Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Anyone else hate January?

Except for figure skating events, that is.

I hate January, always have (or at least, strongly dislike). It's usually the coldest month of the year, colds and the flu runs rampant, the weather sucks in general and the days are short. February is cold, too, but at least the days are getting longer and the lure of spring is closer.

For me, I tend to feel a low-grade depression during the month of January (which is worse when sick) and can't wait for the month to be over and done with.

Anyone else, or is it just me?
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    February is the worst for me. By that point, I'm DONE with the cold weather and just want it to warm up a bit. Snow is no longer pretty. Thankfully it's over quickly.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    I was born in January, so January's done fine by me.

Though in high school, my birthday week was also during finals week. To this day, I don't think of my birthday as a big deal.

vCash
    Hate both January and February because they are generally the hottest month here in Melbourne. We have had a few hot days here this year but in other parts of Australia they have been experiencing an average of 40C degrees every day.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Hate both January and February because they are generally the hottest month here in Melbourne. We have had a few hot days here this year but in other parts of Australia they have been experiencing an average of 40C degrees every day.
    I hate July and August because they are the hottest months here in Seatle! My brother just took off to Austrailia yesterday worrying that it is too hot there. He's starting his trip in Brisbane.

January for me is always a great month because
    -It's cold and I looooooove the cold weather and snow. I think I can be this way since I don't own a car therefore don't drive much.
    -This is the first month of a new year! How can you get not excited about this month!
    -I've had quite some wonderful vacations in January so no complaints from me.

vCash
    I love January! It's nice and slow at work because everyone is recovering after Christmas (although working in a giant shed when it's 35+ sucks). The rink is practically deserted because all the skaters are away on holidays (although the ice melting also sucks). Everything just feels relaxing!

Bit hot. But that's normal.

vCash
    I like January. The days start getting longer, and it's often too cold to be able to snow much (it normally snows more in Feb, when it's a tiny bit warmer.) My family also has multiple birthdays in Jan, including mine. And US Nationals and Europeans are both in January. What's not to like?
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post

I hate January, always have (or at least, strongly dislike). It's usually the coldest month of the year, colds and the flu runs rampant, the weather sucks in general and the days are short. February is cold, too, but at least the days are getting longer and the lure of spring is closer.

For me, I tend to feel a low-grade depression during the month of January (which is worse when sick) and can't wait for the month to be over and done with.

Anyone else, or is it just me?
    Yeah, I get that low grade depression after the holidays too. It is dark in the morning when I go out, and dark in the evening when I get off work. The days are generally gray and cloudy and chilly, not brisk or warm, just that damp uncomfortable cold. Spring is a couple of months off so it feels as if there is nothing to look forward too. Monotonous.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post

I hate January, always have (or at least, strongly dislike).
    Yes, figure skating events are the one comfort in January, otherwise I agree with you. For several years I worked at a job that was insanely busy in January (I would literally work from 8 am until 11 or midnight on weekdays and weekends only meant the possibility of a 10-12 hour day instead of 16) so I thought that was the reason I hated January, but my current job is generally slower in January and I can still feel it...it was particularly bad last year and I have been noticing the same this year. I am hoping that upcoming travel next week will help, I blamed a big part of the way I felt last year on staying home. Even if I'm just going to Minneapolis and Omaha, it is at least a change of scenery and hopefully slightly warmer weather. We have been having a terrible winter here, so I'll take whatever improvement I can get at this point.

vCash
    The only month worse than January is February. Man I hate February. The weather is guaranteed to be dreadful, the days are still short, and it's like winter will never end because after February we still have March to get through.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    The only month worse than January is February. Man I hate February. The weather is guaranteed to be dreadful, the days are still short, and it's like winter will never end because after February we still have March to get through.
    Feb is the worst month for me as well. It's a bit warmer, so it snows more in each storm, and the snow tends to be wet and heavy, not light and fluffy like in Jan. I find Feb dreary.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Yes, January is by far my worst month. Lost my oldest son and my dad a year apart to the day on Jan 23. I was at Nationals with my ice dancing daughter when my dad passed away. I didn't tell Sam until after she was done competing...they medaled that year too...sigh. Absolutely hate January, and have a difficult time getting through it.

vCash
    I can't stand January, abhor February and March is something I just put up with until we finally get to April. What's my problem with winter -- my SINUSES are stuffed from Nov to Apr pretty much every year. Throw in that I don't much like cold and having to drive a car that needs to 1) have all the snow/ice cleared from it before I leave and 2) is freezing cold for the first 15 minutes of driving -- well I will take the heat any day of the week. BTW, I'm a summer baby. Maybe that has something to do with it? My hubby has a birthday in Feb and he much prefers late fall, winter and early spring while I take everything else. Give me heeeeeeeeeeeat!

Does make one wonder why I choose to attend cold weather sports, hey? Figure skating & hockey.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    I am a coach potato this month as I love figure skating, college basketball ( there are games on 24/7) and watching the red carpet on the gazillion awards ceremonies.
    It is very cold out today but I have noticed that our winters here seem to be getting warmer and warmer. Of course don't mention it to folks here because 3/4 think that climate change is propaganda put out by Democrats.

vCash
    January's not so bad for me - it has two paid holidays going for it, I get plenty of time to myself to read, play video games & watch girly movies while hubby is ODing on bowl games & NFL playoffs, plus it's bread baking & comfort food making season! To me what sucks is that loooooong no holiday stretch between MLK Day & Good Friday when the weather is wet, cold & dreary.

vCash
    I never minded it until last year & this. Last year I had a pulled hamstring & could barely walk & this year began with the terrible flu bug that is running wild across the USA. I'm better now still have a slight cough.

vCash
    First two months of the year are my months of moping. It's difficult to motivate myself to get to the gym, get out of bed, get to sleep, eat right.

I try to shake it off but it always gets better when the days get longer. Does it help anyone else to get up with the dawn light?
    That seems to be helping my mood.

vCash
    I had SAD ( seasonal affective disorder) for years and years. Of course I then worked in an office with almost no windows or at least none close to me, and never saw sun or light. Hated January and February, horrible times.

Not too bad now, work with lots of light, not so dark and dreary all the time. Weather much better here than where I use to live far up north. Still hate the cold and ice, but I can get through it without deep depression like the old days.

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    I love January. Europeans/Canadian/US figure skating Championships are the perfect way to start off a year. Plus I love the Freezing COLD!!!!

I dislike the summer months July and August. I hate the HEAT!!! Anything over 50 degrees F is too hot for me.

My 2 favorite months would be January(skating and cold) and October(colorful leaves and the beginning of the colder months).

vCash
    Febraury and March are the hardest for me. Sooooooo tired of grey/cold/snow/wet/windy days...
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast