• Johnny Weir

159 52.82%
  • Jeremy Abbott

142 47.18%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    What?

The skater's contribute to the team medal. It's an achievement. It's not like they hand them out to the whole country.
    Well I look at it like a relay medal in swimming and track. It isnt an athletes fault if they werent on a stronger team, and ones who were lucky to be on a stronger one shouldnt be viewed as better than ones they couldnt beat individually. Josh Davis and Pieter Van Den Hoogenband for instance both have 3 Olympic Golds in swimming. Are they at the same level though. Or is Jearl Miles with all her Olympic relay golds equal to Maree Josee Perec who has individual golds instead.

Anyway it doesnt matter since Jeremy with his 4th U.S title has the better career now, regardless of if he wins a Team medal at the Games or not. The only reason Johnny is winning this poll is he has a huge fan base on this forum.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dorianhotel View Post
    While I agree neither maxed out their potential, I think Johnny came way closer to doing this than Jeremy, although Johnny still is nowhere near to Lysacek (who has less talent than both Johnny and Jeremy) in that regard. Evan if anything is a major overachiever.
    IMO, Jeremy Abbott had more memorable performances than Johnny Weir. His wins at 2008 GPF and 2010 US Nationals, with complex choreographies are far superior than any other performance by Johnny Weir (and I like Johnny Weir's skating). JMHO.

vCash
    Jeremy's best performances are better than Johnny's best I agree. They are better than Evan Lysacek's best too, but in this instance Evan's achievements are so superior it doesnt matter. In this case the achievements of the two are roughly equal, so the one who reached the higher level of skating and had more legendary performances at his best probably had the better career.

vCash
    Jeremy! He plodded on and won his fourth Nats title despite being written off.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    I imagine (and hope) that Jeremy will win a bronze medal at the team event.

Then, he can finally call himself an Olympic medallist! (rather than someone who has won several nationals and grand prixs but never won an olympic or world medal, like Oda ... )

vCash
    Almost for sure in a few weeks it is Jeremy. Olympic Team medal (U.S and Abbott are guaranteed that already), 4 U.S titles vs 3, Grand Prix final Champion which is a bigger achievement than anything of Johnny would make it easily Jeremy, even if Johnny has the World bronze over him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sadya View Post
    In Grand Prix competitions, you never have all the excellent skaters in one competition, often not even in the GPF, while at Worlds almost every excellent skater is competing. To me Worlds counts more than a GP or even a GPF. Not that it doesn't mean anything to win a GP or GPF, just not as much as Worlds (or Olympics, though to me a skater who has been able to win many World Championships is a better competitor - which isn't always the same as a better skater - than someone who won an Olympics, because I think it's more difficult to win so many times, even though an Olympics is of course the highest honour).
    I agree GPF is below Worlds in important but winning gold at the Grand Prix final is better than a bronze at Worlds. Just like winning gold at a Worlds is better than bronze at the Olympics.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456