Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Why don't you attack me for something I have actually said or done in this thread instead of what you imagine I'm thinking?

To get back onto the subject of the thread, one of the things that bothers me about The Biggest Loser is that they set things up so there are all these "experts" and make it seem like they are concerned about the health and welfare of the contestants. This gives the idea that the things they do on the show are healthy and okay for everyone. We know from interviews with contestants that they are doing a lot of unhealthy things behind the scenes anyone who has researched anything at all about weight loss knows that a lot of what they do out in public isn't healthy or wise either. But someone who just watched the show without a critical eye gets not only unrealistic expectations about weight loss but can pick up some really bad practices.

I was particularly upset the season they had the contestants train for a marathon with hardly any guidance and several got injured from it. Instead of pointing out the right way to train to avoid injury, they gave them major kudos for "overcoming the pain" and doing the marathon anyway. Jillian in particular promotes this "pain is glory" way of thinking. I really doubt that she employed the techniques she uses on the show to lose her weight.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    To get back onto the subject of the thread, one of the things that bothers me about The Biggest Loser is that they set things up so there are all these "experts" and make it seem like they are concerned about the health and welfare of the contestants. This gives the idea that the things they do on the show are healthy and okay for everyone. We know from interviews with contestants that they are doing a lot of unhealthy things behind the scenes anyone who has researched anything at all about weight loss knows that a lot of what they do out in public isn't healthy or wise either. But someone who just watched the show without a critical eye gets not only unrealistic expectations about weight loss but can pick up some really bad practices.
    Rather analogous to the same tired arguments that are made against weight loss surgery: the doctors are out to make a buck rather than care for patients, don't sufficiently warn patients about the side-effects and risks, and give patients unrealistic hopes about their chances of long-term success.

Why not let people decide, with the aid of a physician, what works best for them?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    the same manner of how you gave me negative rep
    You too? Well, at least I'm in a decent company.

vCash
    Jillian's style of tough love is not for everyone. People need to find a trainer who they can relate to and respond to positively. I know I would respond better to Bob's style than Jillian's. I need some positive encouragement along the way mixed with clear expectations. Jillian is just a little to pushy and in-your-face for my taste. There are nicer ways to say the things she does. Honestly, can't they make workouts fun like they are doing for the kids? How about doing some dancing, hiking, biking, etc.? Injecting some humor into the workout sessions would make it much more tolerable too. I would also like to see some cooking competitions in the house, where they reward the player who comes up with the most delicious dishes with the fewest calories, or maybe is able to "makeover" a traditional dish with fewer calories. These contestants need to learn how to use lower calorie ingredients for daily meals and a competition would make them more interested in learning this information.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by madm View Post
    How about doing some dancing, hiking, biking, etc.?
    They do all of those at some point almost every season. For example, last season they tried Zumba and had a great time with it.

I would also like to see some cooking competitions in the house, where they reward the player who comes up with the most delicious dishes with the fewest calories, or maybe is able to "makeover" a traditional dish with fewer calories. These contestants need to learn how to use lower calorie ingredients for daily meals and a competition would make them more interested in learning this information.
    They do, they do...and...they do.

I guess when it comes to watching this show, you don't, you don't...and...nopers...you don't.

vCash
    Glad the show is back and Conda-less. Couldn't believe last season's cast and how it was completely littered with bullies. It was one of the first times that I tuned out in the middle of a season of any show.

I've just recently started running again and watching the show has added an extra kick of motivation for me to keep going and push on when I'm wanting to quit. I was inspired so much a few years ago by the show that I ran a marathon in 2010. After that I stopped running but now that I'm getting back into it I am shooting for another one sometime this year.

Kind of sad -- I read that this season is going to be very abbreviated due to the Voice coming back in March. Not that I like the drawn-out half-a-year seasons in the spring, but they're apparently booting off 3 more people next week, I feel like we're not going to really know half of the contestants at this rate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fridge_Break View Post
    It was one of the first times that I tuned out in the middle of a season of any show.
    I didn't even make it that long. I was sad about all the bullying.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    But it got you moving. I was not a fan of PE, either, especially as a student in the 80s (didn't want to ruin my hair ), but I also watch how many of my students do nothing athletic.

We have one day a week where it is mandatory for the students to exercise for 45 minutes. This can include merely walking. It's amazing how many kids totally balk at this and whine to be able to sit down.
    Not really. I mostly remember coughing up lungs because of Presidential Physical Fitness tests with gym teachers who didn't believe in exercise-triggered asthma (they're lucky it wasn't like a few times as an adult where too much aerobic activity outdoors in warm weather actually caused anaphylactic HIVES--people with airborne allergies are actually not supposed to do intense outdoor activities that increase breathing, for reasons that should be obvious.) I didn't mind dodgeball as I eventually got fairly good at hitting people (same for floor hockey once we got to high school and only played other girls), but in general PE was a long exercise in teaching the less-adept to never, ever perform physical activities in public, ever. Forcing kids into traditional sports and gym activities like rope climbing helps those who are already good at them, but pretty much creates the dislike/fear of exercise in those who aren't good at them.

And I always question Jillian's motives when reading the ingredients on the diet "products" she endorses....tough coaching is one thing, essentially pushing legal amphetamines is quite another.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post

And I always question Jillian's motives when reading the ingredients on the diet "products" she endorses....tough coaching is one thing, essentially pushing legal amphetamines is quite another.
    The product placement on this show is hilarious. "Wow, this Extra Polar Ice sugar-free gum sure tastes great, and contains just five calories! I never tried Extra Polar Ice sugar-free gum before today, but now I just love Extra Polar Ice sugar-free gum! When I return home, I will be sure to chew Extra Polar Ice sugar-free gum and I will tell all my friends to chew Extra Polar Ice sugar-free gum too!"

vCash
    I love that they don't even pretend to be subtle about the product placement.

vCash
    Yes, I am beginning to infer that Jennie-O Turkey just might be a sponsor.

vCash
    And you can wash it down with some clean, filtered Brita water.

vCash
    Has there been any explanation on the show as to how Biingo got that name-o? If there was, I missed it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by heckles View Post
    They do all of those at some point almost every season. For example, last season they tried Zumba and had a great time with it.

They do, they do...and...they do.

I guess when it comes to watching this show, you don't, you don't...and...nopers...you don't.
    I do watch the show every week. They rarely do the activities I mentioned ... maybe once in a season. I'm proposing doing those activities a couple of times per week to make the exercising more fun and the cooking challenges more of a daily thing. It's hard to know what the daily schedules really look like since the show is so heavily edited. And the nutrition stuff they do tends to be more quizzing and less hands-on making meals (although I'm sure they have to feed themselves every day, they don't do the food shopping).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    And you're being an ass.

I just said I don't like the show or Jillian. And why. This is a thread about the show and Jillian which makes my comments perfectly on-topic. And not remotely condescending or vague.
    Well, when you resort to 4th grade name calling...

Love the adult retort. That gives you a lot of crediblity... NOT!

vCash
    I do watch the show every week. They rarely do the activities I mentioned ... maybe once in a season. I'm proposing doing those activities a couple of times per week to make the exercising more fun and the cooking challenges more of a daily thing.
    I would like that too. I would like to see a little less of the politics and vote-trading between the contestants, and a little more about diet and exercise. I also like it when they have a well-known expert visit the contestants, such as when Suze Orman explained the hidden financial costs of obesity.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Guys, can we stop giving she/he on my Ignore list postings please? I put them on Ignore so I wouldn't have to put up w/them and then all of you quote it and it comes back in here and in turn...

ENOUGH!!!

I started this to talk about Biggest Loser. Not for someone to come in here and attack everyone who does not agree w/them like a little First Grader who gets what they want all the time. Which is what you're giving that person by continuing the sniping.

Again...ENOUGH!!

Sorry, but come on....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    The day I stopped taking PE was a good day (11th grade). One of the many reasons I loved grades 11 and 12.

Also not sure how PE fostered interest in anything if one doesn't enjoy it. It certainly never fostered in me the love of the vault or the love of the javelyn. Or square dancing.
    I never, ever understood why they taught us square dancing. I mean, we lived in Massachusetts, for goodness sake. When was I ever going to use square dancing?

I still remember that the PE teachers looked just as uncomfortable teaching us square dance as we did doing it.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    Guys, can we stop giving she/he on my Ignore list postings please? I put them on Ignore so I wouldn't have to put up w/them and then all of you quote it and it comes back in here and in turn...

ENOUGH!!!

I started this to talk about Biggest Loser. Not for someone to come in here and attack everyone who does not agree w/them like a little First Grader who gets what they want all the time. Which is what you're giving that person by continuing the sniping.

Again...ENOUGH!!

Sorry, but come on....
    I beg your pardon? You want everyone to honor YOUR Ignore list?
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    My favorite thing we did in PE was archery. I was awful, but I loved it.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast