Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

The Influence Of Jazz On Figure Skating

When compared with other music genre's (e.g. classical, musicals, opera, ballet, popular, etc), jazz, swing, big band, bebop, etc, has had slightly less of an influence on figure skating. Nevertheless, quite a number of programs have been developed and choreographed around the work of many of the great jazz artists. Here are some examples:-

Glenn Miller

Original Music: In The Mood, Moonlight Serenade, Pennsylvania 6-5000, Chattanooga Choo Choo, A String of Pearls

Scott Hamilton - In The Mood

Meryl Davis & Charlie White - 2003/04 Short Dance (Pennsylvania 6-5000)

Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani - 2011/12 Free Dance (2011 GPF) (Sun Valley Serenade - featuring In The Mood, Moonlight Serenade, & Chattanooga Choo Choo)

Duke Ellington

Original Music: It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing), Take the "A" Train, In a Sentimental Mood, Vortex from The River Suite

Tomáš Verner - 2012/13 Free Program (2012 TEB) (It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing))

Jill Trenary - 1986 Olympic Festival LP (Vortex from The River Suite)

Louis Armstrong

Original Music: What A Wonderful World, Mack The Knife, When Your Smiling, Summertime

Kurt Browning - 1989 World Championships - Gala (What A Wonderful World)

Alexei Yagudin - 1998 Olympics - Gala (Play it Again Sachmo + Mack the Knife)

Yannick Ponsero - 2009 European Championships LP (Summmertime, Porgy & Bess)

Miles Davis

Original Music: Kind of Blue, Conchita/Lament from Siesta

Nancy Kerrigan - 1992 Olympics FS (Conchita/Lament from Siesta)

Count Basie

Original Music: Swingin' the Blues

Silvia Monti - Italian Championships 2010/2011 - SP (Walkin' Proud)

Ella Fitzgerald

Original Music: Cry Me A River

Kiira Korpi - European Figure Skating Championships 2011 - Gala (Cry Me A River)

Billie Holiday

Original Music: God Bless The Child

Stephen Carriere - 2007 Junior World Championships - FS (God Bless The Child)

Benny Goodman

Original Music: Sing Sing Sing

Rachael Flatt - 2010 Olympics - SP (Sing Sing Sing)

So, what are your favourite jazz music inspired figure skating programs? If you can, please provide YouTube links to them
    Last edited by Maofan7; 01-13-2013 at 07:42 PM.

vCash
    Another wonderful informative thread started by you, Maofan7, thanks!

I was just headed to bed after a bout of insomnia, but now I'm wide awake, lol.

I would like to add the following:

Louis Armstrong

Oksana Baiul ~ "What A Wonderful World" (my favorite version was at Celebration of Gold, but couldn't find it on youtube): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11gRRzortYM

Mary Beth Marley & Rockne Brubaker ~ "What A Wonderful World" + "La Vie en Rose" (hands down my favorite program of their ever, ah what could have been...): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjhfambKZpo

Billie Holiday

Oksana Baiul ~ "Ain't Nobody's Business": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLE3FKnmB_c

Edith Piaf

Alissa Czisny ~ "La Vie en Rose": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx_fj_6QgA0

Mary Beth Marley & Rockne Brubaker ~ Louis Armstrong's "What A Wonderful World" + "La Vie en Rose" (my favorite program of theirs ever): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjhfambKZpo

And finally, ALL THAT JAZZ ~ Oksana Baiul (genius in every single way is this program, perfect marriage of performer to the music, to the choreography, et al): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VRrW1Q_0nk

vCash
    Art Blakey
    Original piece: Moanin

Kevin Reynolds "Moanin" (I'm not a Reynolds fan but I always liked this program because not only does he skate to jazz but he skates to hard bop, which isn't a type of jazz that is competitively skated to often): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1kCFkBl27A
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    Dave Brubeck
    Original piece: Take Five

Shishkova & Naumov, 1992 SP

vCash
    Laetitia Hubert In the Mood -- anyone recognize the opening piece?

Olga Markova Harlem Nocturne

Nicole Bobek In the Mood, The Mooche, Daybreak Express

Amber Corwin Walk on the Wild Side

Todd Eldredge Walk on the Wild Side

Surya Bonaly Caravan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by modern_muslimah View Post
    Art Blakey
    Original piece: Moanin

Kevin Reynolds "Moanin" (I'm not a Reynolds fan but I always liked this program because not only does he skate to jazz but he skates to hard bop, which isn't a type of jazz that is competitively skated to often): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1kCFkBl27A
    Thanks. Here is another version of it:-

Tara Lipinski & Ilia Kulik

Quote Originally Posted by lulu View Post
    Dave Brubeck

Thanks also. Here are some more versions:-

Chen Lu - 1997 World Championships SP

Patrick Chan - 2012 World Championships - SP

Torvill & Dean - 1996 World Professional Championships - Technical Program
    Last edited by Maofan7; 01-13-2013 at 09:33 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maofan7 View Post
    Thanks. Here is another version of it:-

Tara Lipinski & Ilia Kulik - Moanin
    No problem! Thanks for starting this thread. I love jazz and love when skaters utilize it.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lulu View Post
    Dave Brubeck

Takahiko Kozuka's version (my favorite )

Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Surya Bonaly Caravan
    Another program to Caravan by Bebe Liang

vCash
    One of the most overused music in (American) skating is Sing Sing Sing. One cannot go through any year's Nationals without hearing it at least once. Jeff Buttle had a version of that.

I'm not sure it's true that jazz is used less than popular music in figure skating. At least in North American pop is far less common than jazz in competitions. It seems to me that non-Russian European skaters sometimes use heavy techno, which is in itself a lot more popular in Europe than in North American.

vCash
    [QUOTE=Jun Y;3791838]One of the most overused music.... is Sing Sing Sing.[/QUOTE

It certainly has been used a lot. Here are a few more versions:-

Mao Asada - Superstars on Ice Exhibition 2008

Torvill & Dean - Dancing on Ice 2006

Jeffrey Buttle - 2006 Canadian Nationals - SP

Todd Eldredge - 2008 Exhibition

My favourite is of course - Mao Asada's! Wow Mao at her best - love what she does with the hat!
    Last edited by Maofan7; 01-13-2013 at 09:32 PM.

vCash
    I can call the moon a pear, but it doesn't make it so. -- kwanfan1818

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun Y View Post
    One of the most overused music.... is Sing Sing Sing.
    I'd say it was probably already considered a skating classic by the time Brian Orser used it in 1988.

Big band/swing seems to have been almost as common as classical music all along, especially in ice dance because so much of it is intended as music for social dancing. Also blues has been popular because the slow extended notes work well with extended gliding moves.

Grishuk/Platov St. James Infirmary

And on that note, Summertime has also been very popular.
    Browning does it jazz-style

vCash
    I can't point to the precise source but it might have been Phillip Mills who explained that skaters who are not suited to the ballet style of movements (for example, not naturally long-limb or very flexible) can do well with jazz music. Makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately, sometimes skaters/coaches/choreographers use jazz music to hide poor posture and sloppy, unfinished movements. Loads of skaters use jazz music, but few do it well and gets to the heart of the freedom and spirit.

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by modern_muslimah View Post
    Takahiko Kozuka's version (my favorite )
    Great routine Thanks for the link.

On a time traveling circus... with ice dancing?
    vCash
    I would really faint if skaters chose more Sidney Bechet. Out of Nowhere. His Summertime, which is the best Summertime of all time, even winter and autumn and spring, Sister Kate, I Found a New Baby...

Actually, I'm not sure how his soprano sax would sound in an arena.

So maybe I should adjust my goal to hoping for someone to tackle the bebop era and deliver us Salt Peanuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jun Y View Post
    I can't point to the precise source but it might have been Phillip Mills who explained that skaters who are not suited to the ballet style of movements (for example, not naturally long-limb or very flexible) can do well with jazz music. Makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately, sometimes skaters/coaches/choreographers use jazz music to hide poor posture and sloppy, unfinished movements. Loads of skaters use jazz music, but few do it well and gets to the heart of the freedom and spirit.
    I find that to be very true. Vernacular jazz dance has a very rich history and a lot of movement to choose from. It's all about being lower to the ground (ie, bent knees!), feeling the rhythm, ...and teaching the audience to clap on the second beat. Dance could even do more complex modified air steps, because there are some crazy ones out there that might not involve decapitation once blades are added in.

I'm not sure that a lot of coaches really know where to go to get authentic help with choreography. Lindy hop is a huge scene in Seattle, where I got involved for a time, and the amount of awesome people who travel the world just to teach authentic jazz is astounding. There are even some old timers left, like Norma Miller. But it's a niche, it's a social dance, and they're not well known because they aren't really tapped for Dancing with the Stars or So You Think You Can Dance. They should be, though!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Surya Bonaly Caravan
    A great version of Caravan (Duke Ellington) was Gordeeva & Grinkov's LP from 1985/86, which was mixed in with Stephen Sondheim's, Send in the Clowns
    Last edited by Maofan7; 01-14-2013 at 04:40 PM.

vCash
    My most favorite Jazz program:

Shishkova-Naumov's 1992 LP: Take Five

Crashing Nancy Kerrigan's float in the Disney Parade
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maofan7 View Post
    A great version of Caravan (Duke Ellington) was Gordeeva & Grinkov's LP from 1985/86, which was mixed in with Stephen Sondheim's, Send in the Clowns
    I really think this program left a lot to be desired. That is quite possibly my favorite piece of jazz music, and it felt like G&G just threw it by the wayside. I see no real choreography or attention to detail in the program. I guess I'll never be fond of Zueva.

As much as people derided her skating skills, Bonaly actually had a terrific interpretation of this and IMHO it gave her some sophistication .

I also thought Stephane Lambiel in his 2003 Chocolat http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVH-UWB4EaM (music is at 1:36) had a superb interpretation of this , albeit brief in the program .

I loved Bebe Liang and thought she had such a terrific sense of musicality and showmanship;it's a shame she never performed this program perfectly.

vCash
    Two more favorites from Sebastien Britten

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast