 3-3 at that that time (maybe even 3A, I'll have to check).

vCash
    Some Danish figure skating news! Who would have thought, it's been a while...

I agree that Johnson looked miserable on the ice. I watched her FS at last years Euros and this seasons Danish Nationals on live streams, and both times were meltdown, sadly. Hope her new path in life is more succesfull.

Hopefully soon we'll have a great Danish skater to put this underrated sport on the map in Denmark.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatak View Post
    Yep, I was just going to ask if anyone has news on Michael Tyllesen and Jonny Ronne Jensen. I'll add Mikkeline too now . Anyone ?
    Too bad Ronny never made it to big competitions (if I'm not wrong), I saw him skate only once but he did very well, with 3-3 at that that time (maybe even 3A, I'll have to check).
    I always liked Michael Tylleson (the original George of the Jungle!) and miss seeing him around as he was always in the audience watching the other competitions. I did see him in Holiday on Ice in the UK a few years ago, but think he has a job "in real life" now. I hope he knows he is remembered!

vCash
    I *think* this might be Tyllessen's own youtube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ShowSkAter?feature=watch

Go Denmark!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sequinsgalore View Post
    Some Danish figure skating news! Who would have thought, it's been a while...

I agree that Johnson looked miserable on the ice. I watched her FS at last years Euros and this seasons Danish Nationals on live streams, and both times were meltdown, sadly. Hope her new path in life is more succesfull.

Hopefully soon we'll have a great Danish skater to put this underrated sport on the map in Denmark.
    yeah, the Danish Skating Federation isn't that great at posting updates on their websites - they didn't even post the international assignments for this spring.

btw you can watch some videos here through this portal: http://www.on-sport.dk/tag/forbund%3adansk_skøjte_union

looks like the latest are from the regionals, though.