Voters
301. You may not vote on this poll
  • Johnny Weir

159 52.82%
  • Jeremy Abbott

142 47.18%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

vCash
    Both having reached top 10 in World and Olympic competitions is indicative that they are world class skaters though Weir may be slightly ahead if I were to measure their success with actual placings in Worlds and Olympics. Career wise? .... Well, Jeremy is still an amateur so one cannot tell whether he will have a more or less 'successful' career than Weir. Looks like Weir is heading towards celebrity and show skating where Jeremy has shown a lot of promise in choreographing. Interesting talented young men.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Abbott because of the Grand Prix final title which is a bigger achievement than just a World bronze. Also his U.S titles should get much more credit than Weir as the level of skating and competition was much higher.

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ohashibiles View Post
    Abbott because of the Grand Prix final title which is a bigger achievement than just a World bronze. Also his U.S titles should get much more credit than Weir as the level of skating and competition was much higher.
    2004 US nationals, which Weir won, was one of the best skated US nationals in recent history.

vCash
    Surprised Weir is winning this poll. Abbott still has time to change that with more achievements though while Weir no longer has any hope to do anything more in the sport even if he wants to compete.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kuzytalent View Post
    Surprised Weir is winning this poll. Abbott still has time to change that with more achievements though while Weir no longer has any hope to do anything more in the sport even if he wants to compete.
    I agree. Abbott at his best would have easily won gold at Vancouver. If he can land the quad in the SP and skate a LP similar to his 2010 and 2012 FPs, IMO he deserves to be at the top at Worlds this year (although the judges will probably disagree and still put mistake-ridden Chan at the top). At his best he should be the best in the World. Weir, though a unique skater and contribution to the sport, is not the same.

Title-less
    vCash
    This is a poll on who's had a better career, not who's had more potential. Many skaters with potential never made worlds for various reasons.

vCash
    With his 4th U.S title vs only 3 for Johnny, I would rate Abbott for sure as having the better career now. Neither have an international legacy of any kind. Abbott has the Grand Prix final win and Weir the World bronze, which are about the same (I would rate the Grand Prix title higher but who cares, their biggest career worth is all Nationalistic based).

vCash
    Neither one has a great international record. Obviously Abbott now has the better nationals record.

Weir will be remembered for a long time for his uniqueness and his off-the-ice activities. I expect Abbott to be remembered as a "What could have been" by Americans and not remembered by anyone else.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilyich View Post
    Neither one has a great international record. Obviously Abbott now has the better nationals record.

Weir will be remembered for a long time for his uniqueness and his off-the-ice activities. I expect Abbott to be remembered as a "What could have been" by Americans and not remembered by anyone else.
    He still has time to change that. His short program would put him atleast top 3 if he does it at the Games. He must turn in a much stronger long program to ever medal though, unless it is a messfest like last years Worlds.

where all the boys, men, wolves, jocks, otters, cubs, & bears are ;)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dorianhotel View Post
    With his 4th U.S title vs only 3 for Johnny, I would rate Abbott for sure as having the better career now. Neither have an international legacy of any kind. Abbott has the Grand Prix final win and Weir the World bronze, which are about the same (I would rate the Grand Prix title higher but who cares, their biggest career worth is all Nationalistic based).
    LOL. I was just thinking that this thread would probably be rehashed after Abbott's 4th National title, and I agree, Jeremy now clearly has the better career.

vCash
    The way I see it:

4 U.S titles > 3 U.S titles
    Abbott's National winning performances >>>>>> any skate Weir has done in his career
    Grand Prix final gold > or = Worlds bronze
    grand prix event wins- I think both have 3 or 4, so no difference there, and no 1 extra is not the same as 1 extra U.S title for two skaters whose biggest career achievements are their U.S titles

Weir's only real edge I see is more respectable finishes at Worlds and Olympics, but if you dont medal does it really matter.

vCash
    I forgot as well Jeremy is almost certain to win an Olympic medal in the Team event. Canada, U.S, Russia are the almost certain podium in some order. That would really push his career beyond Johnny.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    Johnny is an international star, Jeremy has fans mostly in US. And I don't think, that Jeremy is better artistic skater as Johnny. No. Johnny has more natural talent, like Jeremy.
    International star?

His fame is inflated. Like his ego.

vCash
    How do you guys think the U.S will use Abbott and Brown in the team event. Will Jeremy do both programs, Jeremy the short and Brown the long, or Brown the short and Jeremy the long. I cant see Brown doing both programs, so Abbott should get a medal as the U.S is pretty much a lock for a medal along with Canada and Russia. Japan is the only other country I could see, but with no pairs or dance team (or a really bad one) it wouldnt seem likely they could medal.

vCash
    In terms of artistry: Weir > Abbott
    In terms of international popularity: Weir > Abbott
    In terms of overall career achievements: Weir >/= Abbott
    In terms of fame outside skating world: Weir > Abbott

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bogumil View Post
    In terms of artistry: Weir > Abbott
    LOL

vCash
    This is a sore subject with me, because I like them both and think neither reached his potential due to succumbing to nerves when the pressure was on. Johnny is from my area and I saw him in local competitions since he was maybe 15. I had high hopes for him, as he is the kind of skater I like and he was very good. Also, he was very naturally talented. He did not compete up to his ability, neither does Abbott. Johnny then went Russian and tried to adapt to CoP, which did not help his skating in my opinion. I think both would have done better under 6.0, where they could have used their particular skating skills, which do not include ticking off moves.

vCash
    While I agree neither maxed out their potential, I think Johnny came way closer to doing this than Jeremy, although Johnny still is nowhere near to Lysacek (who has less talent than both Johnny and Jeremy) in that regard. Evan if anything is a major overachiever. Johnny though atleast has gone to the Olympics and skated 2 perfect programs in his own best foot forward for a medal (2010). Ultimately even in a messy event, the judges deemed it not enough, either rightly or wrongly. Johnny has skated very well numerous times at Worlds and close to his best- 2004, 2008, and many times at other internationals. Jeremy has only skated even fairly well in a major event once- the 2010 Worlds.

vCash
    A team Olympic medal would not be an achievement. Only individual medals matter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KimGOAT View Post
    A team Olympic medal would not be an achievement. Only individual medals matter.
    What?

The skater's contribute to the team medal. It's an achievement. It's not like they hand them out to the whole country.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast